IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

G8 GXP or IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 08:07 PM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A modded IS 350 may have a comparable (for now) 0 to 60 time with the IS-F, but that's literally where the comparability ends.

Look into quarter mile time and the disparity grows. Look into acceleration from a roll, the disparity grows even more (greater IS F torque).

There's more to performance than 0 to 60, although some might argue that 0 to 60 is among the most important and relevant for daily driving.

Actually, I'd say overtaking (maybe 50 to 70 or so) is MOST relevant in daily driving, and this is where the IS F far outshines the 350.
Old 06-12-09, 08:11 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These 2 cars shouldn't even be compared (and yes I am biased)

carLx - I got something for IS-F's
Old 06-12-09, 08:33 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by vraa
lol i don't think many ppl even considered the pontiac
I did for about a second or two.
Old 06-12-09, 09:03 PM
ggzoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a Grand Prix GTP before my IS350 and now I am in the F. I have actually driven the G8 and it is not that bad. Interior quality is much better than years past and the engine sounds great. That being said, the brakes are woefully undersized, NO NAV (WTF!), and it is from a company that is essentially out of buisness. Residual value will be nothing on the Pontiac compared to the Lexus. If you like American V8's, then buy a Pontiac. I would take my ISF any day of the week.
Old 06-12-09, 09:07 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is with all the gheyness on CL lately?

I certainly don't hate on American cars, as I LOVE the CTS-V and the Z06....but let's not be retarded. The G8 over an M3/C63/IS F? Only if you can't afford the luxury.
Old 06-12-09, 10:02 PM
LexFather

When I was car shopping the G8 GXP and IS-F were in the running. Amazingly I could get a loaded 42k list GXP for about 37k out the door with taxes. IS-Fs used were 10k more.

The GXP is a beast, I love it. Its clearly obvious its a bigger car and I liked that as I'm a big guy. Huge trunk, huge interior. Interior is no Lexus but its really not bad considering its a Holden. It has Brembos but they were not 6 piston like the IS-F. It DOES OFFER A MANUAL which makes me tingle but I know after a month, I would be tired of it.

Gas mileage is horrendous, worse than the IS-F. I do love the looks more than the IS-F, I think it looks fantastic. Both sound fantastic. IS-F feels more nimble, feels more like a "coupe" to the GXP. The GXP responds to mods REAL well and its a 4 door Vette basically.

In summary the IS-F it a small techno brute Ninja and the GXP is a huge old school wrestler. Think Street Fighter

Now I didn't buy either car but in the end I know with the IS-F its a Lexus whereas with the GXP I know after the newness wears off, I will get tired of it. I also know over time it won't hold up as well. What was HUGELY disapointing was the G8 forum!! I was reading and asking questions and it sounded like a bunch of guys from Alabama in the 1950s. It turned me away. Also knowing Pontiac might be canceled affected my purchase, why would I want to own something that has my taxmoney and is full of fail (the brand, not the car).

In the end I will get an IS-F eventually and the GXP I really like but it will be something I rather compliment someone on than own.

Oh and guys its "not" really a Pontiac. Its a Holden Commadore, in the Middle East its a Chevy Lumina, in Europe its a Vauxhaull

Old 06-13-09, 11:13 AM
is-fowner
Driver

It's not even close is-f would smoke the is 350 and g8 so badly
Old 06-13-09, 11:20 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

I would get the G8 over the IS-F anyday. Even is Pontiac is falling i would take the pontiac because of the engine noise and it looks a lot better. I mean the IS-F is cool and all but it doesnt LOOK that different then the the ISx50. Most people when they see IS-F around where i live they ask if its a modded IS350 which i dont appreciate. Anyways the G8 doesnt look that childish. Anyways I mostly like Pontiacs because of there 2006 GTO that thing looks cool and sounds good.
Old 06-13-09, 12:08 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks are subjective....If you are all about the muscle sound go with the G8...If you want luxury, speed with some class go with the F...Can't go wrong with the lexus reliability either
Old 06-13-09, 08:56 PM
jimmyjazz
Lead Lap

I traded my '06 IS350 for a '09 G8 GT. Am I satisfied with the G8, yes. Is it as nice as a Lexus, no. The one thing that is better is the paint, you know the paint on the IS SUCKS. The G8 has a decent interior though, you have to remember it's really a Holden Commodore, not a Pontiac, it has less creaks an pops than my IS did. One of the reaons I went for the G8 is because of the small size of the back seat of the IS. I can take my friends out now,and they are 5'11 to 6'2, and they actually are comfortable. I also missed the sound of a V8, and with an intake, long tube headers w/cats and a tune, I'm putting out mid 350's rwhp and rwtrq, same mods on a GXP, you'll get close to 400 of each. My IS was also starting ot make the VVT cam noise. Would I have bought it if I'd known GM was going to go bankrupt? Maybe not but you can buy the same car now for 5 thou' off easy. Do I want to get rid of it? No I don't. The 6L sound makes happy. Holden is still in business and making Commodore's, and the Zeta chassis is what is the base of the new Camaro, so part's , if needed, are available. There are even rumours Holden is giving thought's to try and sell in the U.S. Another thing, there are few, if any, poor reviews of the G8. Even everyone's beloved "Top Gear" and the lesser known "Fifth Gear" give it good reviews as the Vauxhall VXR8, look up some on "You Tube" they're pretty cool. Any way, I guess besides defending my purchase, and not disputing that the "F" a nicer vehicle, if you buy a GXP (or a GT) you'll save 10-20 thou be able to fit 5 adults comfortably, but no have Nav' and you'll be buying from a bankrupt company. Oh yeah, my Avatar is a pic of two "Australian V8 Supercar" Holden Commodores look them up on "You Tube" also.

