IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

should I trust these guys?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 09:05 AM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default should I trust these guys?

So I'm due for my first paid oil change.
For a full synthetic oil change my dealer is asking $165.
Valvoline Instant Oil Change is asking $72.99 for all 10 quarts (I asked specifically) with their full synthetic SynPower.

That's similar to the cost of the oil at retail plus the cost of a filter...and I don't have to mess with it.

Should I trust these guys with my F? I'm sure they've done a million IS350s...
Old 10-06-09, 09:25 AM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

i know the instant reply is "because it's better" but why do you want to go synthetic? is it really going to make a difference against what the manufacture recommends? (not trying to fight, i just think lexus should have recommended it if their engineers thought it was better, and want to know the real difference)

i think oil change is an oil change. i've used another non-lexus tire service companies without problems and will probably use a non-lexus but reputable oil change shop to do my oil change also.

besides, i know half the young-ins at the lexus dealerships... it does not mean they are all 100% competent - the last free oil change i went to they asked if i wanted my wheels rotated
Old 10-06-09, 09:49 AM
Low Offset
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you see other high end cars there? If so then yes.
Old 10-06-09, 10:00 AM
PHXF
Driver

Originally Posted by malujerry
i know the instant reply is "because it's better" but why do you want to go synthetic? is it really going to make a difference against what the manufacture recommends? (not trying to fight, i just think lexus should have recommended it if their engineers thought it was better, and want to know the real difference)

i think oil change is an oil change. i've used another non-lexus tire service companies without problems and will probably use a non-lexus but reputable oil change shop to do my oil change also.

besides, i know half the young-ins at the lexus dealerships... it does not mean they are all 100% competent - the last free oil change i went to they asked if i wanted my wheels rotated
Because it is better.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...oil/index.html
Great read, a little long. More power, less wear.
If I was going to keep my F for 50k and trade it, I'd run dino oil no question. But if I'm putting 150k on it and running it in 115 degree heat in phoenix, synthetic makes sense to me.
Old 10-06-09, 11:22 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

a huge part of me says to NOT go with the dealer for the oil change. ive always felt that the less people tinkering with your high expensive ride the better. id rather do my oil change myself, and its more rewarding cuz im takin stock in my own investment. if you're unable to do itself, i say ask for reputable non dealer oil change locations, or better yet, see if a good friend will do it for you who knows how to do an oil change. more likely than not a great friend will do it right cuz he or she is ur buddy. but i dont think lexus hires qualified personnel to do something as simple as an oil change from what ive seen at different dealerships around the so cal area. just my thought though
Old 10-06-09, 11:33 AM
tryama
Rookie

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking, but honestly, changing the oil in the F is not that complicated. I was able to do it on mine with the help of my dad, so if someone has experience with changing oil, it's not like the process is that much different than a "regular" car. So if you're wondering if these guys are "able" to do it, then I would say yes, they should be able to do it no problem. Of course. I wouldn't be able to talk about the quality/workmanship of those guys specifically - but assuming everything goes well and they are competent, there's nothing exceptionally special (exception: oil cap removal tool) about the F oil change.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-09, 11:50 AM
Reciprocal
Driver

Originally Posted by PHXF
Because it is better.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...oil/index.html
Great read, a little long. More power, less wear.
If I was going to keep my F for 50k and trade it, I'd run dino oil no question. But if I'm putting 150k on it and running it in 115 degree heat in phoenix, synthetic makes sense to me.
I've used Mobil 1 synthetics for years, but I think I've been wasting money. I'm not persuaded by the linked article, since it compared synthetics to single grade oils, and also compared 0W-30 to 20W-50. Apples to oranges.

