IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2011 ISF weekend caliper project

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-10, 11:28 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I took some pics of rotors masked off with my phone if they came out ok I'll post them up
Old 11-29-10, 11:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

The rotors won't corrode. If they don't corrode after track use, they're not going to ever. I wiped mine off after every time at the track and they looked fine afterward.

This is how they looked before the wipe down:

After the wipe down they looked like new again. So painting them is a waste of time.
Old 11-30-10, 12:59 AM
Weapon F

Spend a couple of winter in northeast wear they use rock salt on the roads in the winter then throw in lost of rain. 100 plus degree summer and below 0 degree winters on a car that will be daily driver a scar that will I'll put about 14 to 15 thousand mile year stands great chance of rusting over time. But if you if live in warmer or dryer climate then rust is not a big issue for you lucky I wish lived down
south or out west especially with winter coming lol.
It's rock salt that's causing chemical reaction with metal that causes most of rusting to occur even though rotor and hubs are coated over time this coating starts to break down due road salts and wear and tear. Road racing would help the rotor and hub since moisture causes rusting and having the rotor get nice and hot would help to keep moisture from penetrating the metal it also probably helps that you live In Georgia and don't have to deal with severe winters but I know you folks Due get a lot of rain
Good luck with racing.
PS sorry for any type o using my phone and its 4am in freaking morning l need to get some sleep! Lol

Last edited by Weapon F; 11-30-10 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-30-10, 09:10 AM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The rotors won't corrode. If they don't corrode after track use, they're not going to ever. I wiped mine off after every time at the track and they looked fine afterward.

This is how they looked before the wipe down:

After the wipe down they looked like new again. So painting them is a waste of time.
No offense not trying to be D-bag but I don't think wiping your rotors down will make them look new again they are clearly rusting around the entire outer edge of center section of the hub. And why would track use make your rotors corrode when its water and road salts I'm talking about. The rotor would experience high heat condition at track event making short work of any moisture on your rotors not sure of the correlation between the tracking your car and rust on the rotor and hub section maybe I'm wrong.

Coming from my experience living in the Northeast the same portion of rotor as well as hub that has rusted on your rotor will occur on cars that have been daily driven for few years in our neck of woods, and anything that can help prevent or slow down that process is worth the $75 cost and some time. But once again good luck with tracking your car you should post some pics of you at these events. I plan on tracking my F as well i'll be taking class at Limerock in CT this spring and getting my license I may want to pick your brain for some pointers.
Old 11-30-10, 09:20 AM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by dsg03svt
A few questions:

In some of the pictures it looks like the rotor was painted black along with the hub. Did you tape off the rotor?

Did you clear coat both the hubs and the calipers?

Is the G2 system the one you apply with a brush?

Where did you get your decals?

What did you use to sand the calipers? Grit?

How long did it take you from start to finish?

Thanks!
Here are the pics of rotors taped off if you do this just give the rotor and hub section light sanding this help paint adhere better.
Attached Thumbnails 2011 ISF weekend caliper project-nov_26_2010_7803.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-nov_26_2010_3806.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-nov_26_2010_8517.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-nov_26_2010_8683.jpg  
Old 11-30-10, 03:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by davcrz5
No offense not trying to be D-bag but I don't think wiping your rotors down will make them look new again they are clearly rusting around the entire outer edge of center section of the hub. And why would track use make your rotors corrode when its water and road salts I'm talking about. The rotor would experience high heat condition at track event making short work of any moisture on your rotors not sure of the correlation between the tracking your car and rust on the rotor and hub section maybe I'm wrong.

