IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 09:23 AM
retropj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m thinking about Raybestos pads and rotors on the front of my 09. I’ve scanned this thread for people who have this set up but haven’t found any feedback, good or bad. Any thoughts?

The rears will still have the factory parts, for now.
Old 05-06-13, 12:22 PM
lilcop17
Driver

so are the OEM rotors better then the centric or stop tech? which should i go with
Old 05-06-13, 12:23 PM
streetx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by retropj
I’m thinking about Raybestos pads and rotors on the front of my 09. I’ve scanned this thread for people who have this set up but haven’t found any feedback, good or bad. Any thoughts?

The rears will still have the factory parts, for now.
i think lob tracks on the raybestos rotors and i dont think he has any problems with them

i too have the raybestos rotors on my car but its only been street driven. i have not had issues with them either.

I also thought i saw some documents that brembo produces the rotors for raybestos or vice versa
Old 05-06-13, 05:02 PM
retropj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by streetx
i think lob tracks on the raybestos rotors and i dont think he has any problems with them

i too have the raybestos rotors on my car but its only been street driven. i have not had issues with them either.

I also thought i saw some documents that brembo produces the rotors for raybestos or vice versa
Thanks. Looking for a replacement with performance as close as possible to the factory set up and with no noise. Less dust would be a bonus. No plan on tracking the car. It's my daily driver.
Old 05-07-13, 12:54 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by retropj
Thanks. Looking for a replacement with performance as close as possible to the factory set up and with no noise. Less dust would be a bonus. No plan on tracking the car. It's my daily driver.
We have been getting very positive reviews from Project Mu NS and NS400. The pads were designed to be quiet and very low dusting while improving performance over the OEM pad compound. Finally, you can have your cake and eat it too

-Matt M.
Old 05-12-13, 09:15 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Can those of you who have put on Duralast pads chime in. I am curious how you like them so far and how they compare to the stock ones. I don't track my car, so I am just looking for feedback on how they perform on the street in daily conditions.

Thanks
Old 05-14-13, 07:32 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone?
Old 06-30-13, 09:18 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascari_2
Can those of you who have put on Duralast pads chime in. I am curious how you like them so far and how they compare to the stock ones. I don't track my car, so I am just looking for feedback on how they perform on the street in daily conditions.

Thanks
I just installed these today. They come with their own shims and all so you won't have to reuse your old ones. These pads are a lot less aggressive than the OEM ones. The initial bite and release is less abrupt and hence they feel a lot smoother, quieter and more civilized in city driving, which is where I drive 90% of the time. I bedded them in by doing several stops from 60 to 10 and then I went for a drive. I didn't feel much of a difference in stopping power and felt confident, but then again I don't track my car. For my style of driving these pads are perfect. I'm not sure how well they will perform on a track or how well they will wear, but so far I'm happy with them specially for the price. My OEM pads still had some meat on them but I mainly switched them because of the dust and noise. Cleaning 2011 wheels every time after I went for a drive was getting old. I hope this won't dust as much but it's way too early to tell.
Old 07-01-13, 09:04 AM
firzen
Driver School Candidate

After this weekends track i got 3mm left on the rear pads and 4mm on the front pads, which is more than enough for street driving, but as i like to be prepared i have to order some backups.

I read about 7-8 pages of this topic and seems like currently StopTech pads are considered excellent. At the same looks like Raybestos is good.

Currently i have stock pads and brakes (and the prices at the dealer are unbelieavably high) and my question is, is it fine to only change the front and back pads to StopTech for example with the stock rotors? Or the change should be pads + rotors? Should the brake lines also be changed?

Be gentle please, yesterday was only my third track day, still getting to know the parts on this car and what to change them for
Old 07-01-13, 11:32 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can change pads only you just need to bed them in.
Old 07-01-13, 11:33 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

IMHO, this thread was meant to be a resource for members to consult when looking for:

Brakes Products that will fit and work with the ISF and the prices associated with those parts.

Fitment information and Specifications for brakes products.

Recommendations for products to fit differing driving styles.

Requests for products not yet manufactured.

Those vendors, both sponsors and non sponsors that support those referenced parts.

Recently this thread seems to have gone off course, IMHO, with members asking questions that I believe should have been raised in standalone threads. I may be all wet here, but again, IMHO, this thread is now becoming messy and has strayed from it's intended purpose.

Lou
Old 07-01-13, 01:29 PM
firzen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
IMHO, this thread was meant to be a resource for members to consult when looking for:

Brakes Products that will fit and work with the ISF and the prices associated with those parts.

Fitment information and Specifications for brakes products.

Recommendations for products to fit differing driving styles.

Requests for products not yet manufactured.

Those vendors, both sponsors and non sponsors that support those referenced parts.

Recently this thread seems to have gone off course, IMHO, with members asking questions that I believe should have been raised in standalone threads. I may be all wet here, but again, IMHO, this thread is now becoming messy and has strayed from it's intended purpose.

Lou
Would you be so kind then and recommend a brake product which would fit a heavy foot street driving style with the occasional (once every two months or so) track drive? Specifially pads and if possible where to order them with shipping to Europe?

Thanks!
Old 07-01-13, 09:55 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by firzen
Would you be so kind then and recommend a brake product which would fit a heavy foot street driving style with the occasional (once every two months or so) track drive? Specifially pads and if possible where to order them with shipping to Europe?

Thanks!
Sounds like you are requesting a dual purpose pad that can handle some higher heat ranges without a major drop in mu or introduction of fade. Can you advise what track you would be driving on and what the standard duration of a session (or amount of time you would be driving per outing on the track). Also note your experience and what tires you would be using (street tires, r comps, semi slicks, slicks.. etc.).

Thank you for the question!
Old 07-02-13, 03:00 AM
firzen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Speed-Freaks.net
Sounds like you are requesting a dual purpose pad that can handle some higher heat ranges without a major drop in mu or introduction of fade. Can you advise what track you would be driving on and what the standard duration of a session (or amount of time you would be driving per outing on the track). Also note your experience and what tires you would be using (street tires, r comps, semi slicks, slicks.. etc.).

Thank you for the question!
This is the main track in our region: http://www.auto24ring.ee/cms-data/up...urring-uus.png

It's about 1.30 track and running 7-8 laps at once including cooling and heating, last time with stock pads i let it cool for about 45mins after every run. Using street tires.

Experience is not that big, only been on the track three times in total.

Since we only have 3-4 months of good weather here (maybe 5) then the track part is not crucial. I can handle driving with normal pads on the track as 99% of the driving time is done on the street but with a heavy foot of course.

The stock pads were totally fine but now that i have to change them again the dealer quoted me €700 for front and rear pads (about $1000) and that's just ridiculous when i'm looking that StopTech pads go for $89 a set. Same goes for rotors.
Old 07-03-13, 12:43 PM
firzen
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the double post but anyone got auggestions based on my previous posts?

Quick Reply: Complete IS-F Brake Thread (Under-construction)