IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Twin turbo IS-F 1/4 mile *VIDEO* Somone please confirm...Grrrr

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 06:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
You don't have to go wider if you go stickier. Wider and stickier of course would be even better. For instance I use 245's at the drag strip.
Right, but you're not trying to hook up with another 100 hp. There's no 245 made that will handle 500+ hp cold. Even hot, it's going to have issues. I think this is the biggest reason we're not seeing stellar numbers from the TT or N2O enhanced IS-Fs.
Old 11-04-09, 06:56 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to go wider if you go stickier. Wider and stickier of course would be even better. For instance I use 245's at the drag strip.
Simply going wider is ultimately less expensive than going stickier, or even better stickier and wider. That being said, you can't really go stickier than Pilot Sport Cups or BF Goodrich R1's for quality street-legal tires... and they have a treadwear rating of 80 and 40, respectively, and are very expensive. Pilot Sport PS2s with a treadwear of 220 or 280 (don't remember), are probably the best compromise.
Old 11-04-09, 07:07 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Right, but you're not trying to hook up with another 100 hp. There's no 245 made that will handle 500+ hp cold. Even hot, it's going to have issues. I think this is the biggest reason we're not seeing stellar numbers from the TT or N2O enhanced IS-Fs.
Very true. If the tires aren't at temperature they will not handle the power. I think Oztiks also uses 245's as well at the drag strip and isn't having trouble hooking with his 200hp shot. I personally believe traction is not an issue with this car at the dragstrip in obtaining stellar numbers. The tranny certainly is though with no way to drop the power down like a clutch or transbrake or even a higher stall speed.
Old 11-04-09, 07:28 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very true. If the tires aren't at temperature they will not handle the power. I think Oztiks also uses 245's as well at the drag strip and isn't having trouble hooking with his 200hp shot. I personally believe traction is not an issue with this car at the dragstrip in obtaining stellar numbers. The tranny certainly is though with no way to drop the power down like a clutch or transbrake or even a higher stall speed.
so what is the widest rear tires we can run ?
Old 11-04-09, 07:32 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I think that the general conscensus is that the widest you can run on the stock rims, without it looking all fat like a drag radial, is 275.

http://www.lexusfforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874
Old 11-04-09, 07:33 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LEXUSF
so what is the widest rear tires we can run ?
+1... what's the downside for running wider than factory recommended specs besides cost?
Old 11-04-09, 07:43 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Gearing isn't the problem. It's the skinny tires the factory gave us. My Supra is 300+ lbs lighter than the F and it came with 255s. Everyone tracking a Supra says it needs 315's on all four corners. I'd say that says the F could use 335's on all four corners for the weight it has.
Edited my OP. I have no issues with traction with the DR's, but the car will not allow a < 1.9..
Old 11-04-09, 07:47 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

You got it. With my MT's warmed up they stick to the track like GLUE. I am running your exact config (IS350 8.5" wheels on 245 MT DR's)

The car, no matter how *I* launch it (not saying it's not a driver problem!) runs the near the exact same 60'. This is pretty interesting seeing as we're talking bone stock, vs a 200HP kick in the pants, making virtually no difference in my 60' (consistently)......

Before I dig myself in too deep here, I do have more research (track time) to spend before I can come up with some better details. I am looking to find a good datalogger at this point, as the one in my nitrous controller is virtually useless (it corrupts the log files all the time)
Old 11-04-09, 08:37 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I agree. Don't buy the IS-F if speed's where your head's at.

Wait so 400+ hp, brembo brakes and all that other good stuff is for nothing? Guess im sticking with my cobalt then....(sarcasm)

Dude that comment was really dumb....
Old 11-04-09, 10:30 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oztiks
You got it. With my MT's warmed up they stick to the track like GLUE. I am running your exact config (IS350 8.5" wheels on 245 MT DR's)

The car, no matter how *I* launch it (not saying it's not a driver problem!) runs the near the exact same 60'. This is pretty interesting seeing as we're talking bone stock, vs a 200HP kick in the pants, making virtually no difference in my 60' (consistently)......

