IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

rho-plate for IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-10, 01:01 PM
elm3c
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rho-plate for IS-F

Has anyone used a Rho-plate on the IS-F? It's a tow hook mounted front license plate frame. http://www.rhoplate.com/

I contacted the Rho-plate manufacturer, and they said that the tow hook mounting shaft for the IS-F is about double the length of most other vehicle applications. So, they are concerned that the entire assembly might loosen due to extra road vibration. They don't recommend it, but can make it by special order.

I'd hate to drill into the front bumper for the standard license plate frame. But I want to have a front plate due to Fastrak and to reduce the risk of being pulled over.

Comments from anyone who might have installed one on an IS-F? I'm considering trying it anyway, and using some loctite on the bolts. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 02-22-10, 01:03 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Considered it, never pulled the trigger. If you order, lets us know how it goes!
Andy
Old 02-22-10, 01:07 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

first off, congrats on the new F! what color did you end up choosing?

i also researched rho before ultimately choosing the hideaway plate and using a strong glue to bond it to the underside of the front bumper. i dont like to drill holes on the front of any car. in fact, i always ask that the dealer bring my cars without the front plate holder on, giving me the option to put it on or not. the hideaway works pretty well IMO, but the only problem is that i lowered my F, and the vehicle clearance isnt from the front bumper, but rather the extra 1/4 inch underneath the car due to the housing unit of the license plate. a little scraping, but i live with it. more importantly, it doesnt scrape any part of the bumper, which i like most.
Old 02-22-10, 01:18 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bnizzle87

i also researched rho before ultimately choosing the hideaway plate and using a strong glue to bond it to the underside of the front bumper. i dont like to drill holes on the front of any car. in fact, i always ask that the dealer bring my cars without the front plate holder on, giving me the option to put it on or not. the hideaway works pretty well IMO, but the only problem is that i lowered my F, and the vehicle clearance isnt from the front bumper, but rather the extra 1/4 inch underneath the car due to the housing unit of the license plate. a little scraping, but i live with it. more importantly, it doesnt scrape any part of the bumper, which i like most.
Have any pics?
Old 02-22-10, 01:19 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont use a front plate!
Old 02-22-10, 01:27 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure seems like the best option I've seen if you have to run a front plate. Thanks for the link.
Old 02-22-10, 01:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't put front plate on anymore on my cars

but if you want, here's what i used to do
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tml#post515465

total cost like 2-3 bucks...

mount it at the top of the lower air damp (upper side) so when you loosen it it's still completely invisible on the holes
Old 02-22-10, 04:05 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Let me know if this is silly......

....but has anyone considered using industrial strength and waterproof "velcro" style mounting tape for the plate?
Old 02-22-10, 04:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I moved to a state without a front plate requirement. Problem permanently solved. No missing CA's crap for me.
Old 02-22-10, 05:07 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i contacted them as well...
i was almost going to chop the stock one up to do this as well...
i already have a bracket to use with the mounting "rod" but i can't seem to get the nerve to chop the stock one up

the vibration thing shouldn't be too bad if you use a large locking washer with it
i've also looked into a long bracket that mount to the brace but that's too had to install unless the bumper is completely off the car...
Old 02-22-10, 05:19 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

considered to purchase them but it wasnt avail at the time of my need..
i used L-Bracket to the lower grill to get my ticket cleared..
it kinda looks ugly.. but u can try that also.. total cost is about $4.00 at homedepot or lowes or any hardwear store..
Old 02-22-10, 08:37 PM
elm3c
Rookie

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
Thanks - I picked up my Starfire Pearl about a week and half ago. Loving it so far, except for the ML stereo. Thinking about adding a sub. Saw this custom fiberglass enclosure that is coming out from Audio Integrations. http://www.audiointegrations.net/preorder.html

So far, added clear bra and tint. Went to Premier last Friday and they did an outstanding job. The whole crew there is so awesome - just great people who have a passion for what they do. It's the fourth vehicle they've done for me! My first time with tint though; I went with their new Diamond Cut IR.

Thanks everyone for the front plate comments. I was hoping that someone had already gotten the Rho-plate and had no problems to report. But I'll probably get the Rho-plate and I'll post my experience with it. It may be a while though, since I probably won't even get my plates for another month or two!

Cheers!
Old 02-22-10, 08:51 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by elm3c
But I'll probably get the Rho-plate and I'll post my experience with it. It may be a while though, since I probably won't even get my plates for another month or two!

Cheers!
you're gunna buy the IS250/350 one that's too short???
Old 02-22-10, 09:19 PM
elm3c
Rookie

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
you're gunna buy the IS250/350 one that's too short???
Sorry, Rho-plate said that they could custom make one for the IS-F, with the longer shaft. As they don't necessarily recommend the application, they don't stock it.
Old 02-22-10, 10:56 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I moved to a state without a front plate requirement. Problem permanently solved. No missing CA's crap for me.
lol come on, not realistic for a lot of guys.

i don't get why i see so many threads on this. does this really prevent people from getting laid/promoted/denied VIP access to clubs or something? either put on the plates or pay the tickets as they come! or move as per lobuxracer.

Quick Reply: rho-plate for IS-F