IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Project Mu Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-13, 04:02 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The OEM discs are what they are. They are not inexpensive if you track your car.

Track weekend 1

Track weekend 2

Track weekend 3

At this point, the discs were retired. Lexus says any continuous crack over 30mm is beyond acceptable limits, and there are plenty of 30mm cracks. BTW, a 5/32" drill cleans the holes nicely when they are full of pad material. This phenomenon also makes me skeptical the holes add anything to airflow since they clog with dust.

Click here for OEM specs.
Old 06-25-13, 04:26 PM
t1h9o8m6s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are my Centric rotors after 1 track day (four 25min sessions). They were paired with Project Mu Club Racer pads and were installed brand new before the track event. There are already cracks forming on the holes.

Old 06-25-13, 09:39 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Will check mine tomorrow just to see if mine are cracked.... but, I don't track the car, but, I do beat the crap of the brakes
Old 06-26-13, 02:46 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Right guys so I'm planning on ordering a set of pads.

Just so I have the correct pads for the ISF:

Front = NS400 street pads
Rear = NS PSR106

Correct?

Last edited by Defratos; 06-26-13 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-26-13, 07:16 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^From the Speed-Freaks site it looks like the rears are:

NS400 PS4R106 or

NS PSR106

The NS400 PS4R106 are slightly cheaper than the NS PSR106 and it looks like they would be a better match for your front NS400

Look Here:

http://speed-freaks.net/search.html?q=isf+project+mu

Don't forget the Club Lexus Discount code.

Lou
Old 06-26-13, 09:18 AM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks lowrideraz
Old 06-26-13, 01:14 PM
Defratos
Racer

Wait what's the club lexus discount code?
Old 06-26-13, 02:53 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^The Club Lexus Discount Code with Speed-Freaks is CL10

Lou
Old 06-26-13, 09:14 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^From the Speed-Freaks site it looks like the rears are:

NS400 PS4R106 or

NS PSR106

The NS400 PS4R106 are slightly cheaper than the NS PSR106 and it looks like they would be a better match for your front NS400

Look Here:

http://speed-freaks.net/search.html?q=isf+project+mu

Don't forget the Club Lexus Discount code.

Lou
Lou,

Good catch, and thank you for helping out the gentleman.

There really is no reason to get the Type NS when the NS400 is in stock, the pricing is lower and the compound is the same.

To confirm:

The front part number is: PS4F160 and you can find it here:
Project Mu NS400 PS4F160 D1365 Lexus IS-F Front

The rear part number is: PS4R106 and you can find it here:
Project Mu NS400 PS4R106 Lexus ISF IS-F Rear

Should you choose to browse the rotor and pad combos, you can browse to get a better idea here: http://speed-freaks.net/c-642080-fea...exus-is-f.html

There has been some interest in carrying the Raybestos units in addition to the StopTech and Project Mu rotors, but stronger interest in simple GiroDisc units for the IS-F that are slotted (not cross drilled).

What do you guys prefer for us to help with? We can leverage our Raybestos Racing Contacts to provide pricing for the OEM replacements. We are open to suggestions here... I'll include a couple pics of some Ferrari Scuderia Rotors we shipped to 2 European customers last week so you can see some sort of representation for the GiroDisc Rotors.

We had the pads machined to match the rotor swept area and clear the hub (standard 1405 units would have interfered).

Old 06-26-13, 09:15 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
^^^^The Club Lexus Discount Code with Speed-Freaks is CL10

Lou
This is to be used at checkout and works for any brake pad related to the IS-F platform!

Old 06-26-13, 09:27 PM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The OEM discs are what they are. They are not inexpensive if you track your car.

Track weekend 1

Track weekend 2

Track weekend 3

At this point, the discs were retired. Lexus says any continuous crack over 30mm is beyond acceptable limits, and there are plenty of 30mm cracks. BTW, a 5/32" drill cleans the holes nicely when they are full of pad material. This phenomenon also makes me skeptical the holes add anything to airflow since they clog with dust.

