IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Super Saloons

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-10, 04:43 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Saloons

I know that this thread is about ISFs, but I'm just curious to know.

Between the RS4, M3, ISF, or C63, which of these cars would win in a 1/4 mile, and overall in handling?

I've seen plenty of TopGear videos when they compare cars, and the M3 wins almost every time; which makes me believe that they are a bit biased.

I know that everyone here either has an ISF or wants one, but I'm just curious, if the 4 cars that I mentioned above were offered to you for free, which would you choose?

Also, when it comes to modifications, would the ISF be the fastest? I've noticed that between the 4 common Luxury brands (Audi, BMW, Lexus, Mercedes), Lexus is the only Japanese make, while the other 3 are all German. So, with the ISF being Japanese make, would the modification be easier to increase power and handling?

Just curious on your thoughts, and no, I am not an ISF hater.

For the record, I used to love BMW, but I hate em now. I know that Lexus claimed the ISF to be the M3 Killer, but in a track run, the ISF lost to the M3 by 1/10 of a second. Now, BMW M3 has over 20 years of history behind it to make it better and better, and with Lexus' very first try at a super car, and it only losing to the M3 by 1/10 of a second, is pretty damn impressive.

If the 1st gen ISF wasn't the M3 killer, than I'm pretty sure that the 2nd Gen will put it 6 feet under.
Old 10-17-10, 06:27 AM
my95tsi
Pole Position

To be honest it'd be a toss up between the RS4 and M3 but I think i'm leaning more towards the RS4. Overall just a badass car. As far as modifications are concerned I would think the IS-F and C63 would be lowest on the list with the M3 being highest. There are very few aftermarket parts for the IS-F comparted to these other cars and Lexus doesn't have Dinan.
Old 10-17-10, 07:50 AM
isbeater
Driver

Originally Posted by my95tsi
To be honest it'd be a toss up between the RS4 and M3 but I think i'm leaning more towards the RS4. Overall just a badass car. As far as modifications are concerned I would think the IS-F and C63 would be lowest on the list with the M3 being highest. There are very few aftermarket parts for the IS-F comparted to these other cars and Lexus doesn't have Dinan.

RS4 looks great (RS5 looks amazing, just test drove one today), but Audis never felt that great to drive to me.

In regards to modifications, the C63 has probably the most effective modifications available from an N/A perspective. For a simple and cheap ECU reflash you can get that car to about 530hp IIRC. Renntech and others offer full ECU/exhaust etc packages.
Old 10-17-10, 07:57 AM
mikefate
Lead Lap

big factor is driver. if you cant drive, you cant win.
Old 10-17-10, 10:03 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by mikefate
big factor is driver. if you cant drive, you cant win.
great answer!
Old 10-17-10, 11:39 AM
LexFather

In all honestly with say the STIG at the wheel the M3 is going to edge out the others at the track.

In regards to acceleration the C63 will win that race.

All these cars are evenly matched and really its not like anyone of them is whooping the others left and right. We are talking about close calls in any metric.

We are lucky they are all offered and its just amazing a LEXUS is now mentioned in the same breath with these vehicles.

Old 10-17-10, 11:49 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Given to me for free it would be the M3 cause it comes in a coupe and it prolly has superior handling.

If I were spending my own coin, I'd prolly get the ISF because it is more reliable and less trouble to own. I can make the handling better with mods. Can't get rid of those back doors but I would have to live with them.
Old 10-17-10, 01:27 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if I was racing on a track all day I will take the M3
if I was drag racing all day I will take the C63
if I was driving in the snow half of the year I will take the RS4
but I in SoCal and this was my Daily driver, it need to be reliable first then fun, so I choose the IS-F. The IS-F is the best balance of them all
Old 10-17-10, 02:21 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Do you guys agree that the 2nd ISF will become the true M3 killer? Check these videos out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRDL5hiEMto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwaYyabTr7c

^So, the ISF is pretty damn close to beating the M3. I think when the 2nd gen comes out, as long as its lighter, has a closer 50/50 weight distribution, more hp and torque, and getting that power at lower rpms, will make the ISF a MONSTER!

