IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

IsF Strut Bar by Gt Spec???

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-10, 03:48 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IsF Strut Bar by Gt Spec???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT-SP...item5885bf813c He has this listed to fit the IsF,,, what do you guys think?
Old 02-01-10, 04:38 AM
slowIST
Driver

I was actually going back and forth with a guy from GT Spec through e-mail. They have a lot of chassis braces and bars (including a front strut tower bar) available for the IS-F. He actually sent pictures of these pieces installed.
Old 02-01-10, 06:48 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Two things I can see about this strut brace that I don't like, this is if it does actually work on the IS-F:
1. There are pivot points which take away the effectiveness for the brace.
2. You have to remove the engine cover to make it fit properly.

The only strut brace that actually looks decent is the Tom's...I'm just not ready to drop $400 on it. I'm hoping someone out there decides to make a solid strut brace that's more affordable...Darshana S...
Old 02-01-10, 07:21 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Two things I can see about this strut brace that I don't like, this is if it does actually work on the IS-F:
1. There are pivot points which take away the effectiveness for the brace.
2. You have to remove the engine cover to make it fit properly.

The only strut brace that actually looks decent is the Tom's...I'm just not ready to drop $400 on it. I'm hoping someone out there decides to make a solid strut brace that's more affordable...Darshana S...
im with u. also i was told by someone that if u have stiff coilovers its kinda pointless? is that true?
Old 02-01-10, 11:39 AM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
im with u. also i was told by someone that if u have stiff coilovers its kinda pointless? is that true?
Not true. A well designed strut tower brace will aid chassis rigidity and help to eliminate flex. This can help the car respond better to driving input. A strut bar is going to make a marginal difference in handling on a IS F.

Coilovers stiff or otherwise affect ride quality, body roll and handling but the effect they have on a car's chassis is not the same as a strut bar.

FWIW Carbing makes strut bars that are like the ones Supraman16 is speaking about without pivot points and they range in price from $250 - $400 depending on the application so $400 for the Tom's bar is not that far off. Having said that I wouldn't rush out and go to buy a strut bar over a set of springs, a sway bar or coilovers if my goal was improved handling.
Old 02-01-10, 12:34 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
Actually with stiff coilovers it is often more imperative to have chassis stiffening devices as the coilovers will transmit more flex inducing energy into the body of the car.
Old 02-01-10, 06:48 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the full upper and lower set on my F pretty sick honestly.....you have to remove side engine covers...and cannot remove engine cover once on over it..it looks mean and is definately a need bc you will tweak chassis over time from stiff suspension and ofcoarse lowering...once I get back this weekend WILL get picks
Old 02-01-10, 09:35 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by StealthFF
I have the full upper and lower set on my F pretty sick honestly.....you have to remove side engine covers...and cannot remove engine cover once on over it..it looks mean and is definately a need bc you will tweak chassis over time from stiff suspension and ofcoarse lowering...once I get back this weekend WILL get picks
if you dont mind, how much you paid for it and where you get it from?
Old 02-02-10, 06:53 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Your going to hate me but....once I picked up car from dealership with 17K used had it all already .....not sure of all cost but when get back home Ill get the car out and take pics..onsite right now missing car lol
Old 02-02-10, 06:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthFF
...it looks mean and is definately a need bc you will tweak chassis over time from stiff suspension and ofcoarse lowering...
Riiight. Keep telling yourself this, it will make you feel better. It won't affect the chassis noticeably with any street legal tire.
Old 02-02-10, 07:18 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Yes it will fit the F, here it is listed on GTSPEC's site:

http://www.gtspec.com/product/gtspec...is250is350is-f

pic of it installed:
Old 02-03-10, 01:51 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just added weight IMO, no normal IS-F owner needs this piece unless you want bling. Plus it looks funny with the engine cover right under it like that and restricts removal. I would only do this if if I had a black CF engine cover....
Old 02-03-10, 08:02 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
It won't affect the chassis noticeably with any street legal tire.
+1 and this makes ten
Old 02-03-10, 01:17 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

as s4play said, it would look a lot better with a black engine cover. it would definitely be a hassle to remove the strut bar just to remove the engine cover if someone needed to. it goes well with the intake in the pic though.
Old 02-03-10, 03:14 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by infinus
Yes it will fit the F, here it is listed on GTSPEC's site:

http://www.gtspec.com/product/gtspec...is250is350is-f

pic of it installed:
DUDE!!!!!! thats my car exactly!!!! lol who ever had it was the owner before me how crazy any details on previouis owner if my car was ragged hahaha funnny runs good so far

Quick Reply: IsF Strut Bar by Gt Spec???