IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Brake Pads and Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 02:21 AM
ALF6310
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake Pads and Rotors

Just had my2008 IS-F (which i drive on the conservative side )in for the 20K service. I was expecting brake pads as they were in the yellow at the 15 K service. I was a bit taken aback when I was told that not only the pads needed to be replaced but the rotors as well. There was still 2mm of pad remaining on my pads and my car has been in for all required services.
The cost of the pads and machining the rotors was to be approx. $600. The cost quoted me had I had to pay for the rotors as well would have been approx. $1300. Fortunately the dealer replaced the rotors and wrote it off to warranty although the service dept. was quick to point out that rotors are usually not a warranted component.
My reaction is that if one invests in a high performance car like the IS-F and maintains it as scheduled there should be no need to replace rotors at 20K in a conservatively driven car. I am concerned about the quality and durability of a braking system system regarding the rotors. I have sent off an e-mail to Lexus expressing my concern. They are supposedly following up and are to get back to me.
My question is, have others been equally disappointed and experienced extremely short brake pad or rotor life on IS-F's that have not been flogged and pushed to the extreme. I do not think I have ever replaced rotors on any car I have owned including the Infiniti G-35 that I drove in a like manner for two years before trading it in for my IS-F and which still had the the original brake pads at 22,500 miles.
Your thoughts, observations and insights would be appreciated and any relevant ones would be passed on to Lexus in anticipated upcoming communications.
Old 11-11-09, 04:23 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The fact that the car is considered a high performance vehicle does not translate into extended service life for wear items such as pads and rotors. On the contrary, these items usually wear out much quicker than items designed for "pedestrian" use as indicated by what your experienced with your brake parts. I'd consider myself lucky if the dealer replaced the rotors for free.
Old 11-11-09, 06:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

As mentioned above we have performance brakes that are wonderfully functional. The drawback to this is wear and dust. Much has been written about this. Follow this link to another thread, which leads you to two additional threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...life-on-f.html

Lou
Old 11-11-09, 08:12 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess you haven't visited the IS-F's official homepage, right? I knew it before I purchased my IS-F back in June 08, I was warned already:

http://www.lexus.com/models/ISF/feat...ce/brakes.html

Read the whole page, especially note [1] at the footer.

Great brakes for such a heavy car.
Old 11-11-09, 08:28 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I wish I could channel all the energy that went into complaining about the short life span of brake related items into developing reverse facing rocket boosters
Old 11-11-09, 10:09 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Stopping quickly and consistently is not only a good idea in terms of safety, it also helps reduce lap times. Brembo® crafted a special brake system [1] for the IS F, including massive six-piston aluminum calipers that clamp huge 14.2-inch cross-drilled rotors in front and two-piston calipers with 13.6-inch cross-drilled rotors in the rear to consistently provide short, drama-free stops.

lol. It says "drama free" stops but didn't mention drama free credit card bill.
Old 11-11-09, 10:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by ALF6310
Just had my2008 IS-F (which i drive on the conservative side )in for the 20K service. I was expecting brake pads as they were in the yellow at the 15 K service. I was a bit taken aback when I was told that not only the pads needed to be replaced but the rotors as well. There was still 2mm of pad remaining on my pads and my car has been in for all required services.
The cost of the pads and machining the rotors was to be approx. $600. The cost quoted me had I had to pay for the rotors as well would have been approx. $1300. Fortunately the dealer replaced the rotors and wrote it off to warranty although the service dept. was quick to point out that rotors are usually not a warranted component.
My reaction is that if one invests in a high performance car like the IS-F and maintains it as scheduled there should be no need to replace rotors at 20K in a conservatively driven car. I am concerned about the quality and durability of a braking system system regarding the rotors. I have sent off an e-mail to Lexus expressing my concern. They are supposedly following up and are to get back to me.
My question is, have others been equally disappointed and experienced extremely short brake pad or rotor life on IS-F's that have not been flogged and pushed to the extreme. I do not think I have ever replaced rotors on any car I have owned including the Infiniti G-35 that I drove in a like manner for two years before trading it in for my IS-F and which still had the the original brake pads at 22,500 miles.
Your thoughts, observations and insights would be appreciated and any relevant ones would be passed on to Lexus in anticipated upcoming communications.
First - you're wasting breath complaining about it. There are multiple warnings about short service life even on the IS350.

