IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sneak preview, ISF TI exhaust

Old 06-12-09, 08:33 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts
Default FIGS ISF TI exhaust video and sound clips pg 5

I thought I would post up the progress from yesterday. Canister locations are approximate and just mocked up. We finished up the sectional exhaust and now I am on to making the welding fixture.

Then we will move to continous Mandrel bends for a 4 peice weldment. The system will be offered in thre versions. .062" wall, 0.032 Wall, and full Ti tubing.

Take a peak and give me some feedback. Again the tip exit sections will have a new bezel section that is carbon fiber. This can be optional.

Thanks, Fig
[IMG]
[IMG]
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Last edited by FIGS; 11-11-09 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-12-09, 09:01 AM
PHXF
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to come down to a couple of things: what does it sound like, what does it look like, how much does it put down on a dyno, weight, build quality, and cost – not necessarily in that order. I think the blued tips and CF inserts to fill the space would look great. Presumably this won’t weigh much either if made of Titanium.
JoeZ has set the standard by which all ISF exhausts are measured. So if you’re offering an alternative look, lighter weight, and everything else is similar to the JoeZ exhaust you probably have a competitive product.
Can you share some more details about how it is set up?
Old 06-12-09, 09:14 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you ask me honestly, it looks like a cheap ebay kit slapped together. the tips look like they are welded on wrong, the piping looks like cheap home depot stuff. not to bash on it, just telling the truth. another thing, the canister looks like its an inexpensive unit too. can we say ebay.com everywhere on it?
Old 06-12-09, 09:16 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXF
JoeZ has set the standard by which all ISF exhausts are measured. So if you’re offering an alternative look, lighter weight, and everything else is similar to the JoeZ exhaust you probably have a competitive product.
This is quite different than the JoeZ offering. Not only is the material different, but this is an axle back offering, not a full dual system. It appears to keep the Fs stock front section intact, complete with the primary and secondary cats, the one resonator, and all the piping. When this is complete the Fs exhaust aftermarket selection will look something like this:

Full Dual (Secondary cat removal)
1. JoeZ
2. Borla (Off Road Version)
3. SRT

Axle Back
1. Tanabe
2. Borla (Axle back)
3. Fig's new Titanium axle back.

I'd like to ask Fig why he chose to go with an axle back, rather than a full dual system?

Lou
Old 06-12-09, 09:19 AM
PHXF
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
if you ask me honestly, it looks like a cheap ebay kit slapped together. the tips look like they are welded on wrong, the piping looks like cheap home depot stuff. not to bash on it, just telling the truth. another thing, the canister looks like its an inexpensive unit too. can we say ebay.com everywhere on it?
dude it's just a mock up at this point.
Old 06-12-09, 09:24 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am glad others are making head way! thanks fig!
Old 06-12-09, 10:30 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Cool! Not sure how others feel about this, but if would be awesome if you can maintain the quad-stacked look, but with replacement tips. So you would use a dual outlet canister but rotate them diagonally?
Old 06-12-09, 10:42 AM
BLOWZILLA
Rookie

are just the mufflers TI?

I don’t think you can mandrel bend TI. everything I have seen made of TI is cut into small angled sections to achieve the bend. so, if it’s just steel/aluminum piping with TI mufflers you’re not going to get that sharp TI note associated with a TI exhaust system...
Old 06-12-09, 11:21 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

dude it's just a mock up at this point.
Well, first impression is everything, wouldn't you drool more if this exhaust was like a polished unit all the way without seeing the welds? And I cant help it if the exhaust tips look like their pointing the wrong way. Im just saying what I see, not bashing on it. The finished product might look totally different but until he post new picts, this is what I see right now in front of me.
Old 06-12-09, 12:09 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

This is a very interesting looking exhaust system.
Old 06-12-09, 01:39 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kyang91
This is a very interesting looking exhaust system.
+1 to that. I like the fact Fig is stepping up and developing this system I'll reserve judgement until the final product comes out
Old 06-12-09, 06:49 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That has to be very loud! Do those barrel mufflers do much? I bet it sounds great though!
Old 06-12-09, 06:58 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry but the only Ti exhaust that should have been released is the Greddy.
Old 06-12-09, 07:02 PM
larrysb
Driver

I had a genuine GM, OEM titanium exhaust system on my 02 Corvette, pipes, mufflers, tips. (cat back).

I'm not sure how ti was constructed, but it appeared to be of standard bent pipe.

It's a stock feature of '02 and up Z06.
Old 06-12-09, 07:11 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
Hmm, your are right, HKS makes horrible stuff. Do not buy it.

Japanese made Tig welded Full Ti Canisters...covered in protective packing while we fit them up. Tubing is mild steel, do you realize how much stainless is to protoype with, its a mock up...did I mention that..You also missed the fact that the canisters are duct taped to the tubing terminations? All the tubing is tack welded at the moment in sections, thus sectional. Final product will be single mandrel bent runs.

This is going to come down to a couple of things: what does it sound like, what does it look like, how much does it put down on a dyno, weight, build quality, and cost – not necessarily in that order. I think the blued tips and CF inserts to fill the space would look great. Presumably this won’t weigh much either if made of Titanium.
Can you share some more details about how it is set up?
Full Ti mufflers that are straight through. It will be full TIG welded with spring clips to hold the Ti mufflers to the Stainless tubing. Thinner tubing gauge will offer further weight reduction.
Originally Posted by lowrideraz

I'd like to ask Fig why he chose to go with an axle back, rather than a full dual system?

Lou
JoeZ has done a great job for the dual system and serving that niche. Looking at the stock system, I realy saw this peice as being of the most consequence. I wanted a lighter rear section...this should do it.

This is a system that should be 50 state legal, I wanted to keep the cats.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Fig
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sneak preview, ISF TI exhaust