Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes...Happy Father's Day.
Old 06-21-10, 09:46 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

I made a rear facing seat fit in my Supra. The witch at the store where we test fit the car seat summarily announced, "You're going to have to sell this car!" She had that evil witch grin when she said it. It just made me all the more determined to make it work.

I had to remove the cover and cut the foam to make it work, but it worked like a charm and the ex (5' 5") was able to sit in the front with only a small squeeze.

Besides, it's not that long until they're big enough to turn around.
Old 09-21-10, 10:44 PM
lexneffect
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the IS-F is well suited for rear facing baby seats....my IS never fit one well before.
Old 09-22-10, 12:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Besides, it's not that long until they're big enough to turn around.
lol technically about 1 yr long

we just try fitting the infant carrier with car-base this past weekend on my gs350. it's very tight. with our normal driving position (or front passenger position), there is very little space left.

and when changing to a rear facing car seat, depending on brand, it can be even larger. and in my case i don't think it will fit at all unless i move my seat or put it in the rear middle.

with that said, on the isf (no rear center), that's a tough one, unless the front passenger compromise quite a bit
Old 09-22-10, 09:13 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^rominl: Rear facing seats take up an eNORMOUS amount of space because of the required 45 degree angle and tie-downs. I have a Sunshine Radian portable seat which will not fit in the IS-F for sure. It does fit in my SUV but it's certainly no small seat!

Luckily your GS has a middle seat option which the IS-F does not. One the child becomes big enough to be forward facing I think the IS-F is fine but for now she won't be riding in my sedan, luckily we have 2 suv's....

We are planning to use a Peg Prego travel system for now and will pick-up a car seat adapter for our Bugaboo stroller we just got. This will allow ease of transport without having to unbuckle her from the car seat each time.

rick
Old 09-22-10, 11:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by s4play
^rominl: Rear facing seats take up an eNORMOUS amount of space because of the required 45 degree angle and tie-downs. I have a Sunshine Radian portable seat which will not fit in the IS-F for sure. It does fit in my SUV but it's certainly no small seat!

Luckily your GS has a middle seat option which the IS-F does not. One the child becomes big enough to be forward facing I think the IS-F is fine but for now she won't be riding in my sedan, luckily we have 2 suv's....

We are planning to use a Peg Prego travel system for now and will pick-up a car seat adapter for our Bugaboo stroller we just got. This will allow ease of transport without having to unbuckle her from the car seat each time.

rick
of course you want to use travel system, using the carrier and just a base is so much easier. we have graco.

but yeah, none of these are small at all. when it's forward facing for sure it will be better, but i think that's 29 inches / 1 yr so still some time before that happens

for one second i was afraid my gs can't take it, then it's for sure another car coming... but i am glad we have another option.
Old 09-22-10, 12:27 PM
bunker108
Driver School Candidate

You all had me worried! So I just went to do a test fit. I already have a forward facing Alpha/Omega Elite for my 3yo. And we just bought a new baby trend travel system for my second son coming in November. I put the rear facing behind the pass seat and the forward facing behind me. Yeah my son kicks the front seat a little, but no big deal. The rear facing fits fine too.

We had a Graco rear facing/travel system for our first son, but it was just too big. The seat was ok but the stroller was huge! The Baby trend seat and the stroller system much smaller than the old Graco we had. The Graco was hard to get into the trunk of my previous IS300, but we survived.

I would find another car-seat before finding another car. I love my ISF and still miss my IS300!!!
Old 09-22-10, 07:58 PM
mikefate
Lead Lap

ill take pics of my recaro seat in the F. its pretty tight back there
Old 09-22-10, 08:11 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

We'll see soon how our Graco works, as our daughter is due in a month. We test fit the seat, and it fit well enough. Of course it doesn't leave a lot of room for the passenger in front.
Old 09-22-10, 10:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by rominl
lol technically about 1 yr long ...
Unless I'm mistaken, it's 20 lbs or 1 year old for rear facing. My son was forward facing by weight in 4 months. No, he wasn't fat. He was 95the percentile for height and 60th percentile for weight. He was born 6 lbs 7 oz, 22 1/2" long. He left the hospital at 6 lbs 3 oz, and weighed nearly 10.5 lb at one month old. His weight doubled in the next 3 months, So we were only 4 months rear facing. I was glad we bought a seat with a detachable base, and that could be turned forward facing up to 40 lbs.
Old 09-22-10, 11:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Unless I'm mistaken, it's 20 lbs or 1 year old for rear facing. My son was forward facing by weight in 4 months. No, he wasn't fat. He was 95the percentile for height and 60th percentile for weight. He was born 6 lbs 7 oz, 22 1/2" long. He left the hospital at 6 lbs 3 oz, and weighed nearly 10.5 lb at one month old. His weight doubled in the next 3 months, So we were only 4 months rear facing. I was glad we bought a seat with a detachable base, and that could be turned forward facing up to 40 lbs.
not "or", but "and"

http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/pdf/childsafety.pdf
http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/pdf/...s_for_kids.pdf

so it has to be at least a year. (at least for CA)

Last edited by rominl; 09-23-10 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-23-10, 12:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

not "or", but "and"

http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/pdf/childsafety.pdf
http://www.chp.ca.gov/community/pdf/...s_for_kids.pdf

so it has to be at least a year. (at least for CA)
I looked up the law in California, and the CHP's guideline is not consistent with the law. Graco said NOT to put the child rear facing once he was over 20 lbs in the model I had. No state law says AND, they all say OR.

Ideally, we'd all be rear facing because it is a lot safer in the event of a frontal impact. It's how we fly on many military aircraft.

My son outweighed even the 30 lb limit on most current seats in less than a year. Saying "one year" arbitrarily is foolish.
Old 09-23-10, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

can you post link to law where it says OR? that's going to be crucial on when i switch over. time to study my graco manual more...
Old 09-23-10, 01:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

can you post link to law where it says OR? that's going to be crucial on when i switch over. time to study my graco manual more...
Direct from the source:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/wa...ction=retrieve

It actually says nothing about rear facing in the rear seats at all. It specifically says no rear facing seat in the front with an active airbag. Nothing more.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-23-10 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Show me Baby Seats in the IS-F!!!