Coming from my experience living in the Northeast the same portion of rotor as well as hub that has rusted on your rotor will occur on cars that have been daily driven for few years in our neck of woods, and anything that can help prevent or slow down that process is worth the $75 cost and some time. But once again good luck with tracking your car you should post some pics of you at these events. I plan on tracking my F as well i'll be taking class at Limerock in CT this spring and getting my license I may want to pick your brain for some pointers.
I grew up in Iowa. I'm pretty familiar with corrosion from salt and humidity. It's not nearly as aggressive or damaging as what you see on my rotor after a single track weekend. My point is, the center section is already very nicely coated and you'll be hard pressed to see any corrosion from salt or water unless you compromise the original coating. So, paint as much as you like, the original coating would have sufficed and saved you some extra paint work. Seriously, if you think road salt is more corrosive than heating the metal to a dull red at 1200F, I've got a really nice bridge for you. Take a look at any cast iron exhaust header from anywhere - NE, SE, SW, NW - and you'll see what happens to cast iron at 900F regardless of water or salt.

FWIW, after three track weekends, the center section STILL wiped clean. I seriously thought the coating was blistered (when you look at the pics you can see the ring which appears to be blistered paint and corroded iron) but it wasn't. When I wiped it down with soap and water, all the rust came off and the black coating underneath looked perfect. I have no idea what Brembo used, but it's incredibly tough. That's my point.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-30-10 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-30-10, 03:58 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LED guy
It looks awesome, but the fact that you put brembo on it..
Should brembo owners de-badge their calipers? lol

Hey prime cut it's illusion what makes it look rasised are the top coats of clear.
That's pretty awesome. I don't think I put enough clear on it to make mine look beveled. As a result my calipers are also not as shiny
Old 11-30-10, 04:17 PM
LED guy
Former Sponsor

Why not they are Brembo calipers and the rotor are Brembos as well they are both clearly stamped Brembo if you get a chance check for yourself.
Yeah. That does make sense..

You guys think it's possible to get the USB color into a spray can? That would match perfectly.
Old 11-30-10, 04:27 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by LED guy
Yeah. That does make sense..

You guys think it's possible to get the USB color into a spray can? That would match perfectly.
There are automotive paint shops who do this. They'll do a custom match, and put it in the can for you. It's not exactly Duplicolor cheap, but it's the best match you'll find and you know what kind of paint it is (DuPont, PPG, etc.). Call around or go old school and pull out the yellow pages...
Old 12-01-10, 07:29 AM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by primecut

That's pretty awesome. I don't think I put enough clear on it to make mine look beveled. As a result my calipers are also not as shiny
Primecut try this when you get a chance lightly scuff the calipers clean them with proper brake cleaner, then apply one light coat let dry, second medium coat let dry then the last coat which is trickiest one to do apply heavy coat not to much or the clear will run. Let me know how it turns out cheers.
Old 12-01-10, 09:24 AM
Weapon F

Originally Posted by primecut

Primecut here are some shots of calipers and rotors from my 08' IS350
you also see some F-sport spring in some of the shots
Attached Thumbnails 2011 ISF weekend caliper project-1290571217855.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-1290571214434.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-1290571212139.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-1290571211439.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-1290571204643.jpg  

Old 12-01-10, 09:44 AM
Weapon F

additional shots including back brakes
Attached Thumbnails 2011 ISF weekend caliper project-1290571208390.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-1290571186705.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-1290571187341.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-1285448498272.jpg   2011 ISF weekend caliper project-1288819253619.jpg  

Old 12-01-10, 10:43 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

^ Nice job on those and thanks for the tip. When I get a chance I'll def. give that a shot. Like you said it is a pretty time-consuming job so I'm kinda dreading having to go through that process again ha ha.
Old 12-09-10, 10:43 AM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got done with mine. I did them in Red w/ white Brembo decals. The process was easy but time consuming. Only problem I came across was a run in the clear coat on one of the rotors. I ended up having to sand it back down and redo from scratch. All in all I'm very happy with how they turned out. It's good to be able to show-off how nice our brakes actually are, stock. Not sure how I feel about the red though w/ our stock wheels. I think they would look more fitting with a black wheel (something I may do soon). I definitely like it more than the stock black caliper though. Here are some pictures from the day:

Before

Sanded

Taped Off

3 Coats

Done

Old 12-09-10, 11:12 AM
Weapon F

gsg03svt great job I like the contrast of red calipers go's great with your black paint.

Quick Reply: 2011 ISF weekend caliper project