IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 05:41 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

There is nothing in the bulletin that indicates that is the case.

I believe that if a customer goes in a Dealership and explicitly states they do not want the modification (and in writing) then they will not do so.

They would have to state that this is a mandatory update and come up with a disclaimer for a consequence if the customer does not have it done within a defined time frame.

Lexus performing a change to your vehicle not explicity stated as mandatory and against the express instruction of a customer not to do so just opens up a can of worms that I think Lexus will not want to open up.
Old 04-15-10, 05:44 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
There is no, "election." They will do this change 10 years from now, or tomorrow morning.

In your absent mindedness, if you give them the car for an oil change, when they hand you back the key fob, it's done.

Do not mistake this for a choice. You're only choice is to not take the car for service to Lexus.
They won't do the work unless you as the customer AUTHORIZE it. There are plenty of people that go to dealerships that opt out of doing certain recalls or bulletins for their vehicles because frankly, they don't feel anything is wrong w/ their vehicle and that the repair is unecessary. They will not automatically do work to the vehicle without consent of the owner..
Old 04-15-10, 05:48 PM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the call today after reading this thread. They also said they want to install a brake override system and remove some carpet padding. I'll schedule it for my car's next service.
Old 04-15-10, 09:15 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

I have been burned on this before. A safety or emission related recall with the NHTSA does not require your authorization if they already have it to perform other work.
Old 04-15-10, 09:25 PM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

If you specifically state "you DO NOT want it" is a different scenario than not saying anything.
Old 04-15-10, 09:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by eric_r_ho
They won't do the work unless you as the customer AUTHORIZE it. There are plenty of people that go to dealerships that opt out of doing certain recalls or bulletins for their vehicles because frankly, they don't feel anything is wrong w/ their vehicle and that the repair is unecessary. They will not automatically do work to the vehicle without consent of the owner..
They probably will on Leases and of course cars currently in Dealer Stock.

Corrective Actions for Vehicles in Dealer Stock
Dealers should perform this recall remedy to new and pre-owned vehicles, based on parts availability, immediately prior to owner delivery. Please ensure that a warranty claim is filed for these vehicles as the work is performed so that they may be correctly identified as completed.

Joe Z
Old 04-15-10, 09:31 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I got the call today after reading this thread. They also said they want to install a brake override system and remove some carpet padding. I'll schedule it for my car's next service.
Let them know who ever called you needs to familarize themselves with the IS Model -> Lexus Service Bulletin pdf.

NOTE
�� The IS models do NOT require modification of the floor pan surface.
(carpet padding)

Joe Z
Old 04-15-10, 10:36 PM
Reciprocal
Driver

You can tell them not to do the work, and to remove your speed limiter. It is non binding on them.
Old 04-16-10, 04:46 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

Thanks JoeZ. I'll make sure I get that clears up with them. Knowing my dealer they will charge Lexus to get more $$ just because.
Old 04-16-10, 07:18 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Reciprocal
You can tell them not to do the work, and to remove your speed limiter. It is non binding on them.
You're right. As you said before you should not go back to Lexus dealership then. We all have choices.
Old 04-16-10, 07:28 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to go to the dealer this weekend for my rev needle and touchscreen problems. Even though I haven't received the letter yet, do you guys think they'll proceed with the pedal and software updates? Can they do it without notifying me beforehand? I don't want this update, I guess I'll have to mention it during my visit to the dealer and state that I haven't been informed properly by Lexus yet, and I don't want the updates until I receive a formal notification, right?
Old 04-16-10, 07:32 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

I recommend that you let them know that you are aware of the recall, which I confirmed w/ my dealership, even though you have not received a notice ( I have not either), and that you specifically DO NOT want it performed and to put it down in writing.

They should tell you right then and there whether they will say no problem it's your choice or we HAVE to do it.

I think it will be the former.

If you do this, let us all know what they say.
Old 04-16-10, 08:12 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

^^ All our VIN's will be flagged in every Lexus dealership accross the USA...

If you are opting out of this recall, then it will be your duty to inform your Service Consultant that you do not want this update...
Each & Everytime you bring your car in for service...

They may have you sign a waiver, if they create one.

If you don't say anything, you run the risk of the dealership tech updating your car with the lastest safety measures pushed down by Lexus Japan / USA..

Lets say you trade your car in, or your lease is up. As soon as the car goes through a dealership inspection. They run the VIN on it and perform every recall or update as required.
Plus, the dealerships get paid by Lexus Corp. to perform the recall on ever affected Lexus model. (the more, the better)

Last time my F saw a dealership was the day I drove it off the lot.. I opted out of my 1st free inspection and my 1st free oil change..

Joe Z
Old 04-16-10, 08:28 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

I don't disagree that there are cooperative service advisers who might try to accommodate a customer request not to do something, but be mindful that for a safety recall, the technician who's going to do the work could be operating under separate directions check the VIN for any current safety recalls, and perform them as a matter of course.

Once it happens it's too late. I believe a safer course of action is we need to come up with a clamshell lockout to cover the OBDII port, and padlock it. I would still ask the service advisor not to do it, but when the tech tries to anyway, he goes back to the service advisor and asks if the customer left him a key, or does he know where it is, he can't get into it.

You have to assume, the technician is otherwise not looking for a piece of paper authorizing him to do anything. The assumption is it's already authorized, a customer signature was needed, and now he's got the car that proves that was done.

I say you have to be very careful even with a service advisor you trust, because break in communications, and that flash updater is mating with your car.
Old 04-16-10, 09:14 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Last time my F saw a dealership was the day I drove it off the lot.. I opted out of my 1st free inspection and my 1st free oil change..

Joe Z
The dealer has seen my F twice. Once for the 1K mile inspection and resetting of the LPS. And again, when I had my mirror updated. They did not do my first or second oil change, I did.

Lou

Quick Reply: Anyone else get a call from the dealer on gas pedal recall?