IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Questions about the Joe Z PTS exhaust and Joe Z intake tube...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 01:13 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about the Joe Z PTS exhaust and Joe Z intake tube...

Hello to all, I would like to introduce myself as a new member. After owning two Corvettes (07 and 08), I am now the onwer of a new ISF. I have lurked on this Forum for a while, but just now registered. I have searched for a while and have done some research on the Joe Z products, and before making my decision, have a few questions.

1) Has anyone experienced any exhaust leaks with the system, or any potential issues with fit?

2) Does the system drone at highway speeds (70 - 80 MPH) in 7th or 8th gear? Mind you that I was used to some droning with my Corvettes, since I had long tube headers with a full exhaust, but do not want the drone in the ISF.

3) Any issues with the check engine light? I know that there is no tuning software for the ISF, but how does the check engine light not come on when two of th CATS are removed?

4) Who carries and sells the Joe Z products?

5) Regarding the Joe Z intake tube, are you all keeping the stock air filter or replacing them? Does K&N make a replacement filter? I have read about the "Toms" filter, but have never heard about this manufacturer?

Any input and answers to my questions would be ver much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-12-10, 06:39 AM
SERGIO ISF
Driver School Candidate

you can contact Clark at VIP Auto Salon
he will help you out!
Good luck and congratulations with your new beast!

Sergio ISF
Old 02-12-10, 07:53 AM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFC6
Hello to all, I would like to introduce myself as a new member. After owning two Corvettes (07 and 08), I am now the onwer of a new ISF. I have lurked on this Forum for a while, but just now registered. I have searched for a while and have done some research on the Joe Z products, and before making my decision, have a few questions.

1) Has anyone experienced any exhaust leaks with the system, or any potential issues with fit?

2) Does the system drone at highway speeds (70 - 80 MPH) in 7th or 8th gear? Mind you that I was used to some droning with my Corvettes, since I had long tube headers with a full exhaust, but do not want the drone in the ISF.

3) Any issues with the check engine light? I know that there is no tuning software for the ISF, but how does the check engine light not come on when two of th CATS are removed?

4) Who carries and sells the Joe Z products?

5) Regarding the Joe Z intake tube, are you all keeping the stock air filter or replacing them? Does K&N make a replacement filter? I have read about the "Toms" filter, but have never heard about this manufacturer?

Any input and answers to my questions would be ver much appreciated. Thank you.

First of all congrats on your new IS-F, lots of posts about this already lol, but Ill give you my input on Joe Z Exhaust/Intake

1. There hasn't been any problems with the exhaust other than one of the pipes was rubbing against a bracket underneath the car, but I shaved that piece off, because there was a rattle whenever a right turn was made. I believe that if you buy a new one they already fixed the problem.

2. you won't get any "drone" going 70-80mph

3. There are no check engine light that comes on, if everything is installed right.

4. Like the guy said above. Clark at VIP sells them, I believe www.l-tunedparts.com sells them as well

5. you can keep the original air filter, but many people switched to either K&N or Tom's filter. I personally have the tom's filter.

if your interested on a used Joe Z exhaust and Intake PM me.

Hope this helps
Old 02-12-10, 08:05 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your F! What color/options were you able to go with? Did you get the 2010 or a leftover 2009 model?

With regards to your questions:
1) As far as I know, there hasn't been any major issues with fitment or leaking with the Joe Z setup. I had a little issue with rubbing when my exhaust first arrived (mine was one of the first production models to be shipped) but that was easily fixed by cutting a single tip a little shorter, not a big deal by any means.

2) There is no drone at all with the Joe Z, that's one of the beautiful things about the exhaust

3) There are no CEL or dash lighting by any means. Replacing the exhaust shouldn't throw codes on the F unless you have some type of leak or issue. I'll have Joe Z or someone else explain the answer to this question regarding the cats as I'm sure they can explain it better then I can.

4) Clark at VIP is the guy to go to

5) K&N does make a replacement filter but I would search and do research on this before purchasing. TOMs is a very reputable aftermarket parts manufacturer for Lexus based out of Japan. TOMs products are typically a little bit more expensive due to exchange rates and shipping but the quality is second to none. Like JC said above, you can keep the stock filter but many have changed filters when changing intake tubes. I also personally have the TOMs filter after trying a few others and wouldn't go back at all.

