blckbrd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^love it!
Old 12-23-14, 10:35 PM
Pqbrown
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well done obby, you're getting some nice lip, concavity, all without a huge stretch or rubbing.
Old 12-24-14, 11:25 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by obby
nothing too crazy but really drivable.
]
That looks great, what are your wheel/tire specs.
Old 12-25-14, 09:29 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Those wheels look awesome
Old 12-25-14, 08:28 PM
318ISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spec thirsty, lol
Old 12-26-14, 01:51 AM
obby
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

been a while, but the wheels are Works SP1 in O disc (it will clear BBK for SP1 model) 19x9.5 + 25 and 19x10.5 + 35 wrapped in 245 35 front and 265 35 rear. No fender mod in the front and a mild roll in the rear.
Old 12-27-14, 10:41 AM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by obby
been a while, but the wheels are Works SP1 in O disc (it will clear BBK for SP1 model) 19x9.5 + 25 and 19x10.5 + 35 wrapped in 245 35 front and 265 35 rear. No fender mod in the front and a mild roll in the rear.
Thank you for sharing your specs
Old 12-27-14, 11:04 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Not gonna lie, I love any car that can run a 9.5/10.5 setup and not be considered too aggressive haha.
Old 03-15-15, 02:06 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KJH
Here is my car, lowered on HKS Hipermax M1 coilovers, with 19 x 9.5 +49, front, and 19 x 11 +61, rear, sitting on Michelin Pilot Super Sports, sized 265/35/19s in front and 305/30/19s out back:

Because I like to canyon carve and drive this car in the manner for which it was designed and developed, you will note my set-up "tucks" slightly in the rear and a bit more in front. This allows me to drive the car in my preferred lowered position without worrying about tearing off body pieces if I encounter a bad patch in the road.
I have looked at hundreds of pics of wheel & tire setups, and I like your wheel/tire sizes and stance the best of any of them! I do have one question though - I've seen posts from people who tried 19x9.5 +45 w/295 tires on stock height and it rubbed even with rolled fenders. Your setup puts the edge of the wheel 3mm further out and you're lowered, so how is it that you're not rubbing? Did you do some serious rolling/cutting/pulling of the fender to make them fit? And any issues rubbing on the inside? I'd be worried that an 11" wheel with that much offset would be dangerously close on the side, although I realize that being lowered does push the wheel out a bit.

Last edited by jleonard71; 03-15-15 at 02:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ThisOldNSX (11-04-22)
Old 03-15-15, 05:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
I have looked at hundreds of pics of wheel & tire setups, and I like your wheel/tire sizes and stance the best of any of them! I do have one question though - I've seen posts from people who tried 19x9.5 +45 w/295 tires on stock height and it rubbed even with rolled fenders. Your setup puts the edge of the wheel 3mm further out and you're lowered, so how is it that you're not rubbing? Did you do some serious rolling/cutting/pulling of the fender to make them fit? And any issues rubbing on the inside? I'd be worried that an 11" wheel with that much offset would be dangerously close on the side, although I realize that being lowered does push the wheel out a bit.
+48 is 3mm pulled in, not pushed out, and he's running 265s on the front, not 295s. No doubt it's a tight fit, but knowing Ken, it's probably exactly perfect.
Old 03-16-15, 07:55 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
+48 is 3mm pulled in, not pushed out, and he's running 265s on the front, not 295s. No doubt it's a tight fit, but knowing Ken, it's probably exactly perfect.
I was talking about the rears - he is running 19x11 +61 w/305's, and that wheel sticks 3mm further out than a 19x9.5 +45. And also a 305 tire is 10mm wider than a 295 meaning it sticks out 5mm more on the outside. So that's why I was wondering if he did major fender modifications since guys have had trouble with the 19x9.5 +45 w/295 setup in back.
Old 03-16-15, 11:19 AM
Fsport2UR
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was talking about the rears - he is running 19x11 +61 w/305's, and that wheel sticks 3mm further out than a 19x9.5 +45. And also a 305 tire is 10mm wider than a 295 meaning it sticks out 5mm more on the outside. So that's why I was wondering if he did major fender modifications since guys have had trouble with the 19x9.5 +45 w/295 setup in back.
A 305 tire will stick out 5mm more on the outside over a 295 ONLY if the width of the wheel is the same. 305 on a 11" wide wheel cannot be compared to a 295 on a 9.5" wide wheel. Kens running a 11" wide wheel, 305 tire is made for that wheel size, so it will be close to flush with the lip(give or take a mm or 2). And determining how much a wheel or tire 'sticks out from the outside' is determined by the offset of the wheel. You are correct in that Kens rear wheel sticks out 3mm more than 9.5 +45.

For a 9.5" wheel(with a max tire width of 275), I thought people here were getting away with a +35 offset without a pull or roll. From my own calculations, with a +61 offset Kens rears are still well within the range of rubbing by about 5-6mm. But I hope Ken can post to verify his setup.

Who is running a 295 on a 9.5" wide wheel? That is really pushing it.

Last edited by Fsport2UR; 03-16-15 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-16-15, 02:30 PM
KJH
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
A 305 tire will stick out 5mm more on the outside over a 295 ONLY if the width of the wheel is the same. 305 on a 11" wide wheel cannot be compared to a 295 on a 9.5" wide wheel. Kens running a 11" wide wheel, 305 tire is made for that wheel size, so it will be close to flush with the lip(give or take a mm or 2). And determining how much a wheel or tire 'sticks out from the outside' is determined by the offset of the wheel. You are correct in that Kens rear wheel sticks out 3mm more than 9.5 +45.

