IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Show me Baby Seats in the IS-F!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-10, 11:00 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We were testing fitting our Graco Snugride in the car just earlier and watched this Youtube video and it says they "recommend" the child stays rear facing for one year or until they hit 30lbs.

I do have a question though - what do you guys use to protect the car leather seats?

We bought an Eddie Bauer Padded seat protector but using it seems to cause the base to slide around a bit. It does not have enough tact to stay put on the cold leather. Do you guys just use bath towels or is there a good brand to use?

Any pictures would help along with a brand for the seat protector!

Happy Thanksgiving Clublexus!
Old 02-17-11, 02:20 PM
jblessing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to put a rear facing car seat in the middle of the back seat of the ISF? Could you just put some kind of pad on the middle (to protect it) and use one anchor from each side to secure the car seat?
Old 02-17-11, 04:16 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

jblessing - I don't think that would be safe. The precious cargo in the seat is not worth rigging that up.
Old 02-17-11, 04:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Replace the rear seat with the ISx50 rear seat, install the third seat belt, and there you go.

Putting the seat on the existing rear seat center console is a very bad idea.
Old 02-17-11, 07:40 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DHRP
jblessing - I don't think that would be safe. The precious cargo in the seat is not worth rigging that up.

AGREED - I would not risk that kind of rigging for my baby! This is one of the reasons my wife and I are selling our car.

rick
Old 02-18-11, 05:36 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by s4play
AGREED - I would not risk that kind of rigging for my baby! This is one of the reasons my wife and I are selling our car.

rick
Sigh,, thats why my 08 IsF is gone and the 11 Sienna is in the driveway..
Old 02-18-11, 06:58 AM
DHRP
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Sigh,, thats why my 08 IsF is gone and the 11 Sienna is in the driveway..
Nothing wrong with that. My wife loves her Ody. It's living room on wheels!
Old 02-18-11, 07:13 AM
jblessing
Driver School Candidate

So I guess, that's a no?

Right now I'm just looking at the 350 vs F, and I haven't had a chance to see an F in person to see how that rear center console works/is built. Our current car seats just use the latches in the seats, and not the seat belts, to anchor down...so I thought it may work. We already have these seat protectors for our current leather seats that I could use to protect the console. Would the console just not support the car seat in case of a crash?

Not that this would be how we normally would drive around (that's what the Odyssey is for), but in a pinch could it work?
Old 02-18-11, 10:00 AM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jblessing
So I guess, that's a no?

Right now I'm just looking at the 350 vs F, and I haven't had a chance to see an F in person to see how that rear center console works/is built. Our current car seats just use the latches in the seats, and not the seat belts, to anchor down...so I thought it may work. We already have these seat protectors for our current leather seats that I could use to protect the console. Would the console just not support the car seat in case of a crash?

Not that this would be how we normally would drive around (that's what the Odyssey is for), but in a pinch could it work?
No, the center console doesn't have a latch or seatbelt so the car seat will be jumping and moving around in the back while driving. Not a good idea. You will have to place it in a back seat and use the latch as the F does come with 3. 1 at the top and 2 at the bottom on both left and right seats. If you are using the rear facing car seat use the 2 bottom latches. If you are using the front facing, only use the top. Also read the manual on the car seat cuz it is very important. I work at a hospital so I have some car seat training experience. lol

Last edited by Evil Teo; 02-18-11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-18-11, 10:59 AM
huksa
Rookie

Here is the picture of my back seat driver! She controls me by kicking the backside of my seat

Recaro booster fits nicely into the contoured rear seat of IS F. The only catch is that the belt buckle is hard to reach until you get used to it..

I also use a Takata rear facing seat for my son (not pictured). It has a wide bottom and does not agree to the deep bucket of the seat bottom. I actually had to pack a blanket under the child seat.

Old 02-18-11, 12:50 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

^Cute picture man thanks for sharing!

Wow 2 baby seats in an IS-F, pretty brave man
Old 02-18-11, 02:22 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I took these pics a few months ago.
Attached Thumbnails Show me Baby Seats in the IS-F!!!-img_1752.jpg   Show me Baby Seats in the IS-F!!!-img_1753.jpg  
Old 02-18-11, 02:33 PM
SUPERBRINO
Pole Position

I love knowing our cars are super sweet and kid friendly
Old 02-21-11, 10:53 AM
TyreKckr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jblessing
So I guess, that's a no?

I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but if there's absolutely no other way around it, I think you could use a rear facing seat in the middle if and only if you use the "in-board" lower seat latches from the driver and passenger sides. I did this in a Volvo S60, which has equally tight rear accommodations, although it did have a middle seat. It wasn't that difficult snapping the LATCH system connectors into the inner posts of the driver and passenger connectors and I was pull hard on the belt tightener to very securely fix the seat.

As you already appreciate, the problem probably isn't going to be latching the seat securely - it's going to be finding a rear facing seat that will sit flat and stable on the narrow platform that the F has in lieu of the middle seat in the x50s. You might have to stuff some foam on either side of the rear console to widen the platform enough for the rear facing seat to sit solidly.
Old 02-21-11, 02:42 PM
Raralith
Intermediate

I was wondering if you fathers could possibly tell me which baby seat you are using, and whether you like it? My wife and I are expecting our first, and she drives a Highlander so we are buying 2 seperate ones so I need one for my IS 350. While I've put in a baby/child seat for my niece (from 2-5 years of age), I hated the thing because it was so damn hard to put in and in the inclined seats too. Any advice, reviews, recommendations? Should I be using a rear facing baby seat for infants?

Quick Reply: Show me Baby Seats in the IS-F!!!