IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Post dyno results (JOEZ exhaust + JOEZ intake + Tom's air filter) = NO POWER GAIN!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 07:10 PM
weaponX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlosg
Definitively following this thread as I have the same set up Joe's intake and exhaust plus the tom's filter. When I dyno'd my car the rwhp wasn't as much as other's have posted but temp was around 97 degrees. I did gained like 10 rwhp so I'm interested to see if the filter is affecting the air fuel ratio.
Yup, me too. I'm quite interested to see if it is the Tom's.
Old 10-26-10, 08:12 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by weaponX
Yup, me too. I'm quite interested to see if it is the Tom's.
I can't imagine it being the Tom's filter, but we will see. Their products are supposed to be top notch and very well designed and engineered. This will be the first for me, if a high flow air filter either decreases power, or hinders performance numbers to come through, unless it is causing the MAF to go haywire.
Old 10-27-10, 09:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ISFC6
I can't imagine it being the Tom's filter, but we will see. Their products are supposed to be top notch and very well designed and engineered. This will be the first for me, if a high flow air filter either decreases power, or hinders performance numbers to come through, unless it is causing the MAF to go haywire.
Fact is we have no DYNO's to show what the Tom's filter is doing performance wise here in the US..

Maybe it's designed to work well with the stock intake and stock exhaust in the JDM market..!!??
Only time will tell us..

We already DO have several dyno tests proving various issues with various other drop in filters.
We also have reports of problems to modified airbox's or charcoal filters.
These members have experienced rwhp loss or no gain due to those filters or changes they made in that area.

So yes, our MAF sensor is extremely sensitive to changes and might be the cause of issue & cause of rich read outs on the dyno...

Once I get your OBDII plugged in, we will be able to compare what the Air Fuel Ratio readings are with the Tom's Filter vs Oem Filter.

That is IF we don't find any other physical problems with the intake and/or exhaust installation.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-27-10 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-27-10, 12:53 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
It astounds me the level of customer service and professionalism Joe shows to everyone who purchases his products. I have never seen any manufacturer stand by his product or for that matter go out his way to help someone out.
wow, talk about a stand up guy.

joe,wish you worked at the audio shop im having trouble with
Old 10-27-10, 03:23 PM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj
wow, talk about a stand up guy.
No kidding!!!
Honestly when this thread started, and the tone that I was reading those posts with...I would have...well, let me just say I wouldn't be offering to help in the same way Joe Z is helping this guy. It is pretty amazing.

Nice job Joe Z you are the man.
Old 10-27-10, 03:29 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHXF
No kidding!!!
Honestly when this thread started, and the tone that I was reading those posts with...I would have...well, let me just say I wouldn't be offering to help in the same way Joe Z is helping this guy. It is pretty amazing.

Nice job Joe Z you are the man.
Thank you for your encouraging words.
Old 10-27-10, 09:17 PM
MiiK350
Lexus Test Driver

Round of applause for not only a great product but a great guy!
Old 10-28-10, 03:19 AM
archie
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFC6
i wouldnt rule out the filter. back when i owned a g35, there were a ton of dual intakes in the aftermarket, and all but one lost seem to lose power over stock. these products came from reputable manufactures from the g35 world too. just goes to show that not every aftermarket part is suited best for the car, as could be the case with the filter in this car.

and reading over this thread, i cannot help but give joez a huge thumbs up. once again he is going above and beyond what any other manufacture would to make sure the customer is happy, and this piece of mind is alone is a great benefit in buying one of his products (not to mention they are quality pieces). hope you guys can this worked out and give an update here.
Old 10-31-10, 10:53 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb Trouble Shooting the Rich Conditions on this IS-F...

Ok just a quick update for ALL here..

James & I did meet up yesterday here in SoCal.

We got his IS-F on the lift @ MusicBox in South El Monte.
Thanks to the owner Tommy who was able to give us the rack time we needed towards the end of his day.

We started with a preliminary inspection of the Intake & Exhaust Install to check for any possible leaks or any other physical weld or piping issues.
We did not find any..

Inspected the installation of the Two Secondary O2 sensors and found that the wires were wound up.
These wires are critical and should have no resistance on them what so ever.
They always need to remain free & clear with out ever being twisted together..
  • The wiring issues found on both sensors, needed to be corrected for sure.

