IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IS-F intake shootout. indep dynos for Injen and AFE Takeda

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 07:03 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Mike - Glad to see you are taking the steps in dyno testing these open element intake systems for the Club..!!

You should add K&N to the mix as well...

I have never seen anything like this placed inside an intake tube......

Joe Z
the mustang's MAF units used to have this sampling tubes
changing the size of the MAF would need a different sampling tube
we were actually going to try something similar we well but didn't know how to calibrate it without a flow bench
Old 04-06-10, 08:28 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Figs, I have a complete SRT intake I can send you for FREE for you to test and keep, if you want to have extra fun!

Running the Injen now and loving it
Old 04-06-10, 10:28 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by timeToy
Figs, I have a complete SRT intake I can send you for FREE for you to test and keep, if you want to have extra fun!

Running the Injen now and loving it
Now that would be interesting.
Old 04-06-10, 10:36 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
I'm picking up the Takeda intake today, I'll let you know my perceptions on it as well compared with the JoeZ
Mike

Ah, congrats my friend Let me know what you think of it.

Figs

I have installed both systems, the Takeda on my car, and the Injen on a friends F. The Injen requires much more removal of stock components than the Takeda. IMHO, it would make more sense to install the Takeda first, do your tests, then remove the additional stock stuff, and install the Injen. Just a thought.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 04-06-10 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-06-10, 04:55 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Just installed the Takeda intake, put about 30 miles on it thus far
Old 04-06-10, 05:00 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Just installed the Takeda intake, put about 30 miles on it thus far
....so what is the verdict?
Old 04-06-10, 06:45 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I was a little skeptical about purchasing the intake at first but I got an incredible deal on it so I couldn't resist. The construction is SUPERB, I didn't notice any flaws in the construction at all. The filter seemed to be of excellent construction as well. It's a dry cone filter, no oils at all. The replacement half box piece was also solid in its construction and fit perfectly into the other stock half of the box.

The bolts, screws and metal clippings were all spotless and matched (sometimes I've gotten screws that don't match and appeared to be just thrown together in the box). Everything was nicely packaged and the filter came in a completely separate box. There were no scratchy weld points or anything of the sort, everything seemed flawless. It took maybe 10 minutes to install (just like the Joe Z, it took no time at all). The box half was flawless as well, no mismatched edges or open gaps, it sealed very well with the other half of the stock box. The clips even matched up perfectly (I was skeptical about whether they were going to be off or not but surprisingly they were perfectly matched).

While I don't have that many miles with the intake on, you can definitely notice a slightly deeper sound from the intake about above 2,000 rpms. Below this, it sounds just like stock. When the secondary intake opens up at 3,600, it's not as noticeable as before although you can still hear it open up. From what I noticed, the power seemed much smoother across the RPM band. With the previous intake, you could definitely feel the car pull hard once the secondary intake opens, with this intake, the power seems to be available all across the power range. Basically the climb from the lower RPM range to the top RPM range appears smoother and the power is available more evenly across the band.

I plan on keeping the intake on for a little while longer, putting a few more miles on it and seeing how much I still like it after about a week or so.
Old 04-06-10, 06:56 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

I was a little skeptical about purchasing the intake at first but I got an incredible deal on it so I couldn't resist. The construction is SUPERB, I didn't notice any flaws in the construction at all. The filter seemed to be of excellent construction as well. It's a dry cone filter, no oils at all. The replacement half box piece was also solid in its construction and fit perfectly into the other stock half of the box.

The bolts, screws and metal clippings were all spotless and matched (sometimes I've gotten screws that don't match and appeared to be just thrown together in the box). Everything was nicely packaged and the filter came in a completely separate box. There were no scratchy weld points or anything of the sort, everything seemed flawless. It took maybe 10 minutes to install (just like the Joe Z, it took no time at all). The box half was flawless as well, no mismatched edges or open gaps, it sealed very well with the other half of the stock box. The clips even matched up perfectly (I was skeptical about whether they were going to be off or not but surprisingly they were perfectly matched).

While I don't have that many miles with the intake on, you can definitely notice a slightly deeper sound from the intake about above 2,000 rpms. Below this, it sounds just like stock. When the secondary intake opens up at 3,600, it's not as noticeable as before although you can still hear it open up. From what I noticed, the power seemed much smoother across the RPM band. With the previous intake, you could definitely feel the car pull hard once the secondary intake opens, with this intake, the power seems to be available all across the power range. Basically the climb from the lower RPM range to the top RPM range appears smoother and the power is available more evenly across the band.

I plan on keeping the intake on for a little while longer, putting a few more miles on it and seeing how much I still like it after about a week or so.
Great write up. did you get it brand new? you mentioned that you got a great deal. Can you PM me pricing and the location? Someone here mentioed that they got theirs for $280.00
Old 04-06-10, 07:11 PM
zenbert
Driver

<deleted>

strike the mesg. looks like figs got both the injen and takeda.

Last edited by zenbert; 04-07-10 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-06-10, 09:28 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

That is a good suggestion Lou, The afe Takeda gets to me tomorrow and a the first dyno has been scheduled. I think the Gtech accellerometer tests should provide some insight as well...like peak G change if any. I mostly want to see if the low end HP is lost without the 2 stage, like when I dynoed the flap mod.

Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-06-10, 09:29 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFC6
Great write up. did you get it brand new? you mentioned that you got a great deal. Can you PM me pricing and the location? Someone here mentioed that they got theirs for $280.00
My lower 48 shipped price will be lower FYI
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-06-10, 10:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFC6
That someone was me

Lou
Old 04-06-10, 11:26 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FIGS
My lower 48 shipped price will be lower FYI
Great. Please let me know when you have the group pricing availalble.
Old 04-06-10, 11:44 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
I have never seen anything like this placed inside an intake tube......

Joe Z
Read Injen's patent on the technology here: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2009/0229556.html
Old 04-07-10, 12:34 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

has anyone eles gotten the injen? if so how you like it?

Quick Reply: IS-F intake shootout. indep dynos for Injen and AFE Takeda