IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New tires for the F?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-09, 12:43 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New tires for the F?

Well it's time to get some tires and I wanted see what fellow IS-F owners were recommending. First of all I don't have the cash to go with Michelin PS2s. I was thinking of the Nitto Invos or Hankook Evo12. The only concern with both of these tires from what I've read is that there is a certain degree of sidewall flex that takes away from the handling ability. I was thinking of the new Nitto NT-05 or Bridgestone RE-11 but i dont know if these tires would be too stiff to use on a daily driver, especially one with a stiff suspension like the IS-F. If any of you own these tires any feedback would be apperciated. Also any other tires that you guys would recommend? Thanks for the input...Darshana S... *
Old 11-29-09, 02:12 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

A search found this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f/448376-tires.html

and this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ggestions.html

Lou
Old 11-29-09, 02:32 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Thanks for the links but I actually read through those threads. I was hoping for some first hand experience from those who actually tryed out the tires I mentioned above or other tires...I saw some people had tried the Hankooks but didn't really comment about if there was any compromise in the handling factor from the softer sidewall. The stock Bridgestones actually have a relatively stiff sidewall which I'm sure contributes to the great stock handling. But I wanted to try something different...Darshana S...
Old 11-29-09, 02:41 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I am currently running some Continental ExtremeContact DW. They are cheaper, last longer, but unfortunately I'd have to say they do not perform as well as the Pilot Sport PS2, and are a bit more noisy on the highway. I have a friend who is running some Pirelli PZero Rosso and loves them very much. Those are summer compound tires.

In all honesty, a tire with a profile such as this one will come off the rim before it flexes in any way. If you stick to Y-rated summer compounds, you'll have plenty of stiffness. The only difference in handling you might feel if you go cheaper than a Pilot Sport PS2 is that it will not hook up to the road as good.
Old 11-29-09, 03:06 PM
ISFAIL
Rookie

I'm getting Nitto Invos after weeks of research and reviews. Great handling, durability great traction wet/dry and an awesome price at half of what PS2's are running. I've gotten over 20k miles on my OEM Potenzas but I am not impressed with overall traction as my rear end started breaking loose after a couple thousand miles!
Old 11-29-09, 03:51 PM
Nautique
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Nitto Invos should arrive this week. 275/30 in the rear, 245/35 up front. Stock wheels. Drive out is about $1170, but I'll get a few bills back by trading in the stock Potenzas...
Old 11-29-09, 05:59 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most of my cars run Toyo T1r's and I've had great success with them. Negative camber wears soft tires fast and the Toyo's have proven that they wear decent and give me plenty of traction dry or wet for daily driver.

When I pick up my next set of rims for the ISF I plan to try Falken Azenis 615 tires which I've read great reviews on. Important factors to me are quiet on highway and works well in both rain and the dry.

I can't stand how most CA drivers drop to 50 mph the minute it starts to rain! WTF
Old 11-29-09, 07:14 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

i would buy nt05s before i purchase invo's. that would be my last tire i ever buy. I had them on my car for 30 min and took them back off. The sidewall flex's so much the car sways so bad in turns. I bought PS2s.
Old 11-29-09, 07:20 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed my tires a while ago. I picked up 4 Kumho Ecsta SPT XL's and am perfectly happy with them. A lot cheaper than the PS2's and seem to work just fine. PS, I tracked the car a couple of times w/ the PS2, have not done so w/ the Kumho's.

Old 11-29-09, 07:21 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Originally Posted by chrisburke
i would buy nt05s before i purchase invo's. that would be my last tire i ever buy. I had them on my car for 30 min and took them back off. The sidewall flex's so much the car sways so bad in turns. I bought PS2s.
Chris,
Can you tell me what size Invo's you had and what was the tire pressure you ran in them. I've heard if you run close to the max tire pressure it takes away the sidewall flex. I'm very worried about the sidewall flex in the Invo's but I'm trying to decide if I can live with some slight sidewall flex vs a bit more stiff ride from the NT-05. My IS-F is my daily driver so I want somewhat a comfortable ride. Thanks...Darshana S...
Old 11-29-09, 07:29 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Chris,
Can you tell me what size Invo's you had and what was the tire pressure you ran in them. I've heard if you run close to the max tire pressure it takes away the sidewall flex. I'm very worried about the sidewall flex in the Invo's but I'm trying to decide if I can live with some slight sidewall flex vs a bit more stiff ride from the NT-05. My IS-F is my daily driver so I want somewhat a comfortable ride. Thanks...Darshana S...
If you run a higher tire pressure you will lose a lot of stability and your tire will wear uneavenly.
Old 11-30-09, 08:55 AM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by s4play
Most of my cars run Toyo T1r's and I've had great success with them. Negative camber wears soft tires fast and the Toyo's have proven that they wear decent and give me plenty of traction dry or wet for daily driver.

When I pick up my next set of rims for the ISF I plan to try Falken Azenis 615 tires which I've read great reviews on. Important factors to me are quiet on highway and works well in both rain and the dry.

I can't stand how most CA drivers drop to 50 mph the minute it starts to rain! WTF

RTs are sick. I had them on the is-f too. Switched to toyo R1r. A new RT tire was just released according to them at sema and should result in a more stickier compound. I am looking forward in testing a set.
Old 12-01-09, 09:29 AM
ISFfan
Pole Position

I switched mine to Pirelli PZero Rosso when i got my aftermarket rims. highly recommended, I love the ride on them.

I had the PS2's before the Pzero's and I can't really decide which I like better, but I feel more connected to the road with the PZero's..
Old 12-01-09, 12:03 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I'd have to agree with Rick on this, the Toyo T1R's are great daily driving tires. I've had several sets on my previous IS300 and GS350. Both lasted a long time and grip very well in wet weather.
Old 12-01-09, 06:01 PM
ISFAIL
Rookie

If I'm not mistaken the Azenis 615's don't come in 19's and are DOT track tires that aren't very good for any wet or street driving

http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Pass...enis-RT-615-14

Last edited by ISFAIL; 12-01-09 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: New tires for the F?