IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

F:1, m:0

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-09, 03:47 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F:1, m:0

Maybe Fs are more rare in NorCal, but I was up there this weekend and got stopped several times cuz peeps complimented the car and wanted more info. I don't mod my car for attention, but it's nice to get positive feedback.

One particular encounter was pretty cool. I was looking for parking in the hotel lot, and found a corner spot right next to a clean aw e90 m3. The spot was perfect! So I grabbed it and proceeded to take out the luggage.

At that point, I noticed that a security guard was approaching me. I looked around cuz I thought I was in trouble.. maybe I wasn't supposed to park there? Much to my relief, he was like "Wow! That is one %$#%^&^ nice Lexus you got. What is that? Some crazy modified version?" I thanked him and explained the F to him, and he walked all around the car. As he walked away, he looked back and was like "And that color, woooo, it just shines man!".

The best part of the whole encounter wasn't that he complimented my car, but the fact that he did not notice the m3 parked next to me at ALL. I mean, not even one look. He glanced around it to check out my car, like it was a Camry. So for those of you who prefer to be stealth and blend in, the M is def the way to go!

Ok, so the e90 was bone stock, so it's not really fair. But here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails F:1, m:0-photo.jpg  
Old 11-16-09, 05:10 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice writeup, its true the M3 just blends in unless you know what your looking for(hood bulge, side vents and quad exhausts). I get looks all the time, especially USB.
Old 11-16-09, 05:15 PM
niteLEX
Lead Lap

doesn't hurt to make ur day a lil better....
Old 11-16-09, 05:57 PM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

I get about the same amount of attention in my M that I did in the F, which hasn't been much. In the 8 months or so I had my F only one person ever walked up to me and asked about the car. I also didn't notice many people checking out the car while on the road. In the month or so I've had the M I've only had one encounter with a group of teenagers in a truck honking and yelling, "nice car!" to me. I actually like not being noticed very often.

I will say that I think the F has a more special look to it. I personally prefer the more subtle styling of the M3, but it is a bit bland compared to the F.

The styling cue that F has that I wish was on my M are the dark finished wheels. My M3 puts out just about as much brake dust as the F did so the polished rims look dirty really fast. I also miss the big Brembo calipers peaking through those dark wheels. I still do not get why BMW uses a sliding single piston caliper on a M car.
Old 11-16-09, 07:04 PM
tryama
Rookie

I would have to compliment too if I saw a car as sexy as yours! Lol. Good stuff!
Old 11-16-09, 10:33 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

sexy ride! the m3's are all too common here in so cal as well. my girl and i frequent nor cal cuz she lives there, and there isnt a good half hour that passes that i dont see an m3. the F on the other hand, very rare, even in so cal (not so much anymore but still more so than the m3).
Old 11-16-09, 10:42 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

At that point, I noticed that a security guard was approaching me. I looked around cuz I thought I was in trouble.. maybe I wasn't supposed to park there? Much to my relief, he was like "Wow! That is one %$#%^&^ nice Lexus you got. What is that? Some crazy modified version?" I thanked him and explained the F to him, and he walked all around the car. As he walked away, he looked back and was like "And that color, woooo, it just shines man!".

The best part of the whole encounter wasn't that he complimented my car, but the fact that he did not notice the m3 parked next to me at ALL. I mean, not even one look. He glanced around it to check out my car, like it was a Camry. So for those of you who prefer to be stealth and blend in, the M is def the way to go!
that's funny!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 11-16-09 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-17-09, 06:55 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Nice car for sure......I like the M3 Coupe a lot better then the sedan.......
Old 11-17-09, 07:56 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
sexy ride! the m3's are all too common here in so cal as well. my girl and i frequent nor cal cuz she lives there, and there isnt a good half hour that passes that i dont see an m3. the F on the other hand, very rare, even in so cal (not so much anymore but still more so than the m3).
The same applies here in South Florida.
Old 11-17-09, 09:56 AM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

I did a personal survey before I bought my F, I printed pictures of the M3 and F (front,back,side,interior etc,erased the emblem too).I then showed the pics to regular people I know from work and family members, people who did not care about cars or not into cars.70% picked the F......I asked why? most replied it looks gorgeously unique. When I told them it was a Lexus and the other a BMW a few changed their minds and said they would take the M3 instead
Old 11-17-09, 12:17 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

ha ha thanks guys.

Originally Posted by Galaxy 40
I did a personal survey before I bought my F, I printed pictures of the M3 and F (front,back,side,interior etc,erased the emblem too).I then showed the pics to regular people I know from work and family members, people who did not care about cars or not into cars.70% picked the F......I asked why? most replied it looks gorgeously unique. When I told them it was a Lexus and the other a BMW a few changed their minds and said they would take the M3 instead
Wow that's actually very interesting! I have always wondered, if manufacturers gave out test cars to magazines without any emblems and heavily masked, would the reviewers still give out the same scores? It'd be interesting to see how one's perception may be subconsciously skewed because of the badge, and that goes for the common folk all the way to enthusiasts.
Old 11-17-09, 01:58 PM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
It'd be interesting to see how one's perception may be subconsciously skewed because of the badge
BMW owners? Buying cus of the BADGE?? REAAAAALLY??? You don't say!!!

( )
Old 11-17-09, 03:55 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL your story is funny but was that security guard an old guy or young guy? My experience is that younger guys tend to like the M3 more while older ones like Lexus.

I think this is a persona that Lexus has been trying to get rid of for a while and with the new LF-A out it shows it can compete ~ too bad at $400k a pop few would ever be able to afford such a car!

It's not fair since you have USB which is a stunning color while BMW white is quite mudane in comparison....haha But quite honestly if you park a white m3 coupe vs a white IS-F, it's a really tough call. I own the IS-F but always admire the m3's more aggressive lines. I would say stock for stock the m3 coupe is a sexier car.

The e90 sedan however is butt ugly and the IS-F will win every time in the looks department if you compare sedan to sedan

rick
Old 11-17-09, 04:49 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had a similar thing happen to me at fry's off automall and near mcarthy ranch with a bunch of toyota guys hanging out in the parking lot...
Old 11-18-09, 04:39 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by s4play
The e90 sedan however is butt ugly and the IS-F will win every time in the looks department if you compare sedan to sedan

rick
Ouch! I completely respect your opinion (and your fantastic list of current and past rides), but I think the M3 sedan is a nice looking car. The LCI in 2009 helped with a redesigned tail end that gave the sedan a more aggressive look. The car in the OP's picture is a 2008. Here is a tail shot of my car for comparison.

Here is a customized blue M3 sedan that might be a little better competition for the OP's car.

Last edited by Cabinetman; 11-18-09 at 04:47 AM.

Quick Reply: F:1, m:0