Click here for OEM specs.
Yes! Thank you so much for taking these pictures, we rarely get the opportunity to see this! You rock!

In applications with our guys on similar weighted vehicles (RS4), we don't see anything short of ~7-9 track days before getting concerned about replacing the GiroDisc rings (that includes heavy handed canyon driving, I would say no less than 30-35 runs) on a set of Carbotech RP2s (same pads front and rear). Do note that the tires being used are still Max Performance Street Tires on and off the track. I'll see if I can get some pics of the near retired set and get exact mileage we have gotten out of the last set with an aggressive driving customer for comparison.
Originally Posted by t1h9o8m6s
These are my Centric rotors after 1 track day (four 25min sessions). They were paired with Project Mu Club Racer pads and were installed brand new before the track event. There are already cracks forming on the holes.

Unfortunately this is right on with expectations. Would be excellent to see how the propagation continues, great picture.
Old 09-18-13, 03:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Finally had the time to get the pad slap done in the front last month.....

So far soo good...!!! And glad to know the pads are now made correctly for our IS-F's

Brakes feel great and still dust less than OEM... Fitment is OEM perfect as well.

~ Joe Z

Originally Posted by Speed-Freaks.net

Thank you guys!

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Another for Matt & Anish over at @ www.Speed-Freaks.net

I ordered up my 2nd set of Front Project Mu pads... but this time I went with the NS400 which is IS-F fitment specific..

** IS-F Brake Rotors + Pads Package Special **

They shipped out same day I ordered and the customer service experience was fantastic.

Still haven't had the time to install them, but it has to happen soon since my PMU Type NS pads are just about done.

The Type NS were installed on Jan. 2, 2011 - photos are in this thread. The Fronts lasted over 45K miles.

And they made a world of difference on how they did NOT destroy the new oem rotors I installed on the same day..
They are indeed very forgiving..!!

Below you can see the new pad design w/ Full pucks..

I expect these Type NS400 street pads to have the same fitment & performance as the Type NS pads.. Will know soon..

Regards,

~ Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails Project Mu Pads-image.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-18-13 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-19-13, 02:34 AM
yemgi
Pole Position

Do you use them with OEM rotors Joe? I will need to replace both discs and pads soon , I still have a set of type NS pads but I don't know which discs to use, the cheaper option hear are the Brembo cross drilled ones. I installed the Project Mu rotors on my old IS-F before I sell it so I have not had a chance to test them
Old 09-19-13, 07:42 PM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed-Freaks.net
Lou,

Good catch, and thank you for helping out the gentleman.

There really is no reason to get the Type NS when the NS400 is in stock, the pricing is lower and the compound is the same.

To confirm:

The front part number is: PS4F160 and you can find it here:
Project Mu NS400 PS4F160 D1365 Lexus IS-F Front

The rear part number is: PS4R106 and you can find it here:
Project Mu NS400 PS4R106 Lexus ISF IS-F Rear

Should you choose to browse the rotor and pad combos, you can browse to get a better idea here: http://speed-freaks.net/c-642080-fea...exus-is-f.html

There has been some interest in carrying the Raybestos units in addition to the StopTech and Project Mu rotors, but stronger interest in simple GiroDisc units for the IS-F that are slotted (not cross drilled).

What do you guys prefer for us to help with? We can leverage our Raybestos Racing Contacts to provide pricing for the OEM replacements. We are open to suggestions here... I'll include a couple pics of some Ferrari Scuderia Rotors we shipped to 2 European customers last week so you can see some sort of representation for the GiroDisc Rotors.

We had the pads machined to match the rotor swept area and clear the hub (standard 1405 units would have interfered).

How much those 2-pcs rotors?
Old 09-26-13, 11:18 AM
Defratos
Racer

Guys, I installed my Project Mu pads earlier this week.

So far I'm loving them, no noise, great performance and less brake dust, but I have noticed the outter and inner edges of the rotor's are not making contact with the pads, is this normal?

Quick Reply: Project Mu Pads