Last edited by jimmyjazz; 06-13-09 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-14-09, 01:46 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thats my car
Old 06-14-09, 08:14 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lamar411
I would get the G8 over the IS-F anyday. Even is Pontiac is falling i would take the pontiac because of the engine noise and it looks a lot better. I mean the IS-F is cool and all but it doesnt LOOK that different then the the ISx50. Most people when they see IS-F around where i live they ask if its a modded IS350 which i dont appreciate. Anyways the G8 doesnt look that childish. Anyways I mostly like Pontiacs because of there 2006 GTO that thing looks cool and sounds good.
Haha, you talk like the G8 dont look like a G6 modded up...
Old 06-14-09, 08:16 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jimmyjazz
I traded my '06 IS350 for a '09 G8 GT. Am I satisfied with the G8, yes. Is it as nice as a Lexus, no. The one thing that is better is the paint, you know the paint on the IS SUCKS. The G8 has a decent interior though, you have to remember it's really a Holden Commodore, not a Pontiac, it has less creaks an pops than my IS did. One of the reaons I went for the G8 is because of the small size of the back seat of the IS. I can take my friends out now,and they are 5'11 to 6'2, and they actually are comfortable. I also missed the sound of a V8, and with an intake, long tube headers w/cats and a tune, I'm putting out mid 350's rwhp and rwtrq, same mods on a GXP, you'll get close to 400 of each. My IS was also starting ot make the VVT cam noise. Would I have bought it if I'd known GM was going to go bankrupt? Maybe not but you can buy the same car now for 5 thou' off easy. Do I want to get rid of it? No I don't. The 6L sound makes happy. Holden is still in business and making Commodore's, and the Zeta chassis is what is the base of the new Camaro, so part's , if needed, are available. There are even rumours Holden is giving thought's to try and sell in the U.S. Another thing, there are few, if any, poor reviews of the G8. Even everyone's beloved "Top Gear" and the lesser known "Fifth Gear" give it good reviews as the Vauxhall VXR8, look up some on "You Tube" they're pretty cool. Any way, I guess besides defending my purchase, and not disputing that the "F" a nicer vehicle, if you buy a GXP (or a GT) you'll save 10-20 thou be able to fit 5 adults comfortably, but no have Nav' and you'll be buying from a bankrupt company. Oh yeah, my Avatar is a pic of two "Australian V8 Supercar" Holden Commodores look them up on "You Tube" also.
I gotta agree with you that the IsF is very cramped compared to the G8, but you know what I gotta comment about the save 10-20 thou over the F? Guess whats gonna happen when you trade in the F over the G8? you get your 10-20k back.
Old 06-14-09, 08:19 AM
IS-Fly168
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Salil022
Looks are subjective....If you are all about the muscle sound go with the G8...If you want luxury, speed with some class go with the F...Can't go wrong with the lexus reliability either
I rather get a Dodge Charger Srt8 over the G8. That car looks bad *** if you ask me, the G8 looks like a G6 with beefy wheels and fender flairs. just look at the G8 from the front, take off hood vents, put small wheels back on, and take off fender flair, voila, your G6 is ready
Old 06-14-09, 10:16 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-Fly168
hmm, whatever rocks your boat man, if you like the Pontiac, go for it. I like the lexus more cause its more gas efficient, its smoother, its nicer in the interior. I've never been in a g8 but do they have the Mark Levinson stereo? back up camera with the navi, the two mirror tilt down when going in reverse? the adaptive hid headlights? Im getting 25mpg on the highway with this v8, how about the G8, im talking about real life miles, not that bs epa rating. I like my 6 piston brembos, what does the G8 have? how about the 19inch bbs made rims? Yeah, the isf is expensive but the g8 isnt that much cheaper, besides, you get it all back when you trade it in. how much do you think the G8 is worth in 3 years compared to an IsF? The only advantage the G8 have over the F is SIZE. Its one comfy car I bet compared to a more cramped IsF..

Stupid question by a stupid poster... WTF

I agree the only thing the Pontiac has advantage over the Lexus is in trunk space/interior cabin space....oh yeah and of course the lower price!

110% no one here that actually owns an IS-F even considered the Pontiac.

IS-F's equal competitors = C63 AMG, e92 m3, Audi RS4 and "maybe" the CTS-V....

Last edited by s4play; 06-14-09 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: G8 GXP or IS-F