Second - Depending on the dealer to give you an assessment of your brakes is asking for frequent service. There is a very big reason I do all this stuff myself. I know what the pad measures, I know what the disc measures, and I know when it's time to change both.

Third - there are aftermarket options for discs that are far cheaper than the OEM Brembo rotors. These rotors seem to be especially soft and intended to wear out as fast as the pads from the factory. This is considered normal on many Mercedes-Benz cars. My rotors have dramatically reduced wear and dust from the track weekend I did. They got extremely hot and are now hardened significantly. Dust is a lot less and wear is hardly measurable.

Fourth - I always check the pricing on brakes before I buy a car so I know what to expect. High performance brakes have a shorter service life and usually a lot higher maintenance cost.

Last - your driving has more to do with service life than anything. Brakes on my cars typically last a very long time. Many IS350 owners complained (as you are) about their brakes lasting only 15 - 25k miles. I had my original (low dust TSIB) pads and rotors on my 350 when I traded it for my F. It had just short of 60k miles on it.
Old 11-11-09, 11:14 AM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Very interesting indeed.......
Old 11-11-09, 11:59 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I really have nothing to add that others have not already said accept, search the forum before you post. You will find that this exact topic has been discussed ad nauseam here.

One more point that I will make that you didn't mention is the cost of parts (seemed to me the issue in your post was simply service interval). The cost of pads and rotors for the F are EXACTLY in line with the Brembo parts used in Porsche cars (my previous 996) and other high performance vehicles.

This is an expensive high performance car and it will be expensive to maintain and repair just like: AMG, ///M, Jaguar "R", Cadillac "V", Audi "RS", Porsche, Corvette, Aston Martin, Bentley, etc, etc. Essentially almost all the above cars use the Brembo braking system.
Old 11-11-09, 12:02 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Stopping quickly and consistently is not only a good idea in terms of safety, it also helps reduce lap times. Brembo® crafted a special brake system [1] for the IS F, including massive six-piston aluminum calipers that clamp huge 14.2-inch cross-drilled rotors in front and two-piston calipers with 13.6-inch cross-drilled rotors in the rear to consistently provide short, drama-free stops.

lol. It says "drama free" stops but didn't mention drama free credit card bill.

From the footnote:
[1]High-friction brakes are standard equipment for the front brakes only and require periodic inspection and measurement as outlined in the Warranty and Services Guide. The pads and rotors are expected to experience greater wear than conventional brakes. Pad life may be less than 20,000 miles, and brake rotor life may be less than 50,000 miles depending on driving conditions.
Old 11-12-09, 12:36 AM
MicaISF
Pole Position

20k is not bad for a set of fade-free pads that can bring 4000 lbs to a complete stop in 112 ft.

Last edited by MicaISF; 11-12-09 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-12-09, 01:03 PM
rnpjstewar
Driver School Candidate

I have 34500 miles on my ISF
5mm brake left with some rotor wear...
Lot of Highway miles but I don't baby it.
6mm on the rear
Old 11-12-09, 01:24 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lolz. i have 6,000 miles and my front pads are like at 4mm. i drive like a granny also.
these pads and rotors are a joke.
Old 11-12-09, 03:11 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
lolz. i have 6,000 miles and my front pads are like at 4mm. i drive like a granny also...
These two things do not go together. Do you left foot brake?
Old 11-16-09, 04:32 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably encounter down hill every day

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
These two things do not go together. Do you left foot brake?

Quick Reply: Brake Pads and Rotors