IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Project Mu Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 02:27 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

wow, lol just realized no one replied to my question so I'll answer myself.

The pads are making good contact now. It's been over a year and 8 months now and these pads are still holding strong with a lot of meat left.
Old 05-12-15, 10:49 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Defratos
wow, lol just realized no one replied to my question so I'll answer myself.

The pads are making good contact now. It's been over a year and 8 months now and these pads are still holding strong with a lot of meat left.
Don't know how that was missed for so long! Anyways yes that is completely normal when you instal new pads (perfectly flat face) to a used rotor (usually not perfectly flat face). It takes a little bit of driving for the pads to wear down into the grooves of the rotors and perfectly match the profile.

-Matt M.
Old 08-31-15, 05:42 AM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I got the Type NS pads straight from Japan, which ended up being cheaper than buying from one of the CL vendors thanks to the weak CAD, but that's another story.

So far the pads have not adjusted to the rotor's existing and somewhat odd wavy wear pattern - hoping this ugly inner ring will go away soon. It's present on both fronts, but the rears look good on the other hand. A full bed-in has been performed after the install.

Old 08-31-15, 09:41 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

The very inside of the rotor typically wears the most, meaning thats the lowest spot on the friction surface. After some more use the pad should fully wear into all the grooves and make contact with 100% of the rotor face.

-Matt M.
Old 09-01-15, 12:29 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

From what I remember when I had these pads installed I had a similar pattern the first few times I drove with them. I do believe they go away after more use.
Old 09-01-15, 06:26 AM
MR2QIK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed new NS400 pads & Project Mu rotors. Did anyone use any grease of any form for noise reduction?

Reason I ask, is that I didn't. Mine were quite loud during the initial bed in, & over the last 250km (first 250km since I put the pads in) they've quietened down a lot, but are still a bit noisy at times. Is this normal? Will it go away completely after more kms/miles?

Other than that, I'm VERY happy with them. Not as bitey as the OEM pads, but still feel good. The reduction in brake dust is fantastic!
Old 09-01-15, 09:37 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by MR2QIK
I just installed new NS400 pads & Project Mu rotors. Did anyone use any grease of any form for noise reduction?

Reason I ask, is that I didn't. Mine were quite loud during the initial bed in, & over the last 250km (first 250km since I put the pads in) they've quietened down a lot, but are still a bit noisy at times. Is this normal? Will it go away completely after more kms/miles?

Other than that, I'm VERY happy with them. Not as bitey as the OEM pads, but still feel good. The reduction in brake dust is fantastic!
I greased between pads & shims when I installed my NS400 pads on the original OEM rotors. I used Permatex copper based anti-seize lube. For a few weeks, I was getting some initial squeal when first hitting the pedal during mid to high speed stops, but it would go away as more braking force was applied. It rarely happens now. Low speed noise has been pretty much non-existent from day 1.

-Mike
Old 09-01-15, 10:16 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

The pads should not be producing any noise after a proper bed in procedure. Do you mind briefly explaining how you bedded them in? If for whatever reason you can't get the noise to disappear with bedding alone then mikersoft's suggestion should also be helpful eliminating the noise.

-Matt M.
Old 09-01-15, 01:47 PM
M4rk
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
The very inside of the rotor typically wears the most, meaning thats the lowest spot on the friction surface. After some more use the pad should fully wear into all the grooves and make contact with 100% of the rotor face.

-Matt M.
Thank you, Matt!
Old 09-02-15, 01:10 AM
Piciu
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys, was anybody using Project Mu HC+ pads on IS-F?
They are supposed to be kind of dual-purpose pad. I had them once on the rear of my e90 330i, but I'm really curious how they would work with heavy IS-F on the front with OEM rotors.
Old 09-02-15, 06:39 PM
MR2QIK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
The pads should not be producing any noise after a proper bed in procedure. Do you mind briefly explaining how you bedded them in? If for whatever reason you can't get the noise to disappear with bedding alone then mikersoft's suggestion should also be helpful eliminating the noise.

-Matt M.
I basically followed the below. The rotors don't appear to be wearing in any unorthodox way. As mentioned, the sound is decreasing, just hopeful it mostly goes away.

Step 1: Make 10 stops from 30 mph down to about 10 mph using moderate braking pressure and allowing approximately 30 seconds between stops for cooling. Do not drag your pads during these stops.

Step 2: Make 5 consecutive stops from 50 mph down to 10 mph . After the 5th stop, allow your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes. This completes the break-in of your pads to the rotor surface.
During Steps 1 & 2, a de-gassing process occurs which may produce an odor coming from your pads as they complete the break-in cycle. This odor is normal and is part of the process your pads must go through to achieve their ultimate level of performance. The odor will go away after allowing your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes.
Old 09-02-15, 07:19 PM
revolut1on
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I posted earlier in the thread a while back when I first put my Project Mu's in. Mine squealed like a pig in heat at first and it would not stop even after applying anti squeal 2 times. Eventually it just went away after about 4K km's of driving. I can only hear them squeal at low speed once of twice a week if that sometimes.
Old 09-03-15, 01:37 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Piciu
Guys, was anybody using Project Mu HC+ pads on IS-F?
They are supposed to be kind of dual-purpose pad. I had them once on the rear of my e90 330i, but I'm really curious how they would work with heavy IS-F on the front with OEM rotors.
I haven't seen of anyone with an IS-F using them but we I know the compound is very popular with many of the other chassis we support.

Most of the IS-F guys are after a low dusting, silent street pad. The guys that track pretty heavily swap in full track pads but I am staring to notice more guys who are willing to compromise on the dust levels for greater performance in aggressive street use and possibly even some occasional track use. We love the Endless MX72 for this type of use but the Project Mu HC+ is a lower cost alternative to the MX72. We don't normally stock the HC+ for in the IS-F pad shapes but if there is enough interest we can look into placing a large order and doing a group buy.

-Matt M.
Old 09-03-15, 01:48 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by M4rk
Thank you, Matt!

Originally Posted by MR2QIK
I basically followed the below. The rotors don't appear to be wearing in any unorthodox way. As mentioned, the sound is decreasing, just hopeful it mostly goes away.

Step 1: Make 10 stops from 30 mph down to about 10 mph using moderate braking pressure and allowing approximately 30 seconds between stops for cooling. Do not drag your pads during these stops.

Step 2: Make 5 consecutive stops from 50 mph down to 10 mph . After the 5th stop, allow your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes. This completes the break-in of your pads to the rotor surface.
During Steps 1 & 2, a de-gassing process occurs which may produce an odor coming from your pads as they complete the break-in cycle. This odor is normal and is part of the process your pads must go through to achieve their ultimate level of performance. The odor will go away after allowing your braking system to cool for approximately 30 minutes.
That may not be enough on the IS-F since the brakes have such a large thermal capacity. I usually like to see less time in between brake pulls to build heat into them a little quicker (~10-15 seconds instead of 30). You may also need to up the speed on your first set of slows and/or increase the number slows in your second set. These pads should be absolutely silent when bedded in. If you did the bedding procedure and they are still making noise then it is likely that they did not get hot enough.

Originally Posted by revolut1on
I think I posted earlier in the thread a while back when I first put my Project Mu's in. Mine squealed like a pig in heat at first and it would not stop even after applying anti squeal 2 times. Eventually it just went away after about 4K km's of driving. I can only hear them squeal at low speed once of twice a week if that sometimes.
Again, this is likely a bedding issue where the pads did not get hot enough. These pads should not be making any noise even without shims and anti-squeel paste.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 09-03-15 at 01:51 PM.