IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model
View Poll Results: how do u warm up your car? Which way is best?
until it drops below 1
20.90%
only a few seconds/not really at all
46.27%
about a minute
32.84%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

how do u warm up your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 11:35 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fact: Idling doesn't warm up the trany, tires or brakes. Watch F-1 race to see how they warm up the entire car.

Fact: Idling does more harm to the catalytic converters.

Common sense: ease up on the gas pedal after cold start. Slowly accelerate until optimal condition, Oil Temp at 3 bars.

Originally Posted by hahahaf
the poll indicates that we have no real answer
there is too much speculation

does anyone know of an lexus address i can write where we will get a real answer by someone who actually knows the car and information behind it

theres has to be an address where i can get a response from????
Old 10-14-09, 02:38 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

I just set fire to the car and then drive until the fire is put out
Old 10-14-09, 04:58 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Fact: Idling doesn't warm up the trany, tires or brakes. Watch F-1 race to see how they warm up the entire car.

Fact: Idling does more harm to the catalytic converters.

Common sense: ease up on the gas pedal after cold start. Slowly accelerate until optimal condition, Oil Temp at 3 bars.
Idling still gets the fluids moving in the transmission. I don't see how it can harm the catalytic converters. If anything at all you're just polluting more, and harming the environment.
Old 10-14-09, 04:59 PM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hit 8k on idle, jk.
Old 02-21-13, 12:49 PM
amw896
Rookie

I live in southwestern Ontario and the temps drop pretty low here during the winter. One thing I have noticed is that mine sounds like a damn diesel for a while until warmed up - I'd say about until I get close to the middle on the temp gauge. This only happens while accelerating though, my dad's old f150 was similar. The engine sounded really rough when accelerating while cold.

Hopefully this is normal, maybe i should be warming it up longer.....

'09 is 250
Old 02-21-13, 01:04 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I let car idle for about 4-10 minutes before I leave for work and drive exponentially harder as the car warms up and has served me right for years on many of my vehicles. If a car is not warmed up properly cars shift very harsh, clearances are to tight etc. Ofcoarse dependant of situation to low of climate weather etc, there is a point to where you will need to drive the vehicle to not cause excessive wear in warm up.
Old 02-21-13, 04:01 PM
thatnewguy
Driver

My daily commute only gets up to 40 mph. I start it, reverse it down the driveway and take it easy to work. I only get into it on the weekends
Old 02-21-13, 04:06 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

in my factory bmw M handbook, it says to never start and idle the car. its says to start car and drive immediately so the whole car can warm up the same (diff fluid etc).

so usually when the high idle drops, im gone. I know people who rev their car to warm up their car then drive off. Good luck to your valves.
Old 02-21-13, 05:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Valves don't care about cold oil temperature. They hardly get any oil at all, and they're sliding friction anyway. Rod bearings do care about cold oil temps and they will be very unhappy if you starve your oil supply because they depend on continuous oil flow to prevent metal on metal contact.

BMW is right. As soon as your oil pressure light goes out, drive the car and put a light load on the engine to warm things up quickly without damaging anything. Idling is horrible for service life.
Old 02-21-13, 06:03 PM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeah i remember this thread
The conclusion i came to was to start driving after a few seconds
10-15 then just not rev to high or push the care to hard until the temp builds up
I believe this is the best method
Old 02-21-13, 06:10 PM
SPoon22
Pole Position

Thumbs up Hi

Originally Posted by verals05
Once my JoeZ exhaust stops rumbling =)
Ditto!! If its a colder ambient temperature I may wait a bit longer before going on my way.
Old 02-21-13, 06:15 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I will typically allow the car to warm up for a minute or two before taking off. This is typically the amount of time it takes for me to plug in my cellphone, setup my iPod, or plan my route in the nav. It takes about 5 minutes for the car to reach operating temperatures here in the summer, which is roughly the amount of time it takes me to get to the highway's on ramp. I take it easy until I hit the on-ramp and by then the car is at operating temp, so I can start playing around a bit.
I basically do the same thing, but I do not take it over 3,500 rpm until I have two bars on the oil.
Old 02-21-13, 06:39 PM
RCM83
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm interesting I usually let mine warm till it drops below 1k, guess I'll change that now
Old 02-21-13, 07:13 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

I've always waited a few seconds and just eased into driving on the roads. Once the oil temps hit 3 bars, I'll get it on the freeway.
Old 02-21-13, 07:27 PM
GriMan
Pole Position

I warm up my F in the morning for about 3-5 min depending how late i am to work. No less the 3 min tho. When starting to dive, I usually dont drive more than 2k rpm for about a min for the tranny to really warm up. I drive the norm after it throughout the day. It gives me a peace of mind.

Quick Reply: how do u warm up your car?