IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

JoeZ Exhaust System + Blitz Throttle Controller REVIEW + Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 08:54 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OP are you in socal or norcal? Just curious as I'm keeping tabs on all the norcal guys

Nice mods and pictures to document! Who cares about 1/4 mile times as long as you like the mods. Personally I prefer just to keep everything OEM for now.

Love my JoeZ exhaust and BC coils combo - car is perfect the way it comes from factory (my 2 cents)

rick
Old 08-17-09, 10:46 AM
ahlailai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
I don't think it's used to increased your 1/4 mile. I'm pretty sure it's just for the response of the throttle to the driver.

And back to my original question, so it's only in reverse that this unit can mess with your tranny? Sure it's not aggressive driving thats going to do it?
from what i heard.. i think its just the reverse that kills it.
i doubt that its aggressive driving because all it does is just open your throttle body earlier.. in essence, its like stepping on the gas all the way all the time..
Old 08-17-09, 10:51 AM
ahlailai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Supraman16
I've been reading all these great reviews of the Blitz Throttle Controller but still hesitant to get one because I'm not sure how much stress it's adding to the tranny from shifting so fast. We'll see, I may still cave and get it because it sounds pretty fun!...Darshana S...
i dont think the tranny is actually shifting faster electronically/ as i think that is still controlled by the car and there is no easy way to bypass it.

i just think that allowing the throttle body to open faster, makes the car feel its easier to shift faster.. either that or it just feels that its faster and maybe its just the same.

in a MT car, you determine how fast of a shift you get, yet the throttle controller still makes a difference and it feels as your car is shifting better / faster just simply because of the response it gives.

im not sure but thats just my lucky guess.. man i hope there isnt any added stress on the tranny.

we shall seee...
Old 08-17-09, 10:54 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ahlailai
from what i heard.. i think its just the reverse that kills it.
i doubt that its aggressive driving because all it does is just open your throttle body earlier.. in essence, its like stepping on the gas all the way all the time..
Got it. But really guys does this car needa be any faster? When I'm in sport and M mode the car rips. I just discovered it's true peak is in the higher rpms.
Old 08-17-09, 01:29 PM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

I have the blitz throttle controller in my car and its amazing, I was on the highway last night on sp2 it went from 8th to 3rd in an instant. I cant drive this car anymore without turning on the blitz.. Its weird, I turn it on instantly every day and back out of my driveway, never had any weird thing happen to it yet. This is actually the first time I heard of the reverse problem I had this for a month now. As a matter of fact, I just brought my F in for service last week and the dealer didnt say anything to me at all about my Blitz or my K and N intake. Lexus of Edison have AAA+++ service in New Jersey.
Old 06-13-10, 03:17 PM
weaponX
Driver School Candidate

OK, I'm going to make two safe assumptions here.

One, there's a significant number of F-owners out there who have the Blitz/Tom's controller installed on their vehicles.

Two, since I haven't come across a thread that reads:

"I blew my tranny to smitherins after I Installed Blitz controller"
or

"I thought the $25 reverse canceller was excessive, skipped it, and my tranny went kaput"
or

"I got carried away with the Blitz controller and my tranny went to heaven"

This means that this is a must-have super-duper device that has no adverse effect on the transmission whatsoever. In other words, if I install this on my vehicle the legendary Lexus reliability is preserved and it won't start acting like a Benz or Bimmer just immediately after the warranty expires.
Old 06-13-10, 07:11 PM
hydralisk
Driver

the risk/return on this blitz controller is interesting to say the least.
Old 06-13-10, 08:53 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by weaponX
OK, I'm going to make two safe assumptions here.

One, there's a significant number of F-owners out there who have the Blitz/Tom's controller installed on their vehicles.

Two, since I haven't come across a thread that reads:

"I blew my tranny to smitherins after I Installed Blitz controller"
or

"I thought the $25 reverse canceller was excessive, skipped it, and my tranny went kaput"
or

"I got carried away with the Blitz controller and my tranny went to heaven"

This means that this is a must-have super-duper device that has no adverse effect on the transmission whatsoever. In other words, if I install this on my vehicle the legendary Lexus reliability is preserved and it won't start acting like a Benz or Bimmer just immediately after the warranty expires.
The controller is only telling the TPS that your foot is pressing on the pedal harder than it is. In a nutshell you can send your transmission to heaven just as fast by pressing the accelerator harder/driving faster. Prudence and good judgement will help maintain the life of your transmission.

The reverse canceller is not necessary since you can disable the unit buy shutting it off and save yourself the extra wiring needed to install it. I have the Blitz unit on my car and manage to back out of my garage everyday without the car hurtling out of control onto my street .

I like the extra response you get with it without burying my foot in the carpet when I want the car to accelerate and I don't drive my car without. FWIW I drive my car on the SP1 setting.
Old 06-14-10, 08:54 PM
SERGIO ISF
Driver School Candidate

I simply can not drive my ISF anymore if its not on sport mode and with Toms
Throttle controller on! ( Sport 1 all the time and Sport 2...lately )
Sergio ISF
Joe Z intake, exhaust & carbon fiber tips ( amazing ), Toms air filter & throttle controller, Sikky Headers ( coming soon )
Old 06-14-10, 09:40 PM
gs2isf
Lead Lap

^^^^^^^^^^ME TOO
Old 06-14-10, 09:50 PM
fleadog99
Lexus Test Driver

I just installed the tom's last week, what a difference. Since owning an IS250 before the F. I automatically turn on sport mode. It's like a natural response. Now I auto put on sport mode plus SP2. IF I know I am going to be driving on the toll way or highway, I put it on SP3. It's nice to get that throttle delay out of there when you need to punch it. Can't wait for my ISS exhaust to get in, will be even more aggressive.

K&N typhoon intake + Tom's LTS + ISS forged will be fun. (headers to come).
Old 06-15-10, 06:14 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by clifftrail
The whole point of this mod is to make the car respond quicker which should result in a better 1/4 time.
Its moreso to increase throttle sensitivity, so the same amount of pressure applied to the pedal results in more speed. You're not going to be in as many partial throttle situations in the 1/4th, as you are in daily driving.

So IMO, if you spend 300+ for a throttle controller that only adds more buttons but doesn't make it quicker, why bother when you already have buttons to push?
They do it for the feel. Some people also prefer very grabby brakes, as opposed to ones which are easier to modulate. Some people prefer heavier steering as opposed to lighter assisted steering, or different amounts of effort to operate a clutch. Its all debatable, but to each their own.
Old 06-15-10, 06:30 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Damn it JoeZ! Now you add the badge?! LOL
Old 06-15-10, 07:13 AM
weaponX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the feedback on the Tom's/Blitz!

You can understand if some are a little reluctant to mess around with any wiring, especially on a new car.

I have to agree that the first few inches of pedal travel (sport mode) is a little...uhhmm...subdued.

Increasing the throttle reaction will definitely make things more entertaining.

I just don't want to know the answer to...if this may actually void the warranty?!
Old 06-15-10, 08:40 AM
sweetbird
Pole Position

How hard is it to install the blitz ?

Quick Reply: JoeZ Exhaust System + Blitz Throttle Controller REVIEW + Pics!