See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

The $200 IS-F Exhaust Mod

Old 02-09-15, 02:59 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a video of my car with the modified exhaust. I reduced the drone significantly by attaching the weight that was on the muffler on the street side to the straight pipe with an exhaust clamp. I also added a little bit of sound deadening; it sound awesome and the car is really quite when cruising around town. I love it

Old 02-09-15, 08:02 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by juanmedina
here is a video of my car with the modified exhaust. I reduced the drone significantly by attaching the weight that was on the muffler on the street side to the straight pipe with an exhaust clamp. I also added a little bit of sound deadening; it sound awesome and the car is really quite when cruising around town. I love it
can you explain better?
Old 05-01-15, 08:57 PM
neweyslex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by juanmedina

http://youtu.be/mGhfuTi8a-A
Yes, please explain this a little further.
Old 05-03-15, 09:51 AM
Jowett
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It's an exhaust damper weight, it prevents resonance/drone at a particular frequency.
Old 05-05-15, 06:18 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jowett
It's an exhaust damper weight, it prevents resonance/drone at a particular frequency.
If you look at the stock exhaust you will see that there is weight attached to the muffler on the driver side. You can see that the driver side pipe length is also longer; therefore there is more resonance than on the passenger side. To help with that annoying frequency Lexus added a damper weight.

What I did was removed the weight from the stock muffler and I attached to my straight pipe using a muffler clamp. I also added Home Depot sound deadening under the head shields and wrapped some heat wrap only on the driver side pipe. It seems that wrapping pipes also help resonance.

I been running this setup for maybe 3 months and I kill the drone completely at 2000rpm. It sounds awesome and even my wife likes it. Best mod I ever done, no drone

Old 05-05-15, 09:08 PM
neweyslex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got it. Thank you. Very clever by the way.. What is the brand of the Home Depot sound deadening material?
Old 05-06-15, 10:40 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I always thought that weight thing was to stop the exhaust from hitting the underside of the car.
Old 05-06-15, 11:30 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

wow, had no freakin idea what that weight was even for! haha
Old 05-06-15, 03:37 PM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by neweyslex
Got it. Thank you. Very clever by the way.. What is the brand of the Home Depot sound deadening material?
This is the stuff that I got. I was a little worried about the melting temperature but is high enough to not be an issue with straight pipes. The is no odor inside the car since I installed the Peel & Seal outside the car and a little bit on the truck area. I only used like 1/4 of the roll.

Last edited by juanmedina; 05-06-15 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-07-15, 04:14 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

When you guys had this done (straight pipe the second set of cats), did they have to pull the exhaust off the car?

The places that I would go to are small independent Mexican immigrant owned, and I really would not like to have them pulling the rear 02 sensors off to do their work, but not sure how they would weld in a pipe without pulling the exhaust off the car.
Old 05-08-15, 09:16 AM
cremaster
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
When you guys had this done (straight pipe the second set of cats), did they have to pull the exhaust off the car?

The places that I would go to are small independent Mexican immigrant owned, and I really would not like to have them pulling the rear 02 sensors off to do their work, but not sure how they would weld in a pipe without pulling the exhaust off the car.
when i switched out my borla for my current set up, i had the OEM y-pipe installed first. from there my exhaust shop cut off the oem middle resonator, then welded on a fabricated smaller y-pipe, the hanger, then the straight pipes and rear hangers, all while the whole thing was on the car. also when i had my middle resonator removed from my previous borla, the exhaust shop just hacked it off while the entire system remained on the car. so, i don't think your shop will need to remove the entire thing.
Old 05-12-15, 05:35 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

I went today and had my secondary cats removed...Cost me $80 bucks.

I made them spray the welds with hi temp paint as well to avoid rust, as I drive through snow/salt.

I will say the car seems to pull harder in the upper rev range, but it could all be in my head.

For 80 bux, whatever....maybe in the future when we have a good way of spoofing the rear 02 sensors, I'll clear out on front cats too.

I kept the mufflers, as the car is my daily driver.
Old 05-14-15, 06:46 AM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^Any sound difference misterskiz?
Old 05-14-15, 07:20 AM
juanmedina
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
I went today and had my secondary cats removed...Cost me $80 bucks.

I made them spray the welds with hi temp paint as well to avoid rust, as I drive through snow/salt.

I will say the car seems to pull harder in the upper rev range, but it could all be in my head.

For 80 bux, whatever....maybe in the future when we have a good way of spoofing the rear 02 sensors, I'll clear out on front cats too.

I kept the mufflers, as the car is my daily driver.
I dd my car and I have no muffler there car is actually really tame. In my opinion it sounds almost like stock while cruising, I didn't have adjust my radio volume because it is probably only a few DB louder. My wife hates loud exhaust and she cannot believe how quite my car is without mufflers.
Old 05-14-15, 04:33 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by VtotheJ
^Any sound difference misterskiz?
I didn't notice any, however my neighbor who is a car guy asked me if I did something different because he said my car sounded meaner on cold starts.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The $200 IS-F Exhaust Mod