IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Joe Z vs. Borla full exhaust comparisons!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-10, 08:52 AM
alpha6164
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Z vs. Borla full exhaust comparisons!

Thinking about buying an exhaust for the IS-F. I have read quite a lot and the Joe Z exhaust definitely sounds great and seems to pick up about ~25whp at peak. Any info on the Borla cat back exhaust? Setting the sound of both exhausts aside, do you think there is a performance difference between the two. Main reason for this question is that the Borla is about $600 cheaper which is significant. All inputs appreciated.
Old 01-01-10, 09:23 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alpha6164
Thinking about buying an exhaust for the IS-F. I have read quite a lot and the Joe Z exhaust definitely sounds great and seems to pick up about ~25whp at peak. Any info on the Borla cat back exhaust? Setting the sound of both exhausts aside, do you think there is a performance difference between the two. Main reason for this question is that the Borla is about $600 cheaper which is significant. All inputs appreciated.
I think it comes down to quality, the Jz is a quality system. BTW, if you do a search you will find a lot of information on all of the systems available.
Old 01-01-10, 11:08 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

with such praise for joe's products on here and even on other F forums, I'll admit I did look at other aftermarket exhaust setups with a bias. in the end, I'm getting my Joe Z/ PTS exhaust next week installed. from what ive heard, its flat out jaw dropping!!
Old 01-01-10, 01:01 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

The quality, sound, fit, and finish of the JoeZ is second to none. The Borla is nice, but they have a track record of poor fit and finish. After the JoeZ exhaust gets properly broken in (about 500 miles), it sounds incredible...Darshana S...
Old 01-01-10, 02:50 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

I have no experience with the Borla but I used to have the Joe Z on my other ISF. If/when I get an exhaust on my new F, it will be Joe Z...it's worth the money alpha.

On another note, what do you guys mean "broken in" on the exhaust? There is no break in, bolt her up, start her up, drive her...there is no break in.

Peter
Old 01-01-10, 03:41 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by houstonT
I have no experience with the Borla but I used to have the Joe Z on my other ISF. If/when I get an exhaust on my new F, it will be Joe Z...it's worth the money alpha.

On another note, what do you guys mean "broken in" on the exhaust? There is no break in, bolt her up, start her up, drive her...there is no break in.

Peter
I think they are referring to the exhaust sound. It definetely calms down after a few hundred miles in a good way.

Btw welcome back! Do you still have the GTR?
Old 01-01-10, 04:35 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

When I first installed my JoeZ it was a bit loud... but after putting about 500 miles on the exhaust it toned down a bit.

But I love it!! Its the best mod I ever did to my car =)
Old 01-01-10, 07:56 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

cayman - hey bud, I actually just sold the GTR...it was a GREAT car, just a bit too much for a daily driver...

As for the Joe Z getting quieter...you guys must be hearing things! LOL Why would an exhaust get quieter after 500 miles?

Peter
Old 01-01-10, 08:00 PM
MINO
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the borla competition. Sounded a lot better after a few hundred miles. Also have another $600 in my pocket to put towards the DMH electric cut-outs I've been meaning to do.

The fitment issues you hear about are real, but not a problem for an experienced installer. A little lube and a prybar will get everything lined up. It's a common issue for any slip-fit system. Definitely not a driveway install.

Most of the gains are from the removal of the secondary cats, which both systems do.
Old 01-02-10, 06:17 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

As for the Joe Z getting quieter...you guys must be hearing things! LOL Why would an exhaust get quieter after 500 miles?

Peter
Peter, I know you had this exhaust before, but it's certainly a real phenomenon. If the exhaust hadn't quieted down I was about to replace the mufflers with something else when I first installed. Like magic after around a few hundred miles, I think it was 300-400 it suddenly toned down in a more mature way. I was under the same impression as you and was wondering how an exhaust would ever become quieter. Considering that almost everyone on this forum has noticed the same thing, I contacted a buddy of mine who is a metallurgist for Volvo and he said that it's possible that with a certain number of heat cycles on the exhaust that it possibly changes the properties of the metal resulting in a sound difference from when it was new.
Old 01-02-10, 08:54 AM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Actually the reason the the exhaust gets quieter is that the resonators on the exhaust get "broken in" from the heat. This is what the guys at PTS (the guys you make the JoeZ exhaust) told me directly. I was one of those who when I initially installed the exhaust I thought I made a huge mistake about how loud it was. Even after 200 miles it was still really loud. But after talking to Joe and PTS, I gave it more time and it definately mellowed down and mellowed down to the perfect tone and volume....Darshana S...
Old 01-02-10, 10:06 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Actually the reason the the exhaust gets quieter is that the resonators on the exhaust get "broken in" from the heat. This is what the guys at PTS (the guys you make the JoeZ exhaust) told me directly. I was one of those who when I initially installed the exhaust I thought I made a huge mistake about how loud it was. Even after 200 miles it was still really loud. But after talking to Joe and PTS, I gave it more time and it definately mellowed down and mellowed down to the perfect tone and volume....Darshana S...
+1. My JoeZ exhaust 'mellowed' nicely after a few hundred miles and I love it just the way it is.
The best deal for fit & finish, performance and bling. You won't do better.

Colin.
Old 01-03-10, 03:56 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter
Hey Houston what happened to the first F?
Old 01-03-10, 06:36 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Very interesting feedback on the exhaust, when I had mine I noticed no difference in sound...hmmm, maybe I just missed it!

I sold my last ISF...bought a GTR...have since sold the GTR...have another ISF...

Peter
Old 01-03-10, 08:56 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I sold my last ISF...bought a GTR...have since sold the GTR...have another ISF...

Peter
coming full circle- what a beautiful story! haha....the joe z sounds amazing. ive heard the borla on some cars, but im not too sure about its performance.

Quick Reply: Joe Z vs. Borla full exhaust comparisons!