I think it's more important to have frequent oil changes than expensive ones. Porsche recommends Mobil 1 only, and it's the factory fill, but the oil change interval is 15,000 miles. I think it's the same for BMW. I believe Lexus is much safer recommending 5,000 mile changes, without regard to oil brands.
Old 10-06-09, 12:35 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

If you're using synthetic oil, you shouldn't have to change oil as frequently as every 5K miles. That said, I personally believe that synthetic is the better choice for higher reving and high performing engines.
Old 10-06-09, 12:42 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

DO IT, all you ppl driving a $60k car worried about an extra $50 every couple thousand miles!!! Like some of you say, 15k interval for Mobil 1 users, then stretch the oil change on the F till 8-10k interval, it wont hurt the car at all. Yeah, the car doesnt need the Mobil 1 but so what? Most ppl here dont need a 400+ hp car also in our wonderful 55mph highway speed-limited country (ok, some part of the country goes up to 75mph, but stinking city of Philadelphia is still 55mph) This conversation can go on forever, but it all comes to this, if you feel more comfy with synthetic then do it, if you think its a waste then conventional oil for you.
Old 10-06-09, 01:05 PM
F BOMB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever I have this discussion, I refer to aviation. In small planes with reciprocating engines, everyone uses synthetic, per spec.

They use non-synthetic still...for engine break-in after overhaul.

And I think if you talk to anyone that understands the chemistry of lubricants, they will tell you synthetic is designed to be superior, especially in the long run. For today's vehicles, maybe that difference is small. I haven't been to the track yet, I live in the midwest and I haven't done anything "too" illegal. I'm still using old-fashioned at the moment.

It's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra cash. It's no scam, though.
Old 10-06-09, 01:25 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Some may find this interesting. Here are two baseline dyno's of mine that I have overlaid. Could it be possible the conventional oil that Lexus uses works better than the Mobil 1? I'm due for another oil change in a few hundred miles and I'm considering refilling it with conventional. Car is bone stock for both of these runs. Just speculating here.

Run 004 was on 11/1/08 (Factory Fill oil)
Run 014 was on 4/15/09 (Mobil 1 5w30)

Old 10-06-09, 01:40 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I switched from regular oil to Mobil 1 I felt my car very different, it revved happier and felt healthier. As IS-Fly168 said, if you drive a $60K with 400+ HP in 55 MPH highways, why wouldn't you pay the extra $$$ for better oil?
Old 10-06-09, 03:15 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
DO IT, all you ppl driving a $60k car worried about an extra $50 every couple thousand miles!!! Like some of you say, 15k interval for Mobil 1 users, then stretch the oil change on the F till 8-10k interval, it wont hurt the car at all. Yeah, the car doesnt need the Mobil 1 but so what? Most ppl here dont need a 400+ hp car also in our wonderful 55mph highway speed-limited country (ok, some part of the country goes up to 75mph, but stinking city of Philadelphia is still 55mph) This conversation can go on forever, but it all comes to this, if you feel more comfy with synthetic then do it, if you think its a waste then conventional oil for you.
Originally Posted by Juanca
When I switched from regular oil to Mobil 1 I felt my car very different, it revved happier and felt healthier. As IS-Fly168 said, if you drive a $60K with 400+ HP in 55 MPH highways, why wouldn't you pay the extra $$$ for better oil?
wait, wait, wait... from my side - i wasn't concerned about the money. i was just asking if synthetic is worth it. i know in theory that synthetic is better, but does this actually translate to real world usability? are there many independent proofs like: dyno's or race times or engine longevity studies showing that either oil makes a difference? (besides the two posted)

and more importantly, i thought the OP was asking if it matter where you did your oil change. i personally say just go a reputable shop, especially if you see nice cars outside like another person posted...

for example...

i personally curbed my rims twice and had a local shop fix it. it looks like a hole in the wall and the owner looks like howard stern in sweats, but always had nice cars outside with repeat customers. guess what, they fixed my rims flawlessly! on top of that satisfaction, an owner of a maserati was talking about how bad *** the ISF is and how he lost to one to a group of guys standing around when i walked up to pick up the car!
Old 10-06-09, 03:28 PM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

i personally dont goto dealer for oil change...
i just buy all the parts including oil and get someone to do it paying like $20 labor..
it ends up being cheaper then dealer.. cost if you do this is around $110.
I use Greddy or Motul or whatever i feel like or easier to get..
Its oil change.. nothing can really go wrong if you see the right oil is going into ur engine...
Old 10-06-09, 04:21 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the dealer do the oil change but I purchase two 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 0w30 just before I go over to the dealer. He installs it along with the filter and the total deal is just under $100. Yes I think synthetic is better and, yes, I may be a victim of slick marketing but who cares!!!

Quick Reply: should I trust these guys?