IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 08:41 AM
JohnnyISF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi chris,

I bought the extended warranty at carmax and they told me whatever happen to the car i can get it fix at the lexus dealership or ASE certified......is that true? Any of you know anout the warranty?

Thanks for y'all help
Old 06-29-15, 08:49 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyISF
Hi chris,

I bought the extended warranty at carmax and they told me whatever happen to the car i can get it fix at the lexus dealership or ASE certified......is that true? Any of you know anout the warranty?

Thanks for y'all help
yes, i took my car to longo lexus and took care of warranty issue. i bought the 5yr 150kmiles.
Old 06-29-15, 08:59 AM
JohnnyISF
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

I just got my isf 10 at carmax and i noticed the ticking too and is the same as they compare it with other v8 car which they said is normal. Its kinda bouncy though. U guys notice any much different between 09 and 10? Thanks
Old 06-30-15, 11:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTSISF
It's a common thing not sure why this is a concern. I have yet to see someone claiming this "ticking" damage engine or any other part for that matter. I bought mines new I started to hear the "ticking" around 8k but mines was intermittent some times I would hear it other times I didn't never bothered me tho. Honestly don't let this be a deal breaker the ISF has "reliable" written all over. Good luck

Me either. People are making a big deal out of nothing. If they all do it then its normal. Its like people thinking they have cancer because they fart after having Mexican food. LOL Ideal? NO .....Pretty normal? YES . Nobody is going to die....its just a little noise

thank you !! I will be here all week!LMAO
Old 06-30-15, 04:17 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

LIttle noise my butt. It's loud, it's NOT normal by any means or my car would have made it from day one. It is EMBARRASSING hearing your $60k car sound like ball bearings in a coffee can. Another fine Yamaha design plagued by poor engineering. It's not the first nor will it be the last.

I'll shoot a video in the morning. You won't be calling it a "little noise" and you'd be at your dealer whining profusely about how could my car be making such a horrible sound.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 06-30-15 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-30-15, 04:27 PM
suprasupra
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
LIttle noise my butt. It's loud, it's NOT normal by any means or my car would have made it from day one. It is EMBARRASSING hearing your $60k car sound like ball bearings in a coffee can. Another fine Yamaha design plagued by poor engineering. It's not the first nor will it be the last.

I'll shoot a video in the morning. You won't be calling it a "little noise" and you'd be at your dealer whining profusely about how could my car be making such a horrible sound.
Couldn't agree more that is one of the reasons I got rid of my 08 and got the 12 I have now !! Lance is correct it is not normal or my 12 would be making the same noise which it does not !!
Old 06-30-15, 05:33 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Lance,

Do you know how much Yamaha was involved with the overall design of the 2UR-GSE?? Was it just the heads, or much more than that?

Just curious....
Old 07-01-15, 09:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Lance,

Do you know how much Yamaha was involved with the overall design of the 2UR-GSE?? Was it just the heads, or much more than that?

Just curious....
This thread covers it pretty well. Helpful if you can read kanji.
Old 07-01-15, 10:36 AM
JohnnyISF
Driver School Candidate

Please dont post video about engine noise on this thread to private....coulld someone repost it. Thanks

Last edited by JohnnyISF; 07-01-15 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-01-15, 10:48 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

MIne does it too. Again, just kidding guys. I guess what Im implying is it doesnt seem to create any issues with performance or reliability so I try to ignore it. Its funny because I noticed mine start making the noise after I switched to synthetic at the last visit. Im going back to conventional oil for the next one. Not holding my breath though since my LS460 did the same thing.

Whats more embarrassing to me is that loud click in the intake system when I shut the car off. My buddy with a Benz always notices it
Old 07-01-15, 10:51 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

This thread covers it pretty well. Helpful if you can read kanji.
Thx for the link interesting to say the least.
Old 07-02-15, 12:02 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Salil022
Noise is there on consistent basis after the car has warmed up fully!!! If i turn the car off for 15-20 mins and then restart it, noise is not there...I have to go drive the car for 5-10 mins or let the car sit for 15 mins idling and you can hear it!
Interestingly........I just experienced an AC compressor failure. The actual pulley shaft seperated and the compressor imploded. I suspect the exact noises descibed in your symptoms had been going on for 3 years in my car.....while I am still waiting to get the repairs done now, it will be interesting to see if it has completly gone away........once returned.

I had ruled out the tensioner and always thought it was in the motor. It always did the noise right at cold start up.

I will update this info. once I get the car back and monitor a few cold start mornings...if it is related..it took years to finally show itself.

Digger08
Old 07-02-15, 03:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by digger08
Interestingly........I just experienced an AC compressor failure. The actual pulley shaft seperated and the compressor imploded. I suspect the exact noises descibed in your symptoms had been going on for 3 years in my car.....while I am still waiting to get the repairs done now, it will be interesting to see if it has completly gone away........once returned.

I had ruled out the tensioner and always thought it was in the motor. It always did the noise right at cold start up.

I will update this info. once I get the car back and monitor a few cold start mornings...if it is related..it took years to finally show itself.

Digger08
I suspected this too and turned off the A/C compressor to see if it would stop, but it didn't. I am still wondering if they should have put a sprague clutch on the alternator. The RC F has one.
Old 07-10-15, 05:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Video - finally!

The following users liked this post:
Arein (04-03-20)
Old 07-10-15, 05:55 PM
Justind27
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow... Mine doesn't sound that bad (90k 08 type) but I'll be watchin for sure

Quick Reply: Engine Metal Clicking Sound..Help!!