IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Continental Extreme DW

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 04:58 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eXstasy
Thanks for the detailed pics and review.

How is the sidewall feel? Does the extra width of the tire cause any noticeable sidewall slop? In fact, how are the sidewalls on these in general? Stiff as the PS2s??
You mentioned that these have absolutely no downside. Can you tell me what pressures you normally run? I've heard that Continentals have softer sidewalls and you may have to air them up a little more than stock.
Old 01-27-11, 05:57 PM
J2K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
I'm here to tell you that 285/30/19 works just fine with our stock wheels on the rear. Today I put on Continental Extreme DW 245/35/19 on the front and the 285s on the stock wheels. Every thing fit just fine. Pics. are attached showing the rear tire bulge, which is much less than I expected. IMHO, these fit just fine.

1. The Rear Tire Tread

2. The Front Tire Tread

3. The Rear Tire Sidewall Bulge

4. New and Old Front Tires

Lou
Just curious how the 285 fits on the 9 inch rim when the specs indicate a 9.5" - 10.5" width??? Is this just a recommended width? I was under the assumption that the 9" rim was too small for that tire.
Old 02-05-11, 08:37 PM
YJacketISF
Rookie

Do you expect these to last longer than the stock PS2s?
Old 02-05-11, 11:39 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Tread life is amazing. I believe they have a 50,000 mile warranty. I saw it somewhere. They look BEEFY.
Old 02-06-11, 07:35 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^There is no treadlife warranty on the Continental DW. This is a performance tire, and to expect 50K miles out of them is sheer folly. The DW as is the PS2 has a tread compound and construction designed for handling not for long wear. These have a D and W embossed on their tread (for Dry and Wet) when the W wears away they will no longer be acceptable for driving in the wet, and when the D wears away, the tire should be replaced. The DW does have a wear rating of 340 versus the wear rating of the PS2 of 220. This number really does not mean a lot as it's not consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer, so take it with a grain of salt.

I do not replace tires when they are worn away, I replace them when I feel the Handling has been comprised or they start making noise. If I get 20K miles out of these I'll be extremely happy.

Originally Posted by J2K
Just curious how the 285 fits on the 9 inch rim when the specs indicate a 9.5" - 10.5" width??? Is this just a recommended width? I was under the assumption that the 9" rim was too small for that tire.
Because tire manufacturer's tend to be a little conservative. However, IMHO, the 285/30 is the widest cross section that should be mounted on the stock wheel.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 02-06-11 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-06-11, 09:19 AM
YJacketISF
Rookie

Originally Posted by ShadowISF
Tread life is amazing. I believe they have a 50,000 mile warranty. I saw it somewhere. They look BEEFY.
I think you're thinking of the DWS. Those have a 6yr/50k warranty. Was just curious if people were expecting them to last as long as the PS2s at least.

^^^^There is no treadlife warranty on the Continental DW. This is a performance tire, and to expect 50K miles out of them is sheer folly. The DW as is the PS2 has a tread compound and construction designed for handling not for long wear. These have a D and W embossed on their tread (for Dry and Wet) when the W wears away they will no longer be acceptable for driving in the wet, and when the D wears away, the tire should be replaced. The DW does have a wear rating of 340 versus the wear rating of the PS2 of 220. This number really does not mean a lot as it's not consistent from manufacturer to manufacturer, so take it with a grain of salt.

I do not replace tires when they are worn away, I replace them when I feel the Handling has been comprised or they start making noise. If I get 20K miles out of these I'll be extremely happy.

Because tire manufacturer's tend to be a little conservative. However, IMHO, the 285/30 is the widest cross section that should be mounted on the stock wheel.

Lou
Low, how many miles do you have on them now? I assume you are still having a good experience with the 245 front and 285 setup on the rear? No disadvantages over the stock PS2s thus far? I need new tires, and this is the setup I think I'll be going to.
Old 02-06-11, 09:23 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^I've only got about 4K miles on them so far. I have not noticed any minuses over the stock PS2s only pluses. Ride, handling, noise are all improved. The wider footprints are square with the road, and there is no uneven wear.

Lou
Old 02-06-11, 09:35 AM
YJacketISF
Rookie

^^^^I've only got about 4K miles on them so far. I have not noticed any minuses over the stock PS2s only pluses. Ride, handling, noise are all improved. The wider footprints are square with the road, and there is no uneven wear.

Lou
Great thanks. Now to just find a set, they seem on backorder a lot of places
Old 02-06-11, 09:36 AM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by YJacketISF
I think you're thinking of the DWS. Those have a 6yr/50k warranty. Was just curious if people were expecting them to last as long as the PS2s at least.

Low, how many miles do you have on them now? I assume you are still having a good experience with the 245 front and 285 setup on the rear? No disadvantages over the stock PS2s thus far? I need new tires, and this is the setup I think I'll be going to.
The OEM tire sizes are available on the Conti DW.Just look 'em up on tirerackby vehicle. Why would you put different sizes on the stock wheels? Just curious. Am I missing something?
Old 02-06-11, 01:11 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Did you not read my posts These tires in these sizes are an improvement (in every area, IMHO) over the PS2 in the stock sizes. IOW, IMO, THEY WORK BETTER

Lou
Old 02-06-11, 02:28 PM
Bobisf
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^Did you not read my posts These tires in these sizes are an improvement (in every area, IMHO) over the PS2 in the stock sizes. IOW, IMO, THEY WORK BETTER

Lou
My apologies Lou .. I just read the whole thread .. understood .
Old 02-06-11, 09:26 PM
ShadowISF
Lexus Champion

Oh, I think I was talking about the DSW. LOL. Thanks for the correction.
Old 02-07-11, 09:34 AM
YJacketISF
Rookie

Do any of you guys know how the DWS would be compared to the DW? It appears the DW are on national backorder =( 4-6 weeks at least it seems, and I need tires now. So would the DWS be close enough? I know it's an all-season, but I'm just trying to figure out if it's going to take a big performance hit compared to the DW. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 02-07-11, 11:41 AM
robbys3m3
Driver

I know a couple of guys on here have been running the DWS and are very happy with them. I plan on buying the DWS as my next tires also. Fwiw, I'm currently running them on my SRT8 Grand Cherokee and love them. Different application I know, but they have done great during our recent snow storms here in Tulsa.
Old 02-08-11, 02:46 AM
m3twof
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the great info!

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme DW