Thoughts?
Old 10-17-10, 03:44 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd take a C63 or an M3. The IS-F is a nice car but it would be last out of all the vehicles mentioned in the OP.
Old 10-17-10, 03:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by timeToy
if I was racing on a track all day I will take the M3
if I was drag racing all day I will take the C63
if I was driving in the snow half of the year I will take the RS4
but I in SoCal and this was my Daily driver, it need to be reliable first then fun, so I choose the IS-F. The IS-F is the best balance of them all
Still not sure about all day. The IS F brakes can hold up all day. Not sure about M3 brakes. IS F will take a beating and keep on ticking. Not sure of the others.

Originally Posted by Incredible
Do you guys agree that the 2nd ISF will become the true M3 killer? Check these videos out:

^So, the ISF is pretty damn close to beating the M3. I think when the 2nd gen comes out, as long as its lighter, has a closer 50/50 weight distribution, more hp and torque, and getting that power at lower rpms, will make the ISF a MONSTER!

Thoughts?
Well its all speculation but we need to see some NEW vids with LSD equipped IS F's vs the M3 etc. For example in "Battle of the Supercars" the 2010 IS F beat the M3 on the roadcourse.

So we need a NEW yardstick for the IS F. The 2010 model has a LSD, the 2011 has a revised suspension. Not sure how much better (or worse) it does. So the old 08/09 IS F vs videos are irrelevant.

Next IS F hopefully comes with a LSD out the box and may get the rumored RWD torque vectoring system the GS should get first.

Not going to say it will be a M3 beater b/c BMW moves the yardstick every time the M3 debuts and the next model will likely be lighter and will get a TT I-6.

Old 10-17-10, 07:01 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be interested in seeing an ISF coupe. With any luck Lexus will be able to shed an extra 50 lbs or so going from the sedan version to the coupe version.

The ISF right now has more of a muscular, brawny build which looks pretty good. It's sufficiently aggressive.

When you are talking about "aggressive" builds though - in my opinion, there are two general routes one can go

1) "Muscular/brawny" aggressive
2) "Sleek/slender" aggressive

Lexus made a fine vehicle in the ISF going with route #1. I'd like to see them go with route #2 for an ISF coupe.

The only sports car in the Lexus line up that has a general "#2" body design is the LFA at the moment.
Old 10-17-10, 08:18 PM
LexFather

^^^ Good points but it will be tough. First lets all remember the IS F is a skunkworks project and wasn't part of the original IS product line. So considering they got it this good is quite amazing.

Now as for weight it will be tough to keep it down since its based on the GS platform. This means the smaller cars get hurt when sharing platforms with bigger cars.

Will Carbon Fiber be in the future? LFA seems to think so but even that is no true lightweight.

Old 10-17-10, 10:32 PM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

Will it be possible to shed 200-500 lbs for the 2nd gen model? I'm assuming that Gen 2 ISF will be released sometime in 2013-14 with a 2014-15 model?

If the ISF weighs around 3,300-3,500 lbs, the HP is increased to 440hp at a lower rpm (6,000?), and to have its torque at 400 ft lbs at a lower rpm (4,000 would be perfect! It would take off like a bullet.) Also having a near perfect 50/50 weight distribution (im not sure what it is now, but i think its heavier in the front)

The ISF has A LOT of potential to be the ultimate super saloon. Having a lot of CF parts, and having slightly better fuel economy than what it is now, will make the next gen ISF the car to get.
Old 10-18-10, 02:13 AM
isbeater
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In all honestly with say the STIG at the wheel the M3 is going to edge out the others at the track.

In regards to acceleration the C63 will win that race.

All these cars are evenly matched and really its not like anyone of them is whooping the others left and right. We are talking about close calls in any metric.

We are lucky they are all offered and its just amazing a LEXUS is now mentioned in the same breath with these vehicles.
BTW from a roll and from a dig, the ISF is dead even with a C63 due to faster shifting. We've done this a handful of times to verify. At the end of the day it's down to driver, but all the cars are closely matched.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-18-10 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Super Saloons