IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Weight Reduction ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 10:54 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
If some of you are willing to lose the dual exhaust, most good titanium single exit systems only weight 11-15 lbs
My Ti can dual axleback weighs 22lbs. which is 18lbs lighter than stock. I was also considering offering a single exit. I prefer to build to order anyway, so this could be an option I offer.
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 04-07-10, 11:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

We need to get weight off the nose. The car is way nose heavy and driver's side heavy from the factory. There would be a lot of value in getting the car closer to neutral while cutting overall weight. I'm not exactly sure how this could be done without compromising a lot though.
Old 04-08-10, 01:00 AM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know if it has been caught yet because I dont feel like reading 3 pages of comments to say this but the 27 pounds was just the sound dampening tar in the vehicle
Old 04-08-10, 09:27 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by windex
I dont know if it has been caught yet because I dont feel like reading 3 pages of comments to say this but the 27 pounds was just the sound dampening tar in the vehicle

Here is the proof, give or take a pound...!!!

Click below for enlarge.. from Importuner built IS-F from SEMA 2008

"Now that we had access to the exposed chassis, all the tar and sound deadening material was scraped, chiseled and gnawed off in an effort to reduce weight. How much? According to our scale, 27 lbs or so..."

Joe Z
Old 04-08-10, 10:34 AM
j8123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have removed quite a bit from my car already. I will jump out in the garage later and weigh it all. I would guess it is close to 70lb or more.

Removed
Stock Mufflers
Secondary Cats
Spare Tire, Tools, Jack
Owners manual...lol I think it weighs damn near 2 lb's.
Old 04-08-10, 11:19 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Here is the proof, give or take a pound...!!!

Click below for enlarge.. from Importuner built IS-F from SEMA 2008

"Now that we had access to the exposed chassis, all the tar and sound deadening material was scraped, chiseled and gnawed off in an effort to reduce weight. How much? According to our scale, 27 lbs or so..."

Joe Z
wow man...lol
Old 04-08-10, 12:07 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Basically the same as me. Spare Tire, Tools and Jack is only on special occasion though
Originally Posted by j8123
I have removed quite a bit from my car already. I will jump out in the garage later and weigh it all. I would guess it is close to 70lb or more.

Removed
Stock Mufflers
Secondary Cats
Spare Tire, Tools, Jack
Owners manual...lol I think it weighs damn near 2 lb's.
Old 04-08-10, 12:42 PM
j8123
Driver

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Basically the same as me. Spare Tire, Tools and Jack is only on special occasion though
I followed you down the dark path of removal with no replacement. The stock mufflers themselves have got to be close to 20 pounds each. I live be the rule no passengers and less then a 1/4 tank of gas when out racing. Each gallon in your tank adds 8.34 pounds. You can cut out 60-80 pounds right there.
Old 04-08-10, 12:53 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Sad to say you're on the right track. The seats, as great as they are, weigh a ton. Replacing them with something lighter isn't hard to do at all.

I've also heard of a company producing carbon fibre panels to replace your OEM sunroof glass. That saves significant weight AND takes it off a very high point in the car which helps transition stability.

Removing bumpers is taking your life in your hands. You might only need it once, but when you need it, there's no substitute.

Spare, jack, lightweight battery, engine covers (all of them), lighter wheels (yes, there are much lighter wheels available), a truly lightweight exhaust (forget this dual muffler, dual pipe thing - single muffler & single pipe is lighter).

If you really want to get radical, strip the interior as far as you are comfortable, install a proper mount for a five or six point harness and ditch the airbags (this might also permanently **** off the gauges...). Still lots more, but at this point, you'd have been better off starting with something lighter to begin with.

Still, plenty of stuff could be lighter. I've been told there's a shop in Buford, GA that has replicated all the IS-F bodywork in carbon fibre as well - there may be some weight savings there too, but it will come at a steep price.
Wow, never heard that b4. You mean all us guys with true dual JoeZ and the like exhausts are wasting our money?
Haven't they (true duals with X-pipe etc) been proven on the dyno to produce more power, be more efficient, and just about match the OEM exhaust weight? (not to mention the 'sweet song' from the V8.

Sure the duals are not as light as an aftermarket single pipe but that won't match the hp of a true dual anyway will it? The extra hp gain would far outweigh the weight penalty wouldn't it?

C.
Old 04-08-10, 12:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by j8123
I followed you down the dark path of removal with no replacement. The stock mufflers themselves have got to be close to 20 pounds each. I live be the rule no passengers and less then a 1/4 tank of gas when out racing. Each gallon in your tank adds 8.34 pounds. You can cut out 60-80 pounds right there.
No, gasoline weighs 6 lbs per gallon, not 8. Water weighs 8 and gas floats on water.
Old 04-08-10, 01:12 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

We need to get weight off the nose. The car is way nose heavy and driver's side heavy from the factory. There would be a lot of value in getting the car closer to neutral while cutting overall weight. I'm not exactly sure how this could be done without compromising a lot though.
I don't know how much weight loss this would yield but going from OEM fan to aluminum/electric fan would surely drop weight but I doubt the performance is any better.
Old 04-08-10, 01:31 PM
j8123
Driver

No, gasoline weighs 6 lbs per gallon, not 8. Water weighs 8 and gas floats on water.
Cool, I never thought about it until you posted that gas would have less weight then water.
Old 04-08-10, 02:21 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trackdood
that would be me... hahah. just under 3600.. about 3585...
So what all did you do to get down to 3585?
Old 04-08-10, 02:41 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

I agree 100%. Weight loss in general is beneficial in our case. But if we could lose significant amount of weight while further balancing the car at the same time would be ideal.

I know this made a difference for a few of my friends on other cars.
I don't know how much weight loss this would yield but going from OEM fan to aluminum/electric fan would surely drop weight but I doubt the performance is any better.
Old 04-08-10, 02:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I was thinking we need to ditch the motorized steering column and replace it with the one from the 250. I suspect we could save quite a bit of weight by getting rid of all those motors and the adjustability. Best of all, it takes weight off the front and the driver's side at the same time.

Quick Reply: Weight Reduction ???