Before I dig myself in too deep here, I do have more research (track time) to spend before I can come up with some better details. I am looking to find a good datalogger at this point, as the one in my nitrous controller is virtually useless (it corrupts the log files all the time)
You still dont spray first correct?
Old 11-04-09, 10:33 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDMToyotas

Wait so 400+ hp, brembo brakes and all that other good stuff is for nothing? Guess im sticking with my cobalt then....(sarcasm)

Dude that comment was really dumb....
no it's not dumb because i'm assuming he meant solely speed. we are comparing relatively with price - including base price and mods. so at $75k ($60k F and $15 TT), you really can get a lighter weight, easier to mod to higher HP, resulting in a really fast car that would spank the ISF. jeez, to do this right, at the very least order a base without moonroof/nav/ML system to save weight, which is the main problem of this car, then throw on a TT.

and i am assuming you are looking at the whole package of the ISF, which would make that comment seem wrong. none of us are disagreeing that as a daily driver / wicked fast sedan this car is awesome. i think most of us aren't buying the BS that the TT ISF can run 10's. this car is just too heavy, so this person is a bad liar and thinks everyone is bad at physics, or he withholding pertinent information that would explain the alleged times.

Last edited by malujerry; 11-04-09 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-04-09, 10:34 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Girls cheering for the lexus is music to my ears...

oh crap i mean turbo spooling.
Old 11-04-09, 11:16 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

From reading all the comments about no traction issues with the added 200 extra ponies to the ISF then I would agree with caymandive that it might have to do something with the crazy short gearing tranny that can't handle the power. Assuming if our tranny was stronger and having longer gears it might do better in the 1/4 mile but IMO I think the ISF would do alot better if the car itself had a major diet and lost 600-800 lbs rather then adding uneccessary extra power and weight.

Last edited by ISF-88; 11-04-09 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-05-09, 10:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by oztiks

I have been heavily researching a drag set up for the rear wheels...

I was looking at some 17x9 light weight wheels with some MT drag radials...
Tire size would have to be 275-40-17

Just yesterday I was rolling in traffic at 40mph and opened up a small gap a head of me. I got down to second gear and spun the crap out of my 265-30 19's... when I mashed on the gas..

I can NOT go to the track until a get a decent set up for traction.

Joe Z
Old 11-05-09, 08:13 PM
A03
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ISF-88
IMO there's no way that IS-F did 11.4 1/4 mile with street tires. Maybe with drag radials...the way he posted on youtube on his times wasn't really specific enough and also he didn't post a 60' time nor a trap speed. If he had a trap speed of 120+ mph then yes most likely he's in the high 11's.

Lets say comparing this run to my friend's modified CLS55 amg run that his car made 552whp and 760ft lbs of tq on the dyno, he ran a 1.7 60' 11.36@124.75mph at pacific raceways drag strip on slicks. Also the CLS55 was still running really low 12's with street tires cuz he couldn't get traction. Even though the CLS55's weight is alot heavier then the ISF alone (CLS55: 4400 lbs vs ISF: 3800lbs) but with the Artisan Twin Turbo kit added to the ISF, with all it's piping the TT ISF car itself should weigh in the 4000+ lb range.

IMO to a conclusion I would say yes the TT'd ISF can run 11.4 on slicks but no way with street tires. This guy is full BS with his 1/4 mile time.

Friend's CLS55 1/4 mile run video
http://www.vimeo.com/7093762

This CLS55 is mean, I've seen him beat semi modded R35 GTR's on highway roll races.
My Buddy had a CLS55 AMG and bone stock(His Preference) and its frightening..With that in mind modded CLS modded is hell bent!!
Recently he just got a ($140K)CL63 AMG(Traded his CLS) paid the difference in cash..

Quick Reply: Twin turbo IS-F 1/4 mile *VIDEO* Somone please confirm...Grrrr