IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

HKS SSM IS F Exhaust Pics Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 11:10 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

I've had HKS exhausts before and they are quality exhausts for sure I would love to have this system for the F when I get one, but damn is it expensive!
Old 02-25-15, 12:45 PM
EpikOEM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
I've had HKS exhausts before and they are quality exhausts for sure I would love to have this system for the F when I get one, but damn is it expensive!
Forgive me for asking, but I thought you already owned an ISF?

The HKS exhaust is a quality exhaust, but I just couldn't justify the cost unless I was going for the sound alone.
Old 02-25-15, 02:23 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^^^Lol...yea I know I've been posting a lot, just joined CL a couple of weeks ago, just trying to get all of my questions answered and my research done before I buy the IS F. I tend to do this when I buy a new vehicle and would rather know ahead of time and feel well prepared for the ownership experience when I do in fact pull the trigger.
Old 02-25-15, 02:26 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Here is a combo I found with the HKS exhaust and the Novel headers. Quite the expensive header/exhaust combo! But it sounds great, I wonder how many IS F owners have this combo??

Old 02-25-15, 02:36 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a really nice piece. If you do just the axle back, it's quieter than the factory. It doesn't boast the most power but sounds really nice. Zero drone even with the mid pipe.

It is definitely on the pricey side but if I had to do it all over again, I would still go the same route. every time I am at any shop with the car on the hoist, a little crowd gathers to take a look it's like a fine piece of jewelry
Old 02-25-15, 04:04 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^^Awesome! Did you get the mid pipe or just the axle back? Are you running headers also with the HKS?
Old 02-25-15, 04:14 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

That HKS/Novel combo sounds nasty (in a good way) but, perhaps, a bit too loud for me and I like loud exhausts (three MKIV Supras, one BPU (not really that loud), one built 3L APU (loud) and one built 3.4L twin-turbo stroker (wake the dead loud). With my GReddy titanium on my IS-F, it is louder than stock, but not so much as to take away from my idea of a gentleman's express. I never installed my NIB headers because I did not want to go over the edge.... We'll see what the future holds.
Old 02-25-15, 06:48 PM
EpikOEM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^^Lol...yea I know I've been posting a lot, just joined CL a couple of weeks ago, just trying to get all of my questions answered and my research done before I buy the IS F. I tend to do this when I buy a new vehicle and would rather know ahead of time and feel well prepared for the ownership experience when I do in fact pull the trigger.
No worries. I was just wondering because you said when you get your F. Don't blame you for doing research. I did the same, albeit, I was lurking and reading a lot before I bought my ISF. I hope you find what you want and enjoy it.
Old 02-25-15, 08:01 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
That HKS/Novel combo sounds nasty (in a good way) but, perhaps, a bit too loud for me and I like loud exhausts (three MKIV Supras, one BPU (not really that loud), one built 3L APU (loud) and one built 3.4L twin-turbo stroker (wake the dead loud). With my GReddy titanium on my IS-F, it is louder than stock, but not so much as to take away from my idea of a gentleman's express. I never installed my NIB headers because I did not want to go over the edge.... We'll see what the future holds.
Ken, nice you see you post again. You probably have one of the rarest exhaust around, Titanium Greddy. I really want to hear it in person. Most of the loudness is from headers so I think your car will be pretty loud with headers. I have Meisterschaft and Sikky and it doesn't get much louder than my setup
Old 02-25-15, 11:58 PM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^Awesome! Did you get the mid pipe or just the axle back? Are you running headers also with the HKS?
Just the axleback. The mid pipe has been discontinued. I did end up cutting deleting my secondary cats.
Old 02-26-15, 07:52 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^^Why would they discontinue the mid pipe section if that basically completes the exhaust and gives the majority of the HP gains right?
Old 02-26-15, 08:50 AM
weswork
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

^^^Why would they discontinue the mid pipe section if that basically completes the exhaust and gives the majority of the HP gains right?
That midpipe item was a USA only piece and was developed by HKS USA. When HKS USA closed up, it went away. There was a Japan only midpipe that had HKSs high flow cats welded in that was called Metal Catalyzer. It was never available for order in the US and not sure if it is still available either. I was one of the lucky (or foolish, depending how you look at it) to get both the axle back and midpipe sections of the exhaust. I love it and would not trade it for any other. However, I have been accused of being an HKS Junkie/Fanboy before.

Last edited by weswork; 02-26-15 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-26-15, 09:19 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^^That makes sense, it's unfortunate that they closed up shop here (U.S.) do you know why?? Considering I have had multiple HKS exhausts in the past, I would definitely count myself in as an HKS fanboy as well because of the quality and zero drone of their aftermarket exhausts!