IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Blacked out door trim

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 12:43 PM
Wakemaker8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptAwsm
I'd imagine it'd work fine, just the overspray might be hard to control.. plus a ton of taping. Theres local shops by me that professionally put the 3m tape on very cleanly. Thats what I am considering because the tape didn't come out perfect for me when I tried twice at home.

I just helped my buddy plasti-dip his bumpers and grill on his FJ cruiser.. Huge sections of painted plastic he covered and its held up great this last month. My chrome grill has last 1.5 years with plasti-dip, so I don't think holding on to the chrome would be a problem!
Overspray won't be an issue, just use newspaper and tape away! Plus I'm in an obsidian F so even if it does overspray a little, it will be very hard to find may have to do this when I get time after the holiday weekend.
Old 11-12-12, 04:14 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Galaxy 40
This is how I did the curve...its the best that I can do.
Hi just to clarify how did you do the curve.

I have two pictures below to try and help out:

Now did you run the trim to where the red line is below? and then started a new trim?

Or did you use 1 piece to cover the whole curve as highlighted below?

I'm having difficulty figuring out how you did it.
Old 11-12-12, 05:50 AM
Boma
Lead Lap

^^^ it is actually possible to use one piece to cover the whole curve. It will require you to stretch the tape a little. Make sure you use a heat gun or blow dryer to help out as the tape will be a lot more flexible when it is warmed up.
Old 11-13-12, 01:46 AM
Defratos
Racer

^ Thanks for the info, but I'm wondering which way did Galaxy do his? as there are no lines visable in the pic
Old 11-13-12, 04:25 AM
J2K
Pole Position

I just used one continuous piece of the 3M on the back window trim. It doesn't require a heat gun or a blow dryer. The 3M tape is very pliable and can be molded to fit around the large curve in the trim with just a little patience. With two rolls of the tape you will have plenty of extra if you need to trash a piece or two and try again.
Old 11-13-12, 04:31 AM
Defratos
Racer

Thanks for the help, I'm guessing the 3M tape you used is the same as this ---> http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...tline-kit.html

Also do you by any chance have a picture of your car after blacking out the window surrounds?

Also just noticed that Galaxy probably did the curve like below, I believe using a small piece on the curve and connecting it up with the rest of the trim:

Last edited by Defratos; 11-13-12 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-13-12, 04:53 AM
J2K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Defratos
Thanks for the help, I'm guessing the 3M tape you used is the same as this ---> http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...tline-kit.html

Also do you by any chance have a picture of your car after blacking out the window surrounds?

Also just noticed that Galaxy probably did the curve like below, I believe using a small piece on the curve and connecting it up with the rest of the trim:

Yeah. I used the Gen 1 Mini 3M tape from there. I don't have a pic at work that I can upload, but I'll try to take one later today. The large curve on the trim looks exactly like the pic above though.
Old 11-14-12, 04:37 AM
mdsbrain
Lead Lap

To save 5% for the month of November at Outmotoring.com use the code Leather. :-)
Old 11-19-12, 02:19 AM
Defratos
Racer

Originally Posted by J2K
Yeah. I used the Gen 1 Mini 3M tape from there. I don't have a pic at work that I can upload, but I'll try to take one later today. The large curve on the trim looks exactly like the pic above though.
Thanks for the clarification
Old 12-21-14, 08:04 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Resurrecting another oldie but goodie here...my question is that it appears the kit everyone was referencing is now available in a glossy finish as well. I'm curious to those that did this mod, specifically using this kit, how the results held up over time and if anyone opt'd for the Gloss finish over the Matte and if so how'd it turn out?

If there are any other alternative methods that people used and had good results with (i.e. Plasti-Dip was mentioned) it would be nice to hear about those and see pics as well

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...tline-kit.html
Old 12-22-14, 12:33 PM
LO 21
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BieberNutz
Resurrecting another oldie but goodie here...my question is that it appears the kit everyone was referencing is now available in a glossy finish as well. I'm curious to those that did this mod, specifically using this kit, how the results held up over time and if anyone opt'd for the Gloss finish over the Matte and if so how'd it turn out?

If there are any other alternative methods that people used and had good results with (i.e. Plasti-Dip was mentioned) it would be nice to hear about those and see pics as well

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...tline-kit.html
Wow. Blast from the past.

2 years later, still on there like new.

Mine is the matte. Blends very well with its surroundings as if it were OEM. I wouldn't have done it in gloss even if that had been an option back then.

I didn't remember which set of tape I had bought, but I just looked back at the old posts. Gen 1 Mini, 2 rolls of tape

Good luck!
Old 12-22-14, 10:02 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LO 21
Wow. Blast from the past.

2 years later, still on there like new.

Mine is the matte. Blends very well with its surroundings as if it were OEM. I wouldn't have done it in gloss even if that had been an option back then.

I didn't remember which set of tape I had bought, but I just looked back at the old posts. Gen 1 Mini, 2 rolls of tape

Good luck!
Awesome! Glad to hear it's held up so well and I appreciate the feedback & response Will likely be holding off until just before summer (if/when I finally get the windows tinted) to do this but it's good information to know/have. Plus it's nice for anyone else that's interested to have the information as well. Definitely appreciate it.