For a 9.5" wheel(with a max tire width of 275), I thought people here were getting away with a +35 offset without a pull or roll. From my own calculations, with a +61 offset Kens rears are still well within the range of rubbing by about 5-6mm. But I hope Ken can post to verify his setup.

I'm not sure I have an explanation other than the wheel engineer from DPE, the manufacturer of my wheels, took measurements with me on three separate occasions and this is the result. I stressed I wanted as much rubber as possible "tucked" underneath the car with my tires of choice, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (in the factory diameter). I have the HKS Hipermax M1 coilovers which may, or may not, afford a tad more space. They were on the car when we took the measurements so I don't have a comparison between the coilovers and the Swift springs I had before.

The fenders and quarter panels are not pulled, although we did trim the quarter panel lips a few millimeters, primarily at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions. Once I got the ride height to my preference, I had Evasive Motorsports corner balance the car and give me a performance alignment that works best for how I use the car and still allows me to take advantage of the PSS "300" wear rating.

Still, I almost bit off more than I could chew out back because I assumed, wrongly, the PSSs were similar in shape as the PS2s, with which I am very familiar. The "shoulders" on the PSSs are broader than the PS2s and the rim protectors are a tad more aggressive as well. I experienced very slight rubbing on the driver's rear with my old coilover settings but, now that I have the time to adjust the dampening more to my liking, the slight rubbing seems to have gone away. I will know for sure when I install my OS Giken TCD LSD because I am going to go through another round of corner balancing/alignment in preparation for some local rallies this spring/summer. So far, I like where everything is going, but the rallies and the roval at Auto Club Speedway will let me know if the set-up works as intended.

Ken.
Old 03-16-15, 04:41 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR

You're right, I didn't even think about that. A 295 tire on a 9.5 wheel is going to bulge out quite a bit past the edge of the wheel since a 9.5" wheel is a lot narrower (9.5 x 25.4 = 241mm). With a 9.5" wheel the 295mm tire is going to be 54mm wider than the bead seat, in other words it will stick out 27mm on each side. But a 305 tire on an 11" wheel is only going to be 25.6mm wider (11 x 25.4 = 279.4mm) than the bead seat, and stick out 12.8mm (1/2") past the beat seat on each side - which would put it about flush with the outer edge of the wheel since most wheels have about 1/2" from the bead seat to the outer edge. So even though his 19x11 +61 wheel sticks out 3mm more than a 19x9.5 +45 and a 305 tire is 5mm wider on each side, the 295 tire on the 9.5" wheel would actually protrude a whopping 14.2mm more than a 305 tire on an 11" wheel. Very interesting.

And I don't know about 19x9.5 +35 w/275 in back and no rubbing without rolling the fenders. I just read this post from prada_g who is running 19x9.5 +55 w/265 on 20mm spacers (making it +35) at stock height, and he had slight rubbing on large bumps. So don't know how 275's would fit without rolling the fender.
Originally Posted by KJH
I'm not sure I have an explanation other than the wheel engineer from DPE, the manufacturer of my wheels, took measurements with me on three separate occasions and this is the result. I stressed I wanted as much rubber as possible "tucked" underneath the car with my tires of choice, the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (in the factory diameter). I have the HKS Hipermax M1 coilovers which may, or may not, afford a tad more space. They were on the car when we took the measurements so I don't have a comparison between the coilovers and the Swift springs I had before.

The fenders and quarter panels are not pulled, although we did trim the quarter panel lips a few millimeters, primarily at the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions. Once I got the ride height to my preference, I had Evasive Motorsports corner balance the car and give me a performance alignment that works best for how I use the car and still allows me to take advantage of the PSS "300" wear rating.

Still, I almost bit off more than I could chew out back because I assumed, wrongly, the PSSs were similar in shape as the PS2s, with which I am very familiar. The "shoulders" on the PSSs are broader than the PS2s and the rim protectors are a tad more aggressive as well. I experienced very slight rubbing on the driver's rear with my old coilover settings but, now that I have the time to adjust the dampening more to my liking, the slight rubbing seems to have gone away. I will know for sure when I install my OS Giken TCD LSD because I am going to go through another round of corner balancing/alignment in preparation for some local rallies this spring/summer. So far, I like where everything is going, but the rallies and the roval at Auto Club Speedway will let me know if the set-up works as intended.
As for your comment about being lowered, I would think that would give you a little less clearance on the outside since the wheels get pushed out a bit as you lower it - but it also tilts the top of the wheel in a little giving it a slight negative camber (unless you have that adjusted after lowering it).

I have spent the last few days reading countless posts about wheel fitment and I'm trying to come up with exactly what you said - get the most aggressive fitment without having the rubber stick out past the fender lip and without needing major modification to the fender. But I don't know if I want to go with a heavy 11" rear wheel, I want to keep it as lightweight as possible.

Using your 19x11 +61 as a baseline, I'd likely go with one of these:

9x9.5 +42 265/35

9x10 +52 285/30

Last edited by jleonard71; 03-16-15 at 11:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aggressive fitment IS-F pics!