Hope this helps, let us know if you have any other questions
Old 02-12-10, 09:14 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new car!

Another option for a drop in filter for the IS F is AFE. They offer both a oiled and non oiled filter for our cars.

http://afepower.com/shop/application...IS-F&x=64&y=20
Old 02-12-10, 10:33 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I've had a K&N Drop-in and the JoeZ intake on my F for over a year now with no issues.

Lou
Old 02-12-10, 11:39 AM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Thank you all for your replies and warm welcome, as it is much appreciated. I purchased a new 09 Matador Red Mica. Where are you all purchasing the Tom's filter from? Besides VIP Auto Salon, I also noticed that Carson sells the Joe Z products as well.
Old 02-12-10, 12:43 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

It wont throw CEL's because the 2nd cats are behind the sensors so the car has no way of knowing they are gone.

I bought an AFE pro dry S filter as I didn't want an oiled one its 58 bucks on autoanything and it fits perfectly:

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...A4151A0A0.aspx
Old 02-12-10, 12:48 PM
ISFC6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by infinus
It wont throw CEL's because the 2nd cats are behind the sensors so the car has no way of knowing they are gone.

I bought an AFE pro dry S filter as I didn't want an oiled one its 58 bucks on autoanything and it fits perfectly:

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filt...A4151A0A0.aspx
Thank you. So the PCM will automatically adjust (fuel trims, air fuel raitio, timing) for the additional air flow of the exhaust? I remember that for my C6's even a CAI would sometimes trigger the check engine light, so the car had to be tuneed for the addtitional air flow.
Old 02-12-10, 02:23 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Thank you. So the PCM will automatically adjust (fuel trims, air fuel raitio, timing) for the additional air flow of the exhaust? I remember that for my C6's even a CAI would sometimes trigger the check engine light, so the car had to be tuneed for the addtitional air flow.
Yep... I've been running mine for awhile now and no CEL...

There are ppl here that have had it on their cars for over 15K miles...

JoeZ makes great quality products! The welds on the exhaust are just gorgeous!!! =)
Old 02-12-10, 06:17 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

welcome to CL! i havent experienced any drone or problems in general with my Joe Z intake/exhaust combo. both are great additions to the F, and considering it was practically great stock, anything extra had to be really over the top and thus truly making the car that much more thrilling to experience. the TOMS filter can be bought through Clark. very personable guy to deal with! great business every single time!
Old 02-12-10, 07:06 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

here is my contribution.

i have the joe z intake and plan to get the joe z exhaust in the future. i just bought the tom's filter from clark here is the picture of the filter. i just got it in the mail today. im sure everybody answered ur questions already as for the drone i dont think there is one for the joe z exhaust if it is then u will hardly notice it. check the youtube videos, it sounds better in person btw.

Last edited by Evil Teo; 02-12-10 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-12-10, 07:26 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Evil Teo
here is my contribution.

i have the joe z intake and plan to get the joe z exhaust in the future. i just bought the tom's filter from clark here is the picture of the filter. i just got it in the mail today. im sure everybody answered ur questions already as for the drone i dont think there is one for the joe z exhaust if it is then u will hardly notice it. check the youtube videos, it sounds better in person btw.

Hey Teo,,, we should meet up one day at either Englishtown or Atco and run our car to see which ones better,,, K&N or Joe z intake.... hahaha
Old 02-12-10, 08:08 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

lol that is a good idea but i think it doesn't matter.
Old 02-12-10, 11:05 PM
Olskool53
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all for your replies and warm welcome, as it is much appreciated. I purchased a new 09 Matador Red Mica. Where are you all purchasing the Tom's filter from? Besides VIP Auto Salon, I also noticed that Carson sells the Joe Z products as well.
Welcome....Congrats on your new purchase, that is one nice looking sedan.....Especially that Matador Red Mica when it's detailed right! it looks wet and the color just pops like a "Candy Apple!" Hope you enjoy your new "F" treat her with the utmost care.

Polished, jeweled and sealed for that wet "Candy" look

Completey swirl and scratch free this paint just pops!

Last edited by Olskool53; 02-17-10 at 02:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions about the Joe Z PTS exhaust and Joe Z intake tube...