IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Oil burning.. Low oil level

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-09, 02:03 AM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil burning.. Low oil level

Ok guys, tonight i was warned that my oil level is low. Question, i had the oil changed 3k miles ago and 2k to go but i just checked it and alarming my dipstick shows LOW or (bottom dot). at this point its late so i have no oil to put in it but i am guessing 3-4 quarts to get it back to full? Please chime in if you have some answers.. 25k on the car and this is the first time this has happened.
Old 09-07-09, 02:09 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

On my car it never burns oil...

Oh, sorry mine is just an is F-ake....
Old 09-07-09, 04:33 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With 25k on the car, it's still under warranty, take it to the dealer, there's something wrong ! Who did the last oil change?? Good Luck
Old 09-07-09, 09:10 AM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

dealer.....
Old 09-07-09, 09:13 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who did your last oil change? Are you sure they put 10 qt. in it?

I took my car for oil change last week, 20K miles, and the guy doing the oil change said that the oil was black. Level was OK, and on my previous oil change I used Mobil 1 (same as this time) at 15K. I guess the hot Miami summer made it turn black.
Old 09-07-09, 09:21 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisburke
dealer.....
Sounds like they put way less than 10qts of oil..

I just did my own oil a few weeks ago and after the refill with 10 qts, my oil level was right on the second dot.

Just check it again and its still there.

I doubt your motor burned up that much oil.

Joe Z
Old 09-07-09, 09:30 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

I guess this is what happens when you depend on the Stealer-ship, to much..
Old 09-07-09, 12:00 PM
chrisburke
Lead Lap

ok... i filled the oil up. it was about 1.5 quarts low and well as per the owners manual they state that under extreme use the car will burn 1.1 qts every 600 miles. and well several canyon runs and track events i would consider that extreme. but Mobil one is going in next week.
Old 09-07-09, 12:50 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrisburke
ok... i filled the oil up. it was about 1.5 quarts low and well as per the owners manual they state that under extreme use the car will burn 1.1 qts every 600 miles. and well several canyon runs and track events i would consider that extreme. but Mobil one is going in next week.
It's more likely they didn't put enough oil in at the last change. If you were to burn that much oil, you'd see blue clouds of smoke from the exhaust.

Check the details on the bill. It should say how much oil they put in. It won't confirm what they actually did but it might give some clue.
Next time check the oil level after getting service. You can't be too careful.

You might consider doing the changes yourself. It doesn't take much knowhow or tools and can be quite rewarding in more than one way.

Colin.
Old 09-07-09, 11:35 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It calls Pride and Workmanship, which totally lacks now a day. I need to take my back to drain out some excess (1/2-in above high dot).

Hypethetically speaking, do you know how difficult it is to get warranty work on the engine related-issue but dealer has no record of your oil maint history in its data base, even though you DIY regularly?

Originally Posted by t0e
I guess this is what happens when you depend on the Stealer-ship, to much..
Old 09-08-09, 12:51 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

It would be a shame, if the dealer would hold an "Engine" problem against you, if you have no history of getting "rap3d" by them. Where does it say on the warranty contract that they wont cover you, on the basis of never coming in for an oil change?

Oh and trust me, I know people who take their car to the dealer regularly, and still have issue's getting warranty work done. So I understand what you are saying--however, I think the dealer will always hassle you, when they have to cover the cost of work.

Unless the issue directly has to deal with the engine freezing over because of no-oil, I find it really hard to believe that they could blame an engine failure on lack of "Dealer" service. But, once again the dealer always wants to make money and not loose.

Its a business....I know...
Old 09-08-09, 07:32 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was replacing my rearview mirror (LSB on another thread) the tech rep was "complaining" about not having records of me going for service in the past 10K miles, I told him that their charges are way too expensive for what needs to be done, and that I was doing it myself buying original parts (filters) directly from their parts department.

They will always complain, but they have no right to deny warranty based on not doing services with them.
Old 09-08-09, 10:09 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

My car burned oil at my track weekend. I didn't check it on Saturday morning, but I did check it Sunday morning after about 2 hours at speed. It was nearly a quart low. I expected it, and it's normal for an engine run hard for extended periods.

AFA documentation - that's why I get Blackstone analysis on my oil. I have every change documented and lab results indicating the quality of the oil at the time it was changed. No way Lexus could argue one word about lack of maintenance.
Old 09-08-09, 10:52 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Well there you go....

After track events or driving hard for extended periods, be sure to check your oil levels the next today to properly top off the engine oil..

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 09-08-09 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-18-10, 03:00 PM
dsg03svt
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I realize this thread is old but I experienced the same thing today and had to put in a quart. I have about 4k into this oil (21k miles total) and I've been to the drag strip and it's been ran fairly hard on the street a few times so I assume this is to be expected...

Anyone else experience this lately with theirs? Should I be more concerned?

Quick Reply: Oil burning.. Low oil level