IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weight Reduction ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-15, 07:45 AM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

^ correct, I switched to the 21lb Braille, turned out pretty sweet no issues at all.

Old 05-06-15, 02:46 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Subscribed..
Old 07-10-15, 10:07 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Just weighed the stock front passenger seat (69 lbs with the mounting covers) vs my corbeau lg1 with planted brackets (39 lbs). I still need to mod the driver seat bracket to be able to use the sliders, mounting holes are positioned fine but the slider mechanism sitting a top the seat bracket (remedy is the good plasma cutter!) I'll weigh the driver seat when I get it done for sure. I also ordered enough resistors to turn off my air bag light after installing the works bell paddle shift neo/ MOMO drifter wheel (another few lbs lost, didn't weight them both but that dual squib airbag is a brick). Sadly I'll be adding more weight over the winter with over fenders but offsetting with other lighter weight (hopefully) parts such as seibon front fenders and trunk lid and lighter suspension parts.

Last edited by Justind27; 07-10-15 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 02:50 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool. Its all about lots of little reduction where you can
Old 07-11-15, 04:52 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Justind27
Just weighed the stock front passenger seat (69 lbs with the mounting covers) vs my corbeau lg1 with planted brackets (39 lbs). I still need to mod the driver seat bracket to be able to use the sliders, mounting holes are positioned fine but the slider mechanism sitting a top the seat bracket (remedy is the good plasma cutter!) I'll weigh the driver seat when I get it done for sure. I also ordered enough resistors to turn off my air bag light after installing the works bell paddle shift neo/ MOMO drifter wheel (another few lbs lost, didn't weight them both but that dual squib airbag is a brick). Sadly I'll be adding more weight over the winter with over fenders but offsetting with other lighter weight (hopefully) parts such as seibon front fenders and trunk lid and lighter suspension parts.
Check this post if you are really serious about fixing the disparity in right/left balance on the car.
Old 03-16-16, 03:03 PM
Gymkata
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Justind27
^ correct, I switched to the 21lb Braille, turned out pretty sweet no issues at all.

After sitting most of the winter, my battery is dead and won't take a charge. I just ordered the B3121 an hour ago. I can't wait to see how it works.
Old 03-17-16, 03:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

IS the replacing the battery as simply as just disconnecting the old one, connecting the new one, Starting the car and resetting the windows and sunroof bu just rolling them down and up again??? Have been thinking to replace my battery with something much more durable than the trash they put in my car at the dealership that doesnt last more than a year in AZ
Old 03-17-16, 06:16 PM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been looking at this battery for a replacement http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com...ries-ytx12-24/ its like 5LBS
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...,355_SH20_.jpg
Old 03-17-16, 06:35 PM
liquidtek
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
IS the replacing the battery as simply as just disconnecting the old one, connecting the new one, Starting the car and resetting the windows and sunroof bu just rolling them down and up again??? Have been thinking to replace my battery with something much more durable than the trash they put in my car at the dealership that doesnt last more than a year in AZ
after removing an re-installing my ecu from the tune by disconnecting the battery that seems to be about all I needed to reprogram beside the clock & radio.
Old 03-17-16, 07:47 PM
Bigjon3475
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rselby
Good reviews and it seems like they back their product since it has a 3 year warranty.
Old 03-17-16, 08:18 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rselby
Wow! It's only 5 lbs? That's a huge weight saving over stock!
Old 03-18-16, 07:04 AM
SubOrbital
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Wow! It's only 5 lbs? That's a huge weight saving over stock!
Lithium batteries ain't no joke...but that's why it's $400.
Old 03-18-16, 08:09 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
Lithium batteries ain't no joke...but that's why it's $400.
Last year, I was looking for a replacement "light weight" battery and did find something similar to these. I remember the company wanting close to $1k..... I decided to get oem for now. With this price, I am definitely getting it when my current battery gives out.
Old 03-18-16, 09:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I wonder if this has Braile rethinking their business model. These prices are totally affordable and the weight savings is ridiculous. When the red top gives out, this will be my next battery for sure. Just need terminal adapters and it's good to go.

Yes Tammer, it really is that easy. 5 minute job if you have a beer while you are doing it.
Old 03-18-16, 10:56 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I wonder if this has Braile rethinking their business model. These prices are totally affordable and the weight savings is ridiculous. When the red top gives out, this will be my next battery for sure. Just need terminal adapters and it's good to go.

Yes Tammer, it really is that easy. 5 minute job if you have a beer while you are doing it.
Be sure to read the reviews. While Lithium batteries are fantastic, they are less tolerant to the wide range of environmental variables that acid batteries are better at.
Amazon.com: Antigravity Batteries 24-Cell OEM Case 720 CA 24Ah YTX12-24: Automotive Amazon.com: Antigravity Batteries 24-Cell OEM Case 720 CA 24Ah YTX12-24: Automotive

I had a braille battery for a month an made the mistake of leaving the battery disconnect off on the drift car, dead 300 carbon fiber battery. Lithium is great on a car that always has a tender plugged in or disconnected when not in use. If they discharge below their internal threshold then then become a large load on the charging system and overheat to fire as some reviews have mentioned. There are some other products in the 1000-1400 range that have failsafes in them. I guess that is the difference.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction ???