IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

So... Would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-09, 09:12 PM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking So... Would you do it again?

I have been asked this question several times in relation to my purchasing of this car. And I have to say I'm really not sure... I like the way it looks, but I don't love the looks (though I do LOVE the USB color). I actually think other people think it looks better than I do because I am ALWAYS getting compliments and questions on the car. Handling on the car is so so, but not a bad compromise for a vehicle that seats 4. Ride, let's be honest... it sucks... Pennsylvania has some of the worst roads in the nation and this car exploits every road imperfection it crosses over. Engine, I LOVE the engine! With the K&N added the song it sings is addicting! Fuel mileage on the highway has been about 32mpg @ 65 to 70 mph cruising with the A/C on at 80-85 still gets 27 mpg Now that an amazing performance, and no doubt a direct result of having a 8 speed trans. Now to my least favorite part of the car, the transmission. I have NEVER driven a vehicle that shifted this much in my life! Come on Lexus it there REALLY a need for 8 gears except to say you have 8 and everybody else has only 6 or 7... I agree that it results in great fuel mileage, and thats great, give me a gear that only is in use on the highway, but the slightest grade (remember Pennsylvania is one giant mountain) causes non stop shifting of the transmission. I honestly think 5 normal gears + and over drive could have yielded much the same results. Don't believe me look no farther than the NorthStar Caddy's, those things would regularly get 30mpg on the highway and they were only 4 speeds, and weighed 800 more pounds. Interior of the vehicle is Awesome love the gages and dash layout. Not so much in love with the fact that I have to go through the nav screen which ALWAYS defaults to the map setting every time the car is switched off I prefer independent *****. Just my 2 cents, Now "What say You"?
Old 09-15-09, 10:13 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Yes..

- Coilovers will transform your ride...

- You can modify the Nav screen setting. When I turn the car OFF in Radio Mode, its right back to Radio Mode when I turn it back ON..

Make sure you have the correct setting selected in Screen Options..
(Shown in my Below attached picture File)

The extra "Blue & Red" lights from time to time, has lived up to this...

Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails So... Would you do it again?-0916090558a.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-16-09 at 08:54 AM. Reason: added nav screen shot
Old 09-15-09, 10:36 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

damn .... the IS-F looks GREAT in MRM! Best color for 2IS
Old 09-15-09, 11:15 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my F, but probably will not buy any future IS-F. I mean it's a little odd because it's too small to fit a full family (like an M5 or Cayenne turbo) and doesn't feel like a true sports car (like the GT-R or Corvette)... But for now - this is the PERFECT middle between those two classes of vehicles.

It will be a different story (for me and a future Lexus F purchase) if there will really be a GS-F, or even RX-F?!?!
Old 09-15-09, 11:22 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

well, if BMW can pull off a X5M and X6M ... anything is possible Even a RX-F
Old 09-15-09, 11:35 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
well, if BMW can pull off a X5M and X6M ... anything is possible Even a RX-F
it's amazing how these german auto's make great vehicles, some of which can stop on their own - but don't come close to japanese auto reliability... it was the biggest factor when choosing the F over the M, beside the bloated costly options that should be standard on luxury vehicles.
Old 09-15-09, 11:52 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by malujerry
it's amazing how these german auto's make great vehicles, some of which can stop on their own - but don't come close to japanese auto reliability... it was the biggest factor when choosing the F over the M, beside the bloated costly options that should be standard on luxury vehicles.
Yeah. When I was cross shopping the IS250 and 3 series, I was amazed on how much was NOT standard on the 3 while still costing MORE than the IS...

Just to start, the BMW did not have HIDs, 6CD, or Heated/cooled seats. All of which are standard on a "base model" IS in california.
Old 09-16-09, 03:42 AM
hahahaf
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

id do it over and over again, i love my f, sure its not the smoothest, but it could be
and 8 gears is where i hear everyone is going
my car looks MEANsexy
a vary good combo for a vehicle
Old 09-16-09, 06:09 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

3 words - IN A HEARTBEAT

LOU
Old 09-16-09, 06:29 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Ummm. YUP
Ive started to drive my F a bit more lately and it has improved on its initial impression. I never plan to sell it so its going to be a daily for a very long time.

My favorite thing about the car is that in my area an ISF isnt much... I get complements here and there, but its not really an every day occurrence outside of my college campus. I like this because i can just fly under the radar in a car that I absolutely love without attracting too much attention.

On the 8 speed issue : http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...-transmissions
Old 09-16-09, 07:00 AM
ISF FAN
Pole Position

Would buy it again. All of the positives mentioned previously applies, especially on the expectation of reliability. I've even gotten used to the ride quality...now that's the norm for me.
Old 09-16-09, 07:45 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For the money I think the IS-F is best car. The GT-R would be my next choice [up]. Then a Ferrari. Then a Zonda.
Old 09-16-09, 07:59 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ming15237
I have been asked this question several times in relation to my purchasing of this car. And I have to say I'm really not sure... I like the way it looks, but I don't love the looks (though I do LOVE the USB color). I actually think other people think it looks better than I do because I am ALWAYS getting compliments and questions on the car. Handling on the car is so so, but not a bad compromise for a vehicle that seats 4. Ride, let's be honest... it sucks... Pennsylvania has some of the worst roads in the nation and this car exploits every road imperfection it crosses over. Engine, I LOVE the engine! With the K&N added the song it sings is addicting! Fuel mileage on the highway has been about 32mpg @ 65 to 70 mph cruising with the A/C on at 80-85 still gets 27 mpg Now that an amazing performance, and no doubt a direct result of having a 8 speed trans. Now to my least favorite part of the car, the transmission. I have NEVER driven a vehicle that shifted this much in my life! Come on Lexus it there REALLY a need for 8 gears except to say you have 8 and everybody else has only 6 or 7... I agree that it results in great fuel mileage, and thats great, give me a gear that only is in use on the highway, but the slightest grade (remember Pennsylvania is one giant mountain) causes non stop shifting of the transmission. I honestly think 5 normal gears + and over drive could have yielded much the same results. Don't believe me look no farther than the NorthStar Caddy's, those things would regularly get 30mpg on the highway and they were only 4 speeds, and weighed 800 more pounds. Interior of the vehicle is Awesome love the gages and dash layout. Not so much in love with the fact that I have to go through the nav screen which ALWAYS defaults to the map setting every time the car is switched off I prefer independent *****. Just my 2 cents, Now "What say You"?

Absolutely no regrets here. Would do it again in a heartbeat.
I too would like to see its weight trimmed but would hate to lose any lux features.
So it's fine just the way it is -- especially with the 8-speed.

C.
Old 09-16-09, 10:13 AM
jaslapp1
Pit Crew

I love my F and would do it all over again. Sure its not the fastest or most comfortable but thats why I have a highlander for comfort and an sc with a 2jzgte swap and way too many mods to list that will give a gtr a real *** whopping haha. All in all I thinnk its one of the best bang for your buck out there cars. Not to mention it is unique.
Old 09-16-09, 01:20 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

I adore the IS-F. Its a Super sedan.

But yet you and some others speck of the car like its so so....l've seen people talk more highly of a ALTIMA which has no where the looks are performance of the F....

Some people dont understand what they have.....oh well ones man garbage another mans treasure!

Who ever feel their IS-F is not good enough send it to me! I will cherish it like gold.

Quick Reply: So... Would you do it again?