K&N Air Filter - loss of power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 02:26 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter - loss of power?

Hello,

Just installed the intake tube + filter from K&N for the ISF. It feels as if the overall power is less. From 1000rpms - 6000rpms, the intake noise has increased, but it just doesn't feel as quick as the stock intake box.

I did triple check the connections and everything is installed correctly with no air leaks.

Anyone else notice this? Thanks for anyone's input.
Old 01-21-10, 02:54 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not your installation. As discussed before, the K&N is good for sound and not much else because of the heat soak on the open cone filter. So depending on the weather it's definitely possible that you are losing power. Try doing a search and you'll see a variety of opinions on this topic.
Old 01-21-10, 03:19 PM
someboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In magazine k&n intake claim to add 30hp to the 2is pretty bull
Old 01-21-10, 05:32 PM
cbryce
Driver School Candidate

you should switch to Injen.
Old 01-21-10, 05:48 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

JoeZ Intake Pipe + Toms Filter. FTW!
Old 01-21-10, 05:55 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by verals05
JoeZ Intake Pipe + Toms Filter. FTW!
+1 on that (even better with JoeZ exhaust)

C.
Old 01-21-10, 05:59 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you reset the ECU?
Old 01-21-10, 06:47 PM
K3RRYB
Lead Lap

I honestly did not feel any loss of power through the powerband. Usually on smaller engines open element intakes tend to cause a minimal loss of low end torque, however, make it up in higher rpms. Our engine is a massive 5 liter that fiends for more and more air; a higher free flowing intake should not decrease power. I felt that it affected throttle response in normal mode at low rpms and that might be what you are feeling. Once it sport mode this car is a new beast, especially with this roaring intake. I do not doubt that a lot of R&D hours went into our stock air box, however, Lexus' goal was to engineer something that not only flows adequately but sounds quiet and comfortable.
After I installed the K&N I definately felt a difference in manual mode. The rpms shot much quicker especially when I rev matched and it seems that throttle response drastically increased at higher revs.
Old 01-21-10, 08:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm going to guess like with any intake system especially open element is that the MAF is reading excessive air so to compensate, it's dumping more fuel leading to a rich condition.
Old 01-21-10, 08:15 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFer
+1 on that (even better with JoeZ exhaust)

C.
i agree. everyone here has been praising the exhaust/intake combo from Joe Z. i was scheduled to have my exhaust installed this week, but the rain has pushed it back to next. clark from vip gave me a test run in his F...what a sick sound!
Old 01-21-10, 08:24 PM
crazee201
Pole Position

Had it, returned it and got my full refund because of the loss of torque. I called up K&N about the issue and they said that they noticed it already and they are working on it to resolve that issue. This was 7 months ago.
Old 01-21-10, 08:43 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bwhahah,working on it.

Originally Posted by crazee201
Had it, returned it and got my full refund because of the loss of torque. I called up K&N about the issue and they said that they noticed it already and they are working on it to resolve that issue. This was 7 months ago.
Old 01-21-10, 09:16 PM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Hello, original poster here.

I did reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for 60+ min during the KN air filter install. Drove around for 50-60 miles, no change, felt the same loss of power throughout the powerband (M mode, Sports mode.)

Not sure if the engine revs more quickly, feels the same to me, just louder under full throttle.

So reinstalled the OEM intake box, reset the ECU, and the low end torque is back... and I'm definitely not imagining the difference.

Will look into the Injen or Toms air filter now.... putting the KN kit up for sale, what a waste of money....
Old 01-22-10, 05:52 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Guys, if you look at the K and N website, it does indeed claims that the car loses torque and hp below 2000rpm,,, afterwards, its all uphill from there on.. So it makes sense to feel the loss of torque from a dig.. but my theory is,,, when you drive or race or whatever you do,, once the car accelerates, theres really no chance for it to drop below 2000rpm, unless you are driving like grandma that day,, if you are doing that, then theres no worry for torque or hp on that nice relaxing sunday cruise.. but seriously, once you are mashing it, the car shifts at 4000-5000 rpm,, basically where the K and N is kicking hard and screaming mad loud.. just my view on the K and N
Old 01-22-10, 12:56 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Guys, if you look at the K and N website, it does indeed claims that the car loses torque and hp below 2000rpm,,, afterwards, its all uphill from there on.. So it makes sense to feel the loss of torque from a dig.. but my theory is,,, when you drive or race or whatever you do,, once the car accelerates, theres really no chance for it to drop below 2000rpm, unless you are driving like grandma that day,, if you are doing that, then theres no worry for torque or hp on that nice relaxing sunday cruise.. but seriously, once you are mashing it, the car shifts at 4000-5000 rpm,, basically where the K and N is kicking hard and screaming mad loud.. just my view on the K and N
+ one on this theory. Have one and love it, even the wife likes driving the car now. I tried to put it back to stock, and she said it sounds WEAK like that, so back on the K&N went. At the drags last summer I ran against a identical stock F and I pulled on him by about a car in the 8th. and before you all start, yes it was the same color as mine, so NO that wasn't the difference In all actuality I really think one would be hard pressed to "feel" a 10 to 20 hp difference in a 400 + hp car. If you do, you missed your calling, you should have been a human dyno. Some of you here may be more knowledgeable than I am on this but I am pretty sure it takes around 100 hp increase to gain 1 second, If that is correct, then you would gain .1 to .2 with 10 to 20 hp increase. Either way the thing sounds like a BEAST with it on there, so, there it will stay. My next mod will either be a Joe Z exhaust or ISS Forged exhaust, need to do more research on them both. Though I do like the looks of the ISS tips.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter - loss of power?