_[

From that point we waited for the Lexus Master Tech to arrive, before making any changes or corrections.
Once he came we started up the F and quickly began to pull AFR data from the IS-F.

We confirmed the MAF sensor was operating with normal spec.

From the data, we were able to see that the AFR Sensors or Primary O2 Sensors were trying to correct a condition or a problem.
We even compared them to the readings from my IS-F as we plugged into my OBDII for a quick comparison...

His were not normal compared to mine.
However, they were still within the minimum Lexus operating parameters, before the ECU would actually throw a CEL code.
The Tech mentioned that the primary O2 sensors may be going bad..

At this point time was of the essence.
So Tommy and I began to correct the secondary O2 sensor wiring so that when installed the wires were not wound up and had no resistance on them.

I also removed the Intake and Inspected the MAF sensors for any visual issues like dirt, etc or any obstructions and it was clean as a whistle as this IS-F is pretty much still brand new..

At this time we also made the decision to remove the Tom's Filter and re-install the OEM Engine Air Filter.
We did not have time to make one change at a time.

Once again, we started up the F and with the OBDII scan tool, re-checked the data. Their were very very minor changes, but still the AFR sensors were correcting too much compared to my F's readings..

So lastly, we reset the ECU by pulling the two fuses in the Engine Bay.
Started up the F on the second crank and watched the data again.
Ran it for a few minutes and still no major changes... BUT, after another restart and few more minutes of watching, we saw both AFR Sensors readings drop down to normal levels.
The two were now pretty much reading exactly the same and they were also pretty much spot on to matching my F's readings..

It was a good few hours from start to finish, as we had some wait time involved.
But overall, I am certain we have corrected the issue.
This should solve the rich conditions experienced on the dyno and I am hopeful it will solve James' missing rwhp gains...

We will know more once he puts a good amount of miles on his drive home today (250+ miles). Plus it sounds like he will be re-dynoing towards middle to end of this week.
So maybe he can squeeze a few more performance miles on it..

I do have to give a HUGE thanks for Tommy @ MusicBox for his help & lift time and a Huge thanks for my Lexus Master Tech friend who was able to show up and pull all the important data we needed.

Will check back with you all later for any other news or developments..

Happy Halloween!!

~ Joe Z
Old 10-31-10, 11:12 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

^^^^^

This is what being a good businessman is all about.

Doing whatever he can to make things right (even though under no obligation) and continuing to assist the F community.

Hopefully, business is good Joe you deserve it.
Old 10-31-10, 01:27 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Joe,

This continues to be a testament to the type of businessman, individual and friend you are. Taking time to rearrange your schedule and personally work on James' car to rectify the issues he was having with his F. Great job Joe, you continue to impress by your level of commitment and helping attitude towards everyone

To the OP (James),

Glad Joe was able to get this worked out and we look forward to seeing/reading about the new dyno results. Please keep us updated.
Old 10-31-10, 01:49 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Good man, Joe, you went above and beyond.

Good luck James with the re-dyno. Sounds like the issue is probably sorted.
C.
Old 10-31-10, 03:22 PM
Silver88
Driver

Great example of awesome service and support!
Definitely you'll update the install instructions now on the exhaust install =)

As for the Tom's filter, any high flow filter will let through more dirt. I've done countless oil analysis and will only run OEM filters. If the JoeZ setup with oem filter gives 20+whp , no brainer to keep the OEM filter.
Old 10-31-10, 03:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Thanks for ALL the nice words and support Gang!!!

Originally Posted by Silver88
Great example of awesome service and support!
Definitely you'll update the install instructions now on the exhaust install =)
^^ It's been all covered in the below thread, but I guess every installer will have there own methods and way of doing things.

Does anyone know how to locate installation instructions for the JOEZ PTS Exhaust?

See Post #40 - Step 18

Best Regards,

Joe Z
Old 10-31-10, 05:18 PM
sweetbird
Pole Position

Great job Joe! Really nice to take the time and try and fix the issue! Wish more shops had your look on helping people out!

Quick Reply: Post dyno results (JOEZ exhaust + JOEZ intake + Tom's air filter) = NO POWER GAIN!!!!