IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Does anyone know how to locate installation instructions for the JOEZ PTS Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-10, 02:45 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know how to locate installation instructions for the JOEZ PTS Exhaust?

Hello everyone, I just ordered a JOEZ PTS exhaust, intake pipe, and Tom's air filter. I was told that PTS does not have any installation instructions for this exhaust in print. Is this accurate? For those that ordered the exhaust, did it not come with instructions? I am having it installed at the dealer, but for someone that has not installed this particular exhaust, it will be somewhat of a guessing game with no instructions. Some directions are very important, such as what to torque the bolts to, what to tighten first, etc... Please let me know your thoughts...

Last edited by ISFC6; 08-24-10 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 03:10 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The exhaust only goes on one way and should be apparent once under the car. Start from the front of the car and work towards the back, attaching each section individually. The bolts are hand tightened.

If they can't figure that out I'd suggest taking your car somewhere else.
Old 08-24-10, 03:14 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by N54MPower
The exhaust only goes on one way and should be apparent once under the car. Start from the front of the car and work towards the back, attaching each section individually. The bolts are hand tightened.

If they can't figure that out I'd suggest taking your car somewhere else.
I have not taken it in yet, but wanted to inquire if instructions were available, before doing so. I just cannot imagine and have not seen any exhaust systems that are shipped with no instructions. While a lot of it is common sense, there are unique directions for each exhaust, as I have seen from dozens that I have ordered in the past.

I have seen instructions vary greately from car to car, and manufacturer to manufacturer, from Borla, Corsa, Kooks, B&B, etc...

I mean, the JOEZ intake pipe comes with directions, even though the installation is quite simple. The exhaust is more complex, so why no directions are available for the exhaust?

I just fear that something may be installed incorrectly, due to the lack of instructions.

Last edited by ISFC6; 08-24-10 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 03:38 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ISFC6
I have not taken it in yet, but wanted to inquire if instructions were available, before doing so. I just cannot imagine and have not seen any exhaust systems that are shipped with no instructions. While a lot of it is common sense, there are unique directions for each exhaust, as I have seen from dozens that I have ordered in the past.

I have seen instructions vary greately from car to car, and manufacturer to manufacturer, from Borla, Corsa, Kooks, B&B, etc...

I mean, the JOEZ intake pipe comes with directions, even though the installation is quite simple. The exhaust is more complex, so why no directions are available for the exhaust?

I just fear that something may be installed incorrectly, due to the lack of instructions.

With all of those exhausts you mentioned they generally use slip fit pipes which are like putting together an erector set, so yes there is a need for instructions to put it together. The Joe Z exhaust uses no slip fits (one of the reasons I bought one) and has a proper 2 bolt flange on each pipe with a corresponding gasket and hardware.

FWIW I have a $3000 HKS titanium exhaust on my Evo and that didn't come with instructions.
Old 08-24-10, 03:42 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by N54MPower
With all of those exhausts you mentioned they generally use slip fit pipes which are like putting together an erector set, so yes there is a need for instructions to put it together. The Joe Z exhaust uses no slip fits (one of the reasons I bought one) and has a proper 2 bolt flange on each pipe with a corresponding gasket and hardware.

FWIW I have a $3000 HKS titanium exhaust on my Evo and that didn't come with instructions.
Yes, I hate slip fits, as they always leak. I guess there is a first time for everything, regarding no instructions. I have bought exhausts and headers (both flange and slip fits) for a Lightning, 2 Cobras, 2 Corvettes, Infinti, Camaro, and they all supplied directions, so there is always a first time. I am hoping that JOEZ can at least give me some important pointers.
Old 08-24-10, 03:49 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just look for the installation thread. pretty straight forward. paid 80 bucks to get it installed. i didn't take it to the dealer.
Old 08-24-10, 03:52 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
just look for the installation thread. pretty straight forward. paid 80 bucks to get it installed. i didn't take it to the dealer.
Wow, $80.00 is dirt cheap. The reson that I am going to a dealer, is due to warranty and liability issues, when compared to a mom and pop exhaust shop.
Old 08-24-10, 03:57 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

yea im sure u can just pm joe z if u have problems. he will be glad to help.
Old 08-24-10, 04:00 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
yea im sure u can just pm joe z if u have problems. he will be glad to help.
The dealership is charging me a flat rate for a maximum of two hours installation time for both the exhaust and intake pipe with filter, so I need to have all of my ducks in a row, before bringing the car in.
Old 08-24-10, 04:27 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

^surprised they are going to warranty anything for doing the install of an aftermarket part?? what exactly would they be able to warranty besides their work?
Old 08-24-10, 04:29 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bulls23337
^surprised they are going to warranty anything for doing the install of an aftermarket part?? what exactly would they be able to warranty besides their work?
Warranty their work and anything that they may possibly damage during installation.
Old 08-24-10, 04:44 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

You def don't need directions. Trust me. Everything is completely obvious. Just make sure you remember to put the underbracrs back on.
Old 08-24-10, 08:56 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 169 Likes on 78 Posts

Search is your friend https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-f-w-pics.html
Old 08-24-10, 10:49 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I nd ISF
I had seen that thread a while ago, just pictures. Still no installation instructions.
Old 08-25-10, 07:45 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

In the past I have had two sets of aftermarket exhaust on older cars. None came with installation instructions, because everything is intuitive. The only exhaust I know of the comes with instructions is the Borla, because they use so many slip fit parts My F has a custom exhaust, because I wanted to keep the stock mufflers. However, may I suggest that you take it to a GOOD muffler shop for installation because that's all they do. But, anyone with any kind of sense about an exhaust system should have no trouble installing the JoeZ Good Luck.

Lou

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to locate installation instructions for the JOEZ PTS Exhaust?