IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: how do u warm up your car? Which way is best?
until it drops below 1
20.90%
only a few seconds/not really at all
46.27%
about a minute
32.84%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

how do u warm up your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 05:20 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how do u warm up your car?

there seems to be a lot of debate in this thread here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...e-warm-up.html
both sides make interesting points
some warm until it drops below 1
some believe its better to drive after a few seconds
some let it warm for a minute

which do u do?
Old 10-11-09, 07:24 PM
verals05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once my JoeZ exhaust stops rumbling =)
Old 10-11-09, 07:28 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I will typically allow the car to warm up for a minute or two before taking off. This is typically the amount of time it takes for me to plug in my cellphone, setup my iPod, or plan my route in the nav. It takes about 5 minutes for the car to reach operating temperatures here in the summer, which is roughly the amount of time it takes me to get to the highway's on ramp. I take it easy until I hit the on-ramp and by then the car is at operating temp, so I can start playing around a bit.
Old 10-11-09, 08:45 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

when the oil bar hits the second bar.. about 5- 10 min
Old 10-11-09, 08:47 PM
eric_r_ho
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wait 'til I find a song through the random playlist in my iPod that matches my mood. Usually about 2 mins.
Old 10-12-09, 12:01 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Maybe 10 seconds. Probably less most of the time. I have 2 miles at 25 mph before I can do anything, so I have lots of time with light load before I even break 30 mph.
Old 10-12-09, 06:30 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

wow its a close poll so far
in this post ive posted some of the reasons stated in the other thread for warming and not warming.
all seem to have merit

i wish we could have a lexus tech or better yet the person who designed our vehicle respond to this, because it seems as tho everyone believes something different and none of us really know what the best method for are car is.

personally i practice all methods, but they cant all be the best method

"myself and evil teo and a few others"
if u wait long enough, I find depending on temp, ur car will change its sound as it drops to 1
Its almost as if the beast is saying shes ready

"micaisf says"
idling a cold engine for > 3 minutes is one of the worst things one can ever do to a nice car. idling is the least efficient way to warm up a car and until warm oil covers all the vital metal parts, your engine is not well protected. you want warm oil to be pumped to all metal parts fast and the best way to get it done is driving your car gently until it warms up. on a side note, idling in general is bad for engines, cold idling is worse.

warming up cars is a myth dating back to pre-1980 when cars had carburetor and would not run well until engine is warm.

"lobuxracer" says
The oil needs to be at operating temperature - at least 82C or 180F. The oil's viscosity below these temperatures pretty much ensures your overstressing your seals and NOT lubricating your engine as you would expect.

Water temp means nothing because the oil temp is what determines the quality of lubrication, not the water temp.

It is foolish to let an engine warm while idling for a lot of reasons. The best thing to do - start the engine, give it 5 to 10 seconds to build oil pressure, then drive and put a LIGHT load on it. Don't exceed 3k rpm on cold cycle. When the second bar is lit, you can rev a little higher 4500 or so, when the third bar is lit, you are in the correct operating zone and you can safely run to red line without starving the engine for oil.
Old 10-12-09, 07:37 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Myth busters.................................
Old 10-12-09, 07:46 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Idling wastes gas and there's no need for it. Driving moderately will warm the engine well enough. Click on the seat warmer for a little comfort.

C.
Old 10-12-09, 08:50 AM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFer
Idling wastes gas and there's no need for it. Driving moderately will warm the engine well enough. Click on the seat warmer for a little comfort.

C.
damn i miss my butt warmer........
Old 10-12-09, 10:06 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

I wait until fast idle stops, then I'm off. I do take it easy for the first few miles however.

Lou
Old 10-12-09, 10:46 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

With todays modern cars there is no reason to "warm up" the car at all. The electronics, computers honestly do it all for you. They dont allow you to push it hard until all the fluids are at the right temps and if the engine is cold it will adjust idle and such to compensate. Waste of gas IMO unless its really cold and you want the climate controls to warm up the cabin and you. My wife still warms up the car before pulling off for a minute or 2 I guess out of habit.
Old 10-12-09, 11:06 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by kickhard
With todays modern cars there is no reason to "warm up" the car at all. The electronics, computers honestly do it all for you. They dont allow you to push it hard until all the fluids are at the right temps and if the engine is cold it will adjust idle and such to compensate. Waste of gas IMO unless its really cold and you want the climate controls to warm up the cabin and you. My wife still warms up the car before pulling off for a minute or 2 I guess out of habit.
That and well, the cabin will 'warm up' faster inside if you're actually going, rather than idling there.
Old 10-12-09, 02:40 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about a minute, because that's how long it takes to turn on sport mode, turn off vsc, plug in iphone to vais, pop the sunroof on tilt/open, and put into manual. it's still about the same time if weather changes things for me to put it into snow mode, turn on seat warmers, turn up heat.
Old 10-14-09, 04:37 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

the poll indicates that we have no real answer
there is too much speculation

does anyone know of an lexus address i can write where we will get a real answer by someone who actually knows the car and information behind it

theres has to be an address where i can get a response from????

Quick Reply: how do u warm up your car?