IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Rubbing issues on Joe Z PTS exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-09, 06:27 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing issues on Joe Z PTS exhaust...

I have noticed when I make a hard right turn while throttling I hear something in the rear rubbing with the exhaust. It's only when I make a right turn tho. I took it back to the shop and checked if the exhaust is moving but they couldn't find any problems. The exhaust is pretty stiff and does not rock back and forth. Anyone with the Joe Z exhaust experience this problem? Help much appreciatted thanks.

Andy

Last edited by ISF-88; 05-07-09 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-07-09, 09:15 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at what speed? like hooking a right then wot from a traffic intersection?

i haven't noticed that, but i do hear loud pops when i hit the redline, which was often for my first day with it today.
Old 05-07-09, 09:43 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by malujerry
at what speed? like hooking a right then wot from a traffic intersection?

i haven't noticed that, but i do hear loud pops when i hit the redline, which was often for my first day with it today.

at low speeds and high speeds...
Old 05-08-09, 12:50 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe-Z will chime in soon enough, someone else had this issue and he fixed it.

Someone, didn't install it correctly, i believe, so Joe had to fix it.
Old 05-08-09, 01:09 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

yes Joe Z fixed mine cuz I was the prototype test car...and we got it all figured out...hehe...he'll contact you soon to get rid of that rubbing...it's close to the ELSD...i think...hehe
Old 05-08-09, 01:20 AM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
yes Joe Z fixed mine cuz I was the prototype test car...and we got it all figured out...hehe...he'll contact you soon to get rid of that rubbing...it's close to the ELSD...i think...hehe
I kind of knew the problem is somewhere around the Electronic Diff cuz it sits very close to it and especially if it only happens when I turn right as exhaust will swing towards the left. I installed all the hangers right so it shouldn't be the midpipe. Also when I lifted the car today we tried rocking the exhaust side to side and it barely budged.

You can't tell me now what the problem is? As I'm trying to fix it by today.
Old 05-08-09, 01:49 AM
yummy
Driver School Candidate

hey guys i actually had the same problem for me it was the driver side muffler rubbing on the plate that is on the stock tail pipes so i just used a dremel to cut off a cm off the plate to give the muffler room and now it dont make that sound no more
Old 05-08-09, 02:38 AM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Update:

Did some test runs to try and figure out where the rubbing is coming from. Sounds and feels like coming from mid to rear section. Also it's a metal to metal vibration sound while turning right only.
Old 05-08-09, 04:06 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

See this link for your answer. Basically an easy fix. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4484765-post198.html
Old 05-08-09, 09:58 AM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
See this link for your answer. Basically an easy fix. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4484765-post198.html

Thanks cayman for the help. Also if Joe Z himself can tell me what problem he fixed which was mentioned in a post above about problem area around the ELSD that would be great also cuz I don't wanna be fixing certain areas if it isn't the problem.
Old 05-08-09, 11:03 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Ok... Thank You of being patient..

There will NOT be any rubbing issues by the ELSD.

The slight contact issue you are hearing is located on the front x-pipe...
You are just experiencing a slight alignment issue in that area.

What we have noticed recently, is that the spacing between various IS-F's differ by a few millimeters.

Basically, when your are making hard right turns under heavy acceleration, the entire engine, manifold, exhaust & transmission all shift left...
There is a black bracket there that supports the plastic transmission aerodynamic cover, which is stationary.

What you are going to do is loosen the two flange bolts that attach to the manifold, place a pry bar in between the x-pipe and bracket. While applying some pressure & creating space, the flange bolts must be re-tightened. It is recommended to do one side at a time making sure the spacing is even and equally split on each side.

The areas circled in red below show the possible contact points.

Your issue will be on the Passenger Side.

Passenger Side....................................Drivers Side

Let me know if this solves your issue..

Regards,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 05-08-09 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-08-09, 06:29 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z

What we have noticed recently, is that the spacing between various IS-F's differ by a few millimeters.

Basically, when your are making hard right turns under heavy acceleration, the entire engine, manifold, exhaust & transmission all shift left...
There is a black bracket there that supports the plastic transmission aerodynamic cover, which is stationary.

What you are going to do is loosen the two flange bolts that attach to the manifold, place a pry bar in between the x-pipe and bracket. While applying some pressure & creating space, the flange bolts must be re-tightened. It is recommended to do one side at a time making sure the spacing is even and equally split on each side.

Regards,

Joe Z

Thank you Joe Z, we got it figured out today as it was exactly that area. Now nomore rubbing Thanks again.
Old 05-09-09, 11:39 AM
pootie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Regards,

Joe Z
I fixed my problem by grinding the bracket as cayman suggested. No biggie. Rattle is gone. I did notice also that there is some 'slop' in the mounting holes of the mentioned bracket. Some owners might have some luck by just simply loosening the mounting bolts of the bracket and essesntially shifting it towards the drivers side (assuming it was bolted down in a position more towards the passenger side). Just an idea.
Old 05-09-09, 06:57 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear it got all fixed up. I had an issue with mine rubbing but I was able to fix it. A different piece was rubbing but that issue has since been fixed by the man himself, Joe Z
Old 05-09-09, 08:26 PM
ISF-88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Glad to hear it got all fixed up. I had an issue with mine rubbing but I was able to fix it. A different piece was rubbing but that issue has since been fixed by the man himself, Joe Z

Thanks Mike and also thanks to all the ppl that helped me with conclusions on the rubbing issues, ya I had to shave a bit off the bracket as well and now I'm having a blast with this exhaust. Just can't wait for the intake to come in and thanks to my passport 9500ix saving my butt a bunch of times cuz I noticed I tend to speed even more with the exhaust lol.