IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My New Wheels...WedsSport SA-67R

Old 03-29-15, 09:31 AM
got556
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They discontinued these wheels, correct? Just like Volk, they stop making all the good ones.
Old 03-29-15, 01:53 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Good to see your still around

Joe Z
Hi Joe.
Yeah, still around and still a proud IS-F owner. People still compliment me on the JoeZ exhaust, and I always highly recommend your awesome products.
Darshana S.
Old 03-29-15, 07:30 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supraman16
A fender trim would add likely about half inch to 1 inch, depending on how much material you trim off. I now have Michelin PSS 275's in the rear and much happier with the tire clearance as well as overall handling vs the 285 Nitto's. Also you have to remember, tire sizes from various tire companies aren't all the same...a 275 from one company maybe the equivalent 285 from another company.
Yeah, I realize that. I have specifically looked at section width and tread width when comparing tires, and the Nitto 285's that you mentioned have a section width of 11.34" compared to the Hankook 295's that I ordered which have a section width of 11.9" - so a over 1/2" (14.2mm) more. And didn't you say those rubbed even with shaved fenders?
Old 03-29-15, 07:33 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by got556
They discontinued these wheels, correct? Just like Volk, they stop making all the good ones.
Sadly, yes they did discontinue them. I was just recently shopping for new wheels and finally decided on these, only to be let down when I called around to get price quotes only to find out they had been discontinued and nobody has any in stock. I called everywhere I could find, even talked to Weds directly, and nobody had any or knew anywhere that I could find some. Makes me wonder where PDP180180 got "fitted" for them just a few months ago (in February) since they've apparently been discontinued for quite a while.

Luckily there was a set for sale in the member classifieds that I snatched up. They were VERY dirty when I got them, with what looked like a few years of brake dust caked on, but after a few hours of soaking, scrubbing, soaking some more, scrubbing some more, a bottle worth of Meguiar's wheel cleaner, a dozen microfiber rags, and an application of wheel wax, now they now look like this:

Last edited by jleonard71; 03-29-15 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 08:25 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Yeah, I realize that. I have specifically looked at section width and tread width when comparing tires, and the Nitto 285's that you mentioned have a section width of 11.34" compared to the Hankook 295's that I ordered which have a section width of 11.9" - so a over 1/2" (14.2mm) more. And didn't you say those rubbed even with shaved fenders?
Yeah, the 285 Nitto's rubbed under severe bumps, mainly in the rear corner of where the fender met the bumper. I am much happier with the 275's...the rubbing really bothered me.
Old 03-29-15, 08:51 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Yeah, the 285 Nitto's rubbed under severe bumps, mainly in the rear corner of where the fender met the bumper. I am much happier with the 275's...the rubbing really bothered me.
Damn, and that's the spot where it's the most difficult to get away with either rolling or shaving without it being noticed. Guess I could shave some off the bumper lip too in order to blend it a little.

Well my tires are already on the way so I might as well put them on and see how they fit and talk to the tire shop about the possibility of rolling or even shaving in a few spots. The shop I'm taking them to get mounted & balanced is one of the best in town (each time I've been there I've seen at least one Bentley, Ferrari, Lambo, or some other exotic), but also the most expensive @ $125/corner for rolling and $150 for shaving. Worst case scenario I'll have to ship them back and get a set of 245/275's shipped to me, but I'd rather stick with the 255/295 setup if at all possible.

Last edited by jleonard71; 03-29-15 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 01:34 AM
Ltaboso
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reading the WEDS owners,seems like everyone is enjoying these wheels,im also looking to buy a used set...i just want to ask the owners IF these lighter wheels will really give better acceleration...if so,i will probably go with WEDS rather than TE37s
Old 03-30-15, 05:08 AM
PDP180180
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
reading the WEDS owners,seems like everyone is enjoying these wheels,im also looking to buy a used set...i just want to ask the owners IF these lighter wheels will really give better acceleration...if so,i will probably go with WEDS rather than TE37s
In a word, yes.

You have less rotational mass, meaning better acceleration and braking.

Not sure what current models Wedsport offer in the right sizes for our cars?

I sourced my set from Kamispeed (authorised trader on here). Have a word with Josh.

He should be able to help out.

Don't get me wrong though, these do improve things, but not to a huge extent.

It's just one more step towards better performance and handling.
Old 03-30-15, 08:44 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

In my case my setup isn't going to be much lighter than stock because while the wheels are quite a bit lighter, my 255/295 tires are quite a bit heavier. I think after taking both wheels & tires into account I'm about 1-2lbs lighter than stock at each corner, so nothing major. But my wider tires are going to have much better traction off the line and better grip in corners, so I should still see improved acceleration & handling.

Oh, and these Weds are SOOO much better looking than the TE37's (which I personally think look cheap and outdated). They'd look good on something like an SC300 but not an ISF, except maybe as a set of 18's for track day.

Last edited by jleonard71; 03-30-15 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-30-15, 09:16 AM
Jamakan
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default New wedssport

Originally Posted by PDP180180
In a word, yes.

You have less rotational mass, meaning better acceleration and braking.

Not sure what current models Wedsport offer in the right sizes for our cars?

I sourced my set from Kamispeed (authorised trader on here). Have a word with Josh.

He should be able to help out.

Don't get me wrong though, these do improve things, but not to a huge extent.

It's just one more step towards better performance and handling.
Mine should be coming in soon. I ordered wedsport sa15r 19x9.5/10.5 +35/+45. Can't wait for them to come in.
http://www.wedssport.jp/images/wheel_xl_ws_sa15r_5.jpg
Old 03-30-15, 11:52 AM
Gearbangin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Love mine had them redone in satin black.
Old 03-30-15, 12:02 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ltaboso
From everything I've been reading, the difference in acceleration will be barely noticeable if at all (i haven't tested my set up for acceleration yet). What you will notice is that the car will feel more nimble, lighter and agile. The throttle response will also improve. I went with even lighter wheels than the weds. I was able to go with the wider tires and still saved around 7lbs in the back and 5 lbs in the front per wheel/tire. Throttle response, agility and breaking improved noticeably. Now the problem with testing acceleration is that I won't know whether it was because of the much improved rubber, because of the weight reduction, or more likely, because of both.

BTW, I love the weds and wanted to go with them but I needed the strongest I could get living in ny roads so anything less than forged was out for me. I had already bent one of my stock wheels.

Last edited by jat0223; 03-30-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 05:14 PM
airvtec
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Discontinued? Oh no, I better be careful with mine. Blue light chrome can't be repaired. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way years back.

Name:  WEDSSPORT1.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  72.9 KB
Old 03-30-15, 05:35 PM
Jamakan
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by airvtec
Discontinued? Oh no, I better be careful with mine. Blue light chrome can't be repaired. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way years back.

Whoa. Riding on rubber bands. Pretty brave my friend.
Old 04-02-15, 04:14 PM
airvtec
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamakan
Whoa. Riding on rubber bands. Pretty brave my friend.
Just look that way in the picture. They are 19's, so no worse than stock profile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My New Wheels...WedsSport SA-67R