Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Continental Extreme DW

Old 02-08-11, 05:10 AM   #46
mooretorque
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Unhappy

Conti DWS are currently on back order at Tire Rack in several sizes including OEM tire size plus several others in both 18" and 19". I'm feeling Tulsa's pain down here in Little Rock where we've had lots of very cold rain and several snow events with one bearing down on us tomorrow. (Barely had the F a month and I'm already thinking about a set of cold weather wheels/tires which led to some research on Tire Rack in the last two weeks.)
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Lest we forget: 2001 GS430,2004 RX330,1999 RX300, 1994 ES300,1993 SC300 5MT, 1991 SC400
Lexus owner since 1991
mooretorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 07:04 AM   #47
melbitoast
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (1)

^^^
Is Tire Rack the only place to order them? I'll need tires soon as well, but I have not started looking. Does Firestone/NTB/Discount Tire, etc carry them?

*** EDIT: I just saw you're looking for DWS. I'll only require DW. Austin rarely gets any ice or snow although we did get 2" last Friday. Shut the entire city down!

MODS to-be-done: sway bar, springs

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
melbitoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 07:14 AM   #48
YJacketISF
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXstasy View Post
You mentioned that these have absolutely no downside. Can you tell me what pressures you normally run? I've heard that Continentals have softer sidewalls and you may have to air them up a little more than stock.
Those of you that have the Contis, what pressure are you running? And any notice of soft sidewalls?
Old 02-08-11, 07:17 AM   #49
YJacketISF
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbitoast View Post
^^^
Is Tire Rack the only place to order them? I'll need tires soon as well, but I have not started looking. Does Firestone/NTB/Discount Tire, etc carry them?

*** EDIT: I just saw you're looking for DWS. I'll only require DW. Austin rarely gets any ice or snow although we did get 2" last Friday. Shut the entire city down!
You can get them pretty much anywhere but if you go with the 245/285 setup, the 245s are out on national backorder for the DW. The DWS is however in stock. I would prefer the DW, but I need tires soon soon! I'm embarrassed to say, one of my fronts is showing cord. Must be all the heavy cornering
Old 02-08-11, 07:27 AM   #50
Supraman16
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJacketISF View Post
Those of you that have the Contis, what pressure are you running? And any notice of soft sidewalls?
I'd like to know this as well. I've heard the same thing about the DW's...Darshana S...
2008 StarFire Pearl Lexus IS-F: JoeZ Exhaust, AutoCouture Front Lip, Lexon Rear Deck Spoiler, Custom Front Grill, FSport Rear Sway Bar, Tom's GT Shifter, HOEN 3000K Fogs, MTEC 4750K DRL's, Polarg Wedge LED's, Tanabe Front Under Brace, 19" WedsSport SA-67R Wheels, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, HKS GT4 Coilovers.
1997 Custom Pearl Supra TT: Too many mods to list !
Supraman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 07:39 AM   #51
melbitoast
Lead Lap

Quote:
You can get them pretty much anywhere but if you go with the 245/285 setup, the 245s are out on national backorder for the DW. The DWS is however in stock. I would prefer the DW, but I need tires soon soon! I'm embarrassed to say, one of my fronts is showing cord. Must be all the heavy cornering
LOL, wow man.

Thanks for the heads up though. Perhaps I should go ahead and order them since it will take a while. Does it say how long it will take before the 245s are ready?

Old 02-08-11, 08:33 AM   #52
YJacketISF
Rookie

Quote:
LOL, wow man.

Thanks for the heads up though. Perhaps I should go ahead and order them since it will take a while. Does it say how long it will take before the 245s are ready?
Yea, it's on the right tires inside edge =( I should have inspected my tires sooner. The time frame is all over the place but bank on 4-6 weeks at least it seems, from what I've heard. I think I will have to go with the DWS even though we hardly get any snow in Atlanta.
Old 02-08-11, 09:59 AM   #53
lowrideraz
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

Quote:
^^^

I got my DW at a Discount Tire Store. I have a long standing relationship with the store AM, and I ordered mine expecting a 3 to 4 month waiting period, as my friend told me. My Michelins still had enough tread to make it that long. However, 3 days later, he called me and said he knew some one at Continental Corporate, and they pulled my tires from there and they were on their way to the store. The rest is history

Lou
Old 02-08-11, 10:09 AM   #54
YJacketISF
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrideraz View Post
I got my DW at a Discount Tire Store. I have a long standing relationship with the store AM, and I ordered mine expecting a 3 to 4 month waiting period, as my friend told me. My Michelins still had enough tread to make it that long. However, 3 days later, he called me and said he knew some one at Continental Corporate, and they pulled my tires from there and they were on their way to the store. The rest is history

Lou
How much did you pay out the door for the set?
Old 02-08-11, 10:22 AM   #55
YJacketISF
Rookie

Quote:
Yea, it's on the right tires inside edge =( I should have inspected my tires sooner. The time frame is all over the place but bank on 4-6 weeks at least it seems, from what I've heard. I think I will have to go with the DWS even though we hardly get any snow in Atlanta.
Ahhh, I take that back, I will be getting the DW afterall. I finally found a store locally that must have better connections than the others. Getting my new shoes soon.
Old 02-08-11, 11:36 AM   #56
melbitoast
Lead Lap

^^^
Nice! No more cords!

What size setup are you purchasing, and how much is it running you (if you don't mind)?

Old 02-08-11, 12:40 PM   #57
YJacketISF
Rookie

Quote:
^^^
Nice! No more cords!

What size setup are you purchasing, and how much is it running you (if you don't mind)?
I'm going with the DW 245/35 and 285/30 in the rear. One of the shops here locally that works with some higher end cars manage to find the 245s. I think they might have contacted the Continental Corporate office to get them b/c no one else could get them, even online. It's not the cheapest tire shop, but they are one of the go to places for high end cars so at least I won't have to worry about my rims or anything. I'm going to end up paying a little under 1400 out the door. Not sure if that's a deal or not. Seems reasonable though.
Old 02-08-11, 01:17 PM   #58
lowrideraz
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (5)

Quote:
I'm going with the DW 245/35 and 285/30 in the rear. One of the shops here locally that works with some higher end cars manage to find the 245s. I think they might have contacted the Continental Corporate office to get them b/c no one else could get them, even online. It's not the cheapest tire shop, but they are one of the go to places for high end cars so at least I won't have to worry about my rims or anything. I'm going to end up paying a little under 1400 out the door. Not sure if that's a deal or not. Seems reasonable though.
Quote:
How much did you pay out the door for the set?

I paid $1200 OTD. But, $1400 is a good price - Jump on it

Lou
Old 02-12-11, 06:34 PM   #59
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

Rebalanced. then re road force balanced, must have been a bad set. Oh well my PS2's are better just have to pay more.

2007 Lexus IS350
2006 Lexus GS300AWD
2010 Hyundai Santa Fe SE
s6 4rings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 05:17 PM   #60
YJacketISF
Rookie

Have about 100 miles on these. I agree with Lou that these are in every way superior to the stock. Not sure if it's b/c I just went from pretty worn down tires to new tires, but I don't remember the stock brand new ever stayed as planted as these do. For those wondering about pressure, I had them filled with nitrogen to 36psi and they seem to work great. I'll try to get on them harder in the corners once the tires are a bit more broken in to see if I notice the soft sidewall people are mentioning, but so far so good.
Old 02-18-11, 05:17 PM