IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Reconsidering the Factory Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 07:20 PM
torxuvin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Update to the old thread. There is a Lexus Service Bulletin advising Lexus dealers to reset the yaw zero point any time the wheel alignment is changed. This is definitely news to me, and I'll bet to a lot of Lexus dealers. Those who have had impossible to resolve pulling issues should look into this as a possible cause of the pull. The service bulletin is L-SB-0015-08, and it clearly states - Disconnect Battery & Perform Zero Point Calibration
After Wheel Alignment Adjustment. They don't go into detail on why, they just say "do it."
Interesting... So they think it's an electrical setting that needs to be reset?
Old 04-03-14, 07:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

It's the zero point on the yaw sensor for the VDIM. Remember, there is a steering input/output in VDIM, and it gets data from the yaw sensor.
Old 04-03-14, 04:51 PM
JKweezy
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

It's the zero point on the yaw sensor for the VDIM. Remember, there is a steering input/output in VDIM, and it gets data from the yaw sensor.
Can we do this ourselves (zero point calibration) or do you need the techstream software?
Old 04-03-14, 04:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Must have techstream.
Old 06-15-14, 05:37 AM
mrkim
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I've read about 4hrs worth of searching about the alignment for the ISF, I have to say this is much helpful,

I just like to revise this thread just in case someone is searching OR open up another one...

to make things quicker..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5601996-post13.html

click on the PDF on that...

By the way will be doing these settings once I get my set of tires.
Old 06-23-14, 09:23 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Update to the old thread. There is a Lexus Service Bulletin advising Lexus dealers to reset the yaw zero point any time the wheel alignment is changed. This is definitely news to me, and I'll bet to a lot of Lexus dealers. Those who have had impossible to resolve pulling issues should look into this as a possible cause of the pull. The service bulletin is L-SB-0015-08, and it clearly states - Disconnect Battery & Perform Zero Point Calibration
After Wheel Alignment Adjustment. They don't go into detail on why, they just say "do it."
Thanks for the info. I got a new alignment on my F a couple of months ago based off of your numbers, so I'm assuming I'll need to get this zero point calibration done on my 2012? If so, does the dealer charge for this calibration?
Old 10-15-14, 05:26 AM
jlam86
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Would it be recommended to still aim to dial the toe to 0 if I am installing the lca bushing from figs?

Trying to maximize performance at the same time not change my tires every 25k. ..

And if I bring a print out of the pdf on post 13 of "reconsidering factory alignment" thread for the alignment shop to mimic, it will be a good starting point correct?
Old 10-21-14, 02:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by jlam86
Would it be recommended to still aim to dial the toe to 0 if I am installing the lca bushing from figs?

Trying to maximize performance at the same time not change my tires every 25k. ..

And if I bring a print out of the pdf on post 13 of "reconsidering factory alignment" thread for the alignment shop to mimic, it will be a good starting point correct?
zero toe will maximize tire life and compromise turn in. A little toe out will help turn in, but reduce tire life. It's just the nature of alignment.

My specs are a good starting point. You'll need to adjust for your conditions and driving style.
Old 10-21-14, 04:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had mentioned these settings to the tech at the local dealership and he said that these setting would affect handling negatively. Like you always say, has anyone proven that these alignment specs can maintain equal performance , or are we all just trying to stretch our tire life and dollars ?? Never seen a performance car get 25-30k from a set of tires. Between track days and AZ heat Im happy with 15k
Old 10-21-14, 05:59 PM
scamsel
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't think anyone is saying 0 toe is equal performance, its the small trade off between tire wear and performance. i believe lobux toes his back out a little on track days

they are just tires like you say they are gonna get eaten up anyway in AZ!
Old 10-22-14, 06:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I had mentioned these settings to the tech at the local dealership and he said that these setting would affect handling negatively. Like you always say, has anyone proven that these alignment specs can maintain equal performance , or are we all just trying to stretch our tire life and dollars ?? Never seen a performance car get 25-30k from a set of tires. Between track days and AZ heat Im happy with 15k
Has he driven the car with these settings? Somehow I doubt it. I have. They work fine for street driving. I could vary toe by 3 mm from out to in and you (and anyone else in this forum) would not notice the difference driving on the street.

It's not just tire life, it's also traction under braking. When you brake the tires toe out a lot and you lose grip because of it. So arbitrarily saying affect handling negatively is just stupid and shows his ignorance of the specific configuration we have. The whole reason the insides wear out fast is because the inside edge of the tire is doing all the stopping. Why bother putting a 225 on the front of your only plan to use 30mm of tread to stop the car?

I once heard a dealer tech talking about turning radius and confusing it with scrub radius. I don't have a lot of belief in what I hear from the majority of dealer techs, especially when it comes to chassis setup.
Old 10-23-14, 01:49 PM
toky916
Pole Position

So I was at the dealer been dealing with the issue for a while now and last time they just said its normal. I brought up the zero point he told me right away that it's not going to do anything -__- have to drive again with the master tech kinda dissapoiment when this is a issue.
Old 11-10-14, 11:07 AM
RMA
Driver

Just to update this thread I will be having Michelin PSS installed later today (everyday NON track car) & tires are the O.E. size. As an everyday driver for balance of performance & tire life I should go by the Gran Turismo 770-455-0347 spec sheet posted above ? Thanks for all suggestions.
Old 11-13-14, 04:04 AM
RMA
Driver

My car still goes to the right slightly while driving at around 50 MPH after the factory alignment specs. I did not have the tech perform the Gran Turismo, but maybe I will have him redo the whole alignment to that setting. I also ordered the Figs front LCA bushings which should arrive today/tomrw. I will look into the Techstream after the 2nd alignment is done (I heard from 2 Lexus techs its not really necessary).
Old 11-13-14, 07:02 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Is the tech an old guy who has been doing alignments for years or is he working with green/red indications? I've only met a couple of young guys who I would trust to get it right. Most of the guys I know who are good at this do a lot if it with basic tools.

Quick Reply: Reconsidering the Factory Alignment