Weekend garage project: DIY muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-09, 07:05 PM
Underdog_
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weekend garage project: DIY muffler delete w/video

Hello All,

I haven't posted here yet, but I've been reading for quite sometime. This forum was especially helpful when I was researching/shopping for an IS-F. Now that I've had my car for a little while, I'm completely thrilled with everything the F offers...except for the exhaust, it's too dang tame!

Obviously plenty of folks feel the same way, as I've read about many of them going with the awesome JoeZ exhaust system, and while it sounds mean, I'm not ready to take the plunge with a full exhaust just yet. On the other hand, I'd heard of some folks getting rid of their mufflers with pretty good results, so I decided to give it a try instead.

I started off by picking up a stock IS-F axle-back pipe (with no mufflers) from another forum member. While that was in transit I started getting the other pieces and parts together. Since I like to tinker, and wasn't sure if I'd like the sound of a muffler-less F, I designed a little more flexibility into the setup by using three bolt flanges. That way, I could swap in a set of mufflers, or even have a couple choices if I wanted it.

Here's a shot of the flange that I went with. It fits tightly over the stock IS-F exhaust pipe. This is a NAPA part number, and if you look real close, you can see a Walker part number under their sticker. Sneaky! Also, the list price on these is way high for a simple steel flange. All I did was say "sheesh" and they quickly cut the price in half. I wish it was this easy to get discounts like this everywhere I go!

To go along with the flanges, I also picked up this exhaust gasket which is made to fit these flanges, and does so perfectly.

The first step was taking this boat anchor of a stock rear section off the car. Two bolts and a few rubber hangers and it was pulled from its happy home.

Here's the complete stock axle-back section (w/mufflers) and the pipe-only version that I picked up. As it appears, the mufflers add a ton of weight to this piece.

Here's the flange on the pipe. It just takes a little filing to get a perfect snug fit.

Here's the mufflerless pipe in place. As you can see there is a ton of room without the one bedroom studio muffler out of the way.

Here are both flanges mounted to give you an idea of where they sit under the car.

Finally, I get to throw some sparks! If any of you are considering learning how to weld, I highly recommend it. It's lots of fun and very rewarding. Plus you get to wear a welding helmet. Today I went and got the mail while wearing it. Keeps the neighbors guessing.

Ahh, Saturday in the garage. I grew up around cars and have been wrenching on cars for a long time and there's few things that I enjoy more than taking on a little weekend project in the garage. For me, there's nothing that clears my mind and helps me forget about all of the day to day work stuff like this.

Speaking of the garage, here's a couple of my cars that share a home with my IS-F. First up is my 1991 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD. I have been heavy into the 4G63 Mitsu powered cars for about 14 years now and this is my beast. I'm going for the sleeper look with this one, and it's fun suprising folks with it. Last trip to the track (crappy 1/8 mile) was a 7.40@100mph on 93 octane. You can read all about it, watch videos, etc. here: http://talon.turbomirage.com

Here's another one of my toys that gets to stay in the garage with the F. It's a 1992 Miata that I turbocharged. I'm not a "yellow car guy" or a Miata guy for that matter, but who can argue with 2300lbs, RWD and 222hp and 247lb/ft at the wheels? If you're interested, I've got all of that info at http://miata.turbomirage.com

Ok, back to the project! Here's a shot of the stock pipe with the flanges welded to it.

Next up was cutting the staight steel pipe to lengthand joining it to the other set of flanges. In this picture, I'm bending the steel rod that will be used for the exhaust hanger. I used the wire coat hanger as a template for the bends/lengths needed.

The delete pipes turned out great! They look very simple, but measuring/cutting them just right to fit/line up with the stock collectors was important and easy to mess up. I also welded the nuts to the flange to make installation/removal easier.

This is the best paint on earth. I've been using it for many years and am always amazed how easy it goes on, how good it looks for so many uses, and especially how tough it is. I spray this stuff on my toast in the morning.

Here are the delete pipes installed!

Each pipe uses one of the stock rubber mounting isolators.

The best part is that you can't see a thing from behind the car!

Stay tuned for part two, which will be some video to give you an idea of what it sounds like! Thanks for reading.

Muffler Delete - YouTube Video

Last edited by Underdog_; 10-25-09 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Added link to the video
Old 10-24-09, 09:02 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

awe mannn... Everything but the video!

Looks great and can't wait to hear the results!
Old 10-24-09, 10:06 PM
lx470man
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BOOO, video.
Old 10-24-09, 11:22 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

AWESOME DIY! I can't imagine what this sounds like - help me out by adding the vid!

Love the commentary too. Duplicolor + Toast = win.
Old 10-25-09, 05:54 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Well, I guess I did the opposite to what you did, I went to a dual system, and kept the stock mufflers. When I first studied the exhaust system, I wondered why Lexus did not employee a real dual system, I also thought that the crush at the Y in the rear section would be an impediment in the flow. I also liked the tone from the stock mufflers. It appears you have done a nice neat job, I applaud your skills. A link to my system is below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...first-mod.html

Lou
Old 10-25-09, 09:43 AM
ni8done
Driver

I am running the same setup!! Its sounds ridiculous! I get complements on it and head turns all the time!
Old 10-25-09, 10:05 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Great Writeup. Thanks for the share!!!
Old 10-25-09, 10:51 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

very nice setup. not only does it look stealth from underneath but also takes out some weight in the process. nice work dude!
Old 10-25-09, 12:45 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

exactly what i did. but removed the tips off the bumper and ran duals out staggered... LOVE IT.. looks nice..
Old 10-25-09, 01:14 PM
Underdog_
Rookie

Thanks for all of the great comments and kind words fellas! I really appreciate it. Here's a quick video I put together to give you an idea of the sound.

Video on YouTube - Check it out!

I haven't had the chance to drive it much, so I need a few more days to give everyone my overall impression. So far, it sounds killer at start up and at WOT. The downshift blips are also much better, since you can actually hear them now (I eeked one in at the end of the video ) The only downside to me is that it's kinda boomy under light load between 1800-2100. Otherwise the sound totally disappears unless you call on it. Idle is barely louder, which I expected to be more pronounced.

Thanks again guys! More to come...
Old 10-25-09, 01:20 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

i took out my resonator too.. its crazy loud... nice work...
Old 10-25-09, 01:24 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
very nice setup. not only does it look stealth from underneath but also takes out some weight in the process. nice work dude!
i still have the mufflers and they are HEAVY, i can weigh them later and let you know how much they are...
Old 10-25-09, 01:48 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Very nice and clean sounding. I would have thought that this mod would have made the car sound more raspy. Nice work
Old 10-25-09, 04:01 PM
Mv350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that definetly sounds good
Old 10-25-09, 04:02 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Pretty cool DIY! The project looks very good and sounds even better. I'm sure you picked up some descent power and you shed some weight.

I also checked out your site and noticed we had similar cars in the past. When I was 16 (1991) I had my eye on the Eagle Talon and NOTHING else. It wasn't until 1995 that I was able to get my hands on one and had it longer than any other car I've owned. It was a 1990 Black/Silver AWD and was worked on primarily at Extreme Motorsports which was about 30 minutes from where I was stationed. Ever since I've had this mod bug and just can't shake it. I also had the EVO VIII back in 2003. Long live the 4G63.

Quick Reply: Weekend garage project: DIY muffler delete