IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

Old 10-30-13, 01:14 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2011 has it but it doesn't bother me. Car runs smooth/fast, long as it doesn't hurt the engine I don't really mind.
Old 10-30-13, 08:00 PM
revolut1on
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noticed the ticking sound on my 2011 a while back and never bothered with it. Engine is roaring strong as ever.
Old 02-16-15, 08:02 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Sorry to revive back the thread but is any one else experiencing this? Is there a recall for it now? Is there a remedy?
Old 02-16-15, 11:31 AM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
Sorry to revive back the thread but is any one else experiencing this? Is there a recall for it now? Is there a remedy?
My '12 F make the metal knocking tapping sound when warmed up also. Had the valves adjusted once and the noise is the same.

Seems to be very common and maybe normal? It's mostly embarrassing in drive thru's since the noise is amplified, sounds like a bad rod knock or something.
Old 02-16-15, 01:01 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

^^I just noticed my F had the same noise but on the passenger side. Performance is still there, just the weird sound at idle. It comes and goes. From reading the previous post, yamaha makes their engines loud so maybe this is what it is?
Old 02-16-15, 03:27 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by idoke1
^^I just noticed my F had the same noise but on the passenger side. Performance is still there, just the weird sound at idle. It comes and goes. From reading the previous post, yamaha makes their engines loud so maybe this is what it is?
Yeah it seems that way doesn't it?

I remember reading about a member on here who had Lexus completely tear his whole engine apart to find the noise and I think he was out of a car for 3 months or so IIRC. He eventually traded it in for a brand new 2011 which also started making the same noise.

I'd say it's normal.
Old 04-20-15, 08:37 AM
exlr8in
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Please PM Invoice

Hey Salil,

I hope you still have that invoice? I am in the process of purchasing a used 2008, yep had to wait this long to afford an IS F (ha)...

would you mind PMing me the invoice, or I'll give my eMail on PM.

Thanks
Old 04-20-15, 04:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This is hilarious. We all have the noise but yet its still supposed to be abnormal. Its direct injection and normal valve noise guys. I am one of the very few here who had another V8 from Lexus and it sounded the same . It would be like people freaking out about the beltslip noise at redline. They ALL do it and they all operate normally.

Spinning wheels is all we are doing here
Old 06-27-15, 02:17 PM
JohnnyISF
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,

Am thinking about to get the lexus isf 10+ but worry about the ticking noise on the engine. Wondering if i should spend 40k plus for it and might have the same problem like some of you had. What you guys think about the carmax? am going do a test drive on isf 10 and should i get it from a non lexus dealer which i think they dont know much about fixing it and hows the v8 direct injector sound like vs ticking? please help
thanks
Old 06-27-15, 02:47 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyISF
Hi Guys,

Am thinking about to get the lexus isf 10+ but worry about the ticking noise on the engine. Wondering if i should spend 40k plus for it and might have the same problem like some of you had. What you guys think about the carmax? am going do a test drive on isf 10 and should i get it from a non lexus dealer which i think they dont know much about fixing it and hows the v8 direct injector sound like vs ticking? please help
thanks
i think the sound is common and yes its kinda embarrasing at the drive thru, but the car it self is a monster. i bought mine at carmax and purchase an extended warranty and that give me peace of mind even better longo lexus honors the warrant that i purchased.
Old 06-27-15, 02:48 PM
H1_OFICR
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys,

thanks

Johnny,

I posted this a while back and... The isf has been an amazing purchase!

I went through about 30 pages on the forums looking for problems.. The huge problems I found were:

Someone's hair getting messed up from wind flow from Windows (seriously.... These are the type of complaints.. Go on a m3 or amg forum. Blown transmissions, head bolt issues.. 6k brake jobs... )

No but seriously. Waterpumps, possible inner tire wear... Speeding tickets.. And ur empty bank account from buying carbon fiber..

These cars are over engineered.. Search "reliability" on here and u will not find one negative thing.. Pretty remarkable. But.... Make sure u gel your hair... The damn wind gets it every time.
Old 06-27-15, 04:14 PM
JohnnyISF
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,

did any of you compare between a brand new engine noise with the used one.
Old 06-27-15, 05:48 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,836 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Hi all,

did any of you compare between a brand new engine noise with the used one.
some of us bought the car brand new. Mine didn't make the noise until about 80k miles. It's annoying, but mine only does it on cold cycle. As soon as the oil is up to temperature (3 bars) it is silent as it was new.
Old 06-27-15, 08:28 PM
ULTSISF
Lead Lap

It's a common thing not sure why this is a concern. I have yet to see someone claiming this "ticking" damage engine or any other part for that matter. I bought mines new I started to hear the "ticking" around 8k but mines was intermittent some times I would hear it other times I didn't never bothered me tho. Honestly don't let this be a deal breaker the ISF has "reliable" written all over. Good luck
Old 06-29-15, 06:43 AM
JohnnyISF
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

I just got my isf 10 at carmax and i noticed the ticking too and is the same as they compare it with other v8 car which they said is normal. Its kinda bouncy though. U guys notice any much different between 09 and 10? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!