IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Continental Extreme DW

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-11, 05:52 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by YJacketISF
Have about 100 miles on these. I agree with Lou that these are in every way superior to the stock. Not sure if it's b/c I just went from pretty worn down tires to new tires, but I don't remember the stock brand new ever stayed as planted as these do. For those wondering about pressure, I had them filled with nitrogen to 36psi and they seem to work great. I'll try to get on them harder in the corners once the tires are a bit more broken in to see if I notice the soft sidewall people are mentioning, but so far so good.
Thanks for the feedback. Definately let us know about the sidewalls...the soft sidewalls I've heard about with these tires are what's holding me back from getting them...Darshana S...
Old 02-28-11, 07:09 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how are these tires in heavy rain conditions???? And if i use them in the winter, how will they perform when im not driving in snow conditions
Old 02-28-11, 09:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

^^^^I addressed rain in post #21:

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
It doesn't rain much here in AZ, but last thursday, I was unlucky enough to be caught in a downpour, my first experience with rain since I installed the Continentals, and they handled with aplomb. They longer I have 'em the more I like 'em
As far as snow - NO-NO The DW is a summer tire. Ice and snow are not summer conditions. The Continental DWS is an all season tire that can be used in winter. There is however, no substitute for a dedicated winter tire for use in snowy and icy conditions.

Lou
Old 02-28-11, 10:58 PM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^I addressed rain in post #21:

As far as snow - NO-NO The DW is a summer tire. Ice and snow are not summer conditions. The Continental DWS is an all season tire that can be used in winter. There is however, no substitute for a dedicated winter tire for use in snowy and icy conditions.

Lou
I see, but my question is that i cant still use the tire in the wi ter correct? I dont use my car when it snows but during the cold winter times they are usable? Im just getting confused since its says summer tires that u cant use them in the winter.
Old 02-28-11, 11:30 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I cannot understand how people can say things like soft sidewall...the PS2 has THE softest sidewall in the industry, but it still works fantastic and predicatably. So perhaps the phonomenon is something due to compound selection.

I will look at these for my wheel packages Lou, it looks like a good fit when they get them back in stock in a 305. Conti's have been know to run wide, so who know what they will do in the 305 size as there is no constant in the tire industry apparently.

I also saw a new PS3 and when they become available I think it will be a popular tire as well. I will snag a pic, my tire guy gets all of TireRacks take offs and they must have mounted a first release tire.

Never use summer tires in the winter guys, the compound gets super hard in the cold temps and becomes shear. No little pores to grip with. If it does not have an M+S rating, its probably gonna roll out on you if you gun it. Its all about operating temps. That being said you can baby it and get away with a lot, but for optimal performance its best to follow guidlines.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 03-01-11, 04:03 AM
rhy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is anyone running 245/285 tires on a lowered car? Any rubbing issues?
Old 03-01-11, 07:15 AM
Bigrahizzl
Lexus Champion

Just canceled my order and will go with DWS
Old 03-02-11, 10:22 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FIGS
I will look at these for my wheel packages Lou, it looks like a good fit when they get them back in stock in a 305. Conti's have been know to run wide, so who know what they will do in the 305 size as there is no constant in the tire industry apparently.
I will be interested to get your take on these

Lou
Old 03-02-11, 10:39 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Talking to my tire guy, he did a track test in TX last year. A few evo vehicles with various tires, potenza re050, michelin and the conti DW. He found them to behave sub par in a track setting, mostly over temp issues. He said it would be a fine street tire and for the most part I doubt many here would push them to over temp as a DD application. I think they will make a good fit for my some of the wheels that are on the heavier side, that would not see the track anyway. Checking on pulling some strings to get the 305 version and I will get a full rolling set on these Forged Specialties wheels.

The nice thing is that they are offered in a wide range of sizes (mimicking the PS2), we will see how the overall profile is on the x11 wheel. You could run these DD and then get some PS2 for the track if you are so inclined. Save the money for the fun days

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 04-15-11, 04:57 PM
eXstasy
Rookie

Originally Posted by FIGS
I cannot understand how people can say things like soft sidewall...the PS2 has THE softest sidewall in the industry, but it still works fantastic and predicatably. So perhaps the phonomenon is something due to compound selection.
Yes, sorry, let me rephrase my question and describe the handling characteristic instead of asking about a physical trait of the tire. I've had OEM PS2s. I'm currently on Hankook v12s (275/30/19 in the rear). I like these tires but they are lacking in 2 areas compared to the PS2s.

Cornering Stability
Steering Response

The only way I could get them close to PS2 levels in these aspects was to run at least 42psi in them. I tried 36, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43psi in the rears. Anything below 42 and the rear of the car seems to be playing catch-up in turns and in quick direction changes. I do NOT like this feeling. What is the point of all that grip if the tire inspires no confidence when the road is not straight?

After reading this thread, I intend to try the Continental DW next and hope they will be better than the Hankooks. I hope I do not have to air them up so much just to fix their inherent sloppiness.
Old 04-15-11, 06:09 PM
FIGS
The Maker

I still got nowhere trying to order these tires in the sizes I needed. No call back for the rep to my local tire guys. I will report if I can ever acquire them.
Old 04-16-11, 12:59 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eXstasy
Yes, sorry, let me rephrase my question and describe the handling characteristic instead of asking about a physical trait of the tire. I've had OEM PS2s. I'm currently on Hankook v12s (275/30/19 in the rear). I like these tires but they are lacking in 2 areas compared to the PS2s.

Cornering Stability
Steering Response

The only way I could get them close to PS2 levels in these aspects was to run at least 42psi in them. I tried 36, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43psi in the rears. Anything below 42 and the rear of the car seems to be playing catch-up in turns and in quick direction changes. I do NOT like this feeling. What is the point of all that grip if the tire inspires no confidence when the road is not straight?

After reading this thread, I intend to try the Continental DW next and hope they will be better than the Hankooks. I hope I do not have to air them up so much just to fix their inherent sloppiness.
that seems to be my issue with the right side but I have the bridgestones on and even going slow my car loses tract on the rear passenger side. i just hope it is just the tires cuz i ain't going back. planning to get either the new michelins or continental extreme.
Old 04-19-11, 07:48 AM
CCColtsicehockey
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone that has these had an issue with getting these to get a good bead lock seal. I have a brand new set on a brand new set of wheels. 3 of them are absolutely fine. I have been dealing with leaks in the third on the inside edge and have now had the bead reseated 3 time with bead lock and there are still small leaks.

I am wondering if it possibly could just be a bad tire completely. The wheel has had a submerged leak test and the leak only comes from the tire edge no other leaks on the wheel.
Old 04-19-11, 02:05 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

I believe I was the first member to put these on an F. I have no issue with leaks. They are still (IMHO) an awesome tire. You probably got a bad one

Lou
Old 04-27-11, 02:09 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

has anyone tried the new mich. super sports? aren't these supposedly better than the ps2's?

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme DW