IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Alcantara steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-10, 01:16 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks great, know if they can replace the F logo at the bottom of the wheel?
Old 05-15-10, 02:53 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Looks good but alcantara is terrible in the long run.
Old 05-15-10, 02:54 PM
Wierdazndu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
+juan. Its gonna looook weeeird
Old 05-15-10, 03:25 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
It depends on the color and quality of the Alcantara you buy. I've had my Alcantara wheel (with the Alcantara on the heavily used parts of the wheel) for over a year and it still looks as new as the first day I installed it.

Javier
Old 05-26-10, 01:24 AM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

by the way, if anyone here goes to taipei often, you can get this done at http://www.johnleather.com/contact_us.php for approx 150 usd... just called to get a quote. they also do cf wrapping etc for much cheaper than whats usually charged in the states.
Old 05-26-10, 04:33 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
It depends on the color and quality of the Alcantara you buy. I've had my Alcantara wheel (with the Alcantara on the heavily used parts of the wheel) for over a year and it still looks as new as the first day I installed it.

Javier
what color do you have javy? i remember i had a bmw with an oem alcantara wheel and no matter how careful i was with it, after 4 years it was a mess
Old 05-26-10, 05:54 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

The Alcantara on my wheel is black. I was going to do red Alcantara, but my installer warned me about how poorly that color wears - so I did the red sections of my wheel with perforated leather instead.

Javier
Old 05-26-10, 07:19 PM
PVlexus
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewshu3
by the way, if anyone here goes to taipei often, you can get this done at http://www.johnleather.com/contact_us.php for approx 150 usd... just called to get a quote. they also do cf wrapping etc for much cheaper than whats usually charged in the states.
Which wheel is 150? I saw a few different wheels including the leather and carbon fiber and the Alcantara. Thanks.
Old 05-27-10, 01:41 AM
andrewshu3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the 150 quote is for them to wrap your steering wheel in alcantara like the OP. vs the quote that JPM gave which was 425 usd...
Old 05-27-10, 10:41 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

JPM has a good eye for this type of work. They are quite well known in the s2000 arena and they did my s2000 interior on my Rio s2000 as well.

I love the suede steering wheel but if you guys are going to get this done, why not have the thickness increased so it feels more like the e92 m3 wheel? That is the most perfect steering wheel ever!

I believe JPM is located in Georgia so lucky for those who are local to him. Not many interior guys out here on the west coast.
Old 05-27-10, 12:48 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Rick - I agree completely and that's exactly what I did when I had my wheel done. I had my installer thicken the wheel some, and it's noticeably thicker in my hands.

Javier
Old 05-27-10, 06:02 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by javyLSU

Javier
When my brother had his 330ci it had the OEM steering wheel, so the quality was there. After a bit it got really weird looking.
I thought you had an IS350?! Why is there an F gauge and F CF panels?!
Old 05-27-10, 06:57 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Javy has had them in his IS350 for a long time. how did you miss this??

What did they use to build up your steering wheel Javy?
Old 06-06-10, 06:22 PM
LexFather

Alcantara steering wheel

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ing-wheel.html

Originally Posted by timeToy
Update on page 2!

I just received a picture of my Alcantara steering wheel, it just has been completed and is shipping right now, I should be receiving it early next week. I will get it installed asap and shower you guys with pictures! In the meantime enjoy this teaser:

Update!
Old 01-12-12, 08:17 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm considering having JPM do this to my steering wheel.... (I love the CTS-V's steering wheel feel) but am concerned about some comments regarding long term wear/issues with the alcantera..... Does anybody have updates on the "wear" of their alcantera modified steering wheels or can offer experience with cars with similiar alcantera steering wheels...? it seems the alcantera on the BMW's did not hold up well from comments above... does anybody know if they didn't use ACTUAL AUTHENTIC ALCANTERA and used a cheaper but similiar alternative... (Looking at JPM's website, apparently there is a "difference" in genuine real ALCANTERA vs. knock off... )

I was thinking of using the black alcantera for the same area of the orig. perf leather, and then using perforated blue alcantera in the area of the orig blue solid leather.... (it was asked above, but does anybody know for sure, if the "F" logo could be removed/replaced (and still look good) over the new alcantera covering?)

Quick Reply: Alcantara steering wheel