IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Which Oil Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 05:06 PM
RiotGrip
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lubox, Thanks for the info, I just bought two of the Purolators on a special from advance auto, I'll have to return them now.

Also, For all the DIYers reading this. If your dealer is not close (as is my case) WIX makes an oil filter that does fit the IS-F perfectly, I have used it and can attest to this. The part number is Wix #57310 it is a part built only for the IS-F. The part cost me $11 with the gasket included.
Old 12-23-09, 12:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,843 Likes on 2,331 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
The correct Lexus Part number for the IS-F Oil Filter is 04152-51010, and its around $8 bucks if you pick it up discounted..

If someone here can confirm that the 04152-YZZA4 part number is the same exact filter element as the IS-F oil filter.. Then I will switch..

Otherwise I'm sticking to the right part number..

Whenever possible Lexus will reuse a part number if it can be crossed over to another model.. I don't see it happening in this case..

Joe Z
All the YZZ filters are US or Thailand made. The 51010 filter is Japanese made. I'll take the empirical evidence from Blackstone as an indication the filter is doing its job and doing it well. When I changed this filter, I also sent another sample to Blackstone for analysis. I've been running the YZZ filters exclusively since my first oil change at 5000 miles. I'll take examined and measured over "Lexus says it's right" every single day. Lexus is arbitrarily telling me I need to change my oil every 5k, but used oil analysis tells me I can go 12k on an oil change. When you consider the largest and most expensive engines in the world employ UOA to determine OCI, not arbitrary hours of service, then it's easy to decide the manufacturer is going for least warranty claims and highest service revenue over what's measurably best.

Wix makes a great filter. I'd run their stuff in a heartbeat, but the YZZ filters cost me less than $5 each delivered to the door in a 10 pack. I change filters every 5 or 6k, so cheaper is better. I'm also not 100% convinced a "better" filter means capturing more small particles if it also means flow drops off at high rpm. Some supposedly high end canister filters do this, and it's guaranteed death.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-23-09 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-23-09, 12:22 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^^ So the size & fitment are exactly the same??

Why are they going through all the trouble to list a specific part number for just the F.. ??

Joe Z
Old 12-23-09, 12:40 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Why are they going through all the trouble to list a specific part number for just the F.. ??

Joe Z
Revenues??
Old 12-23-09, 12:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Great question. Why are they specifying the YZZ filter for all the other cartridge style V-8s like Tundra and LX series?

How about I send you one of the ones I have and you do a side by side with the expensive one?
Old 12-23-09, 01:12 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Great question. Why are they specifying the YZZ filter for all the other cartridge style V-8s like Tundra and LX series?

How about I send you one of the ones I have and you do a side by side with the expensive one?
LoL Lance!!

I will throw one of my extra F filters in my trunk and the next time I drive by a Toyota dealership, I can do a side by side comparison..

Jz
Old 12-24-09, 08:05 AM
mcgivern
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend you stick with part no. 04152-51010. I left my Lexus dealer after the 5000 mile service and they called me after 10 minutes and said to come back because they had installed the wrong filter. There is some difference between the IS-F filter and the other V-8 filters. The others fit but are not correct. I would rather pay a few bucks more and know my engine is protected properly.
Old 12-24-09, 08:15 AM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Does Mobil One make a filter that fits our car?
Peter
Old 12-25-09, 05:40 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Joe Z
Couldn't agree more JoeZ, Let me get this straight... Some of you had NO problem buying a 60k Automobile, but are willing to risk a 10k engine to save 3 or 4 dollars? Sorry guys but that is plain STUPID to me I am NO filter engineer, nor do I claim to be, but this type of risk ranks right up there with buying a bargain bin parachute.
Old 12-25-09, 01:29 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Longing for the good ol' days.....

....when you could stuff a roll of toilet paper (Scott Tissue brand, of course) into the oil filter housing of a Chevy 283 and you were good to go. Now there is an entire science about the do's and don't of engine oil filtering. Heck, as often as I change my oil I may not even need a filter but who knows??
Old 12-25-09, 04:30 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i just went to sewell's site and looked under 08 IS F and got this part # for the oil filter:

04152-YZZA4-01

cost is $4.49 with no discount
Old 12-26-09, 07:22 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
i just went to sewell's site and looked under 08 IS F and got this part # for the oil filter:

04152-YZZA4-01

cost is $4.49 with no discount
But, But, were in a recession, cant we get one for $1.94 LOL. God I HATE cheap people!
Old 12-26-09, 07:27 AM
ming15237
Lead Lap

To give an example I have had people come to my shop before and bring their own oil and filter and ask for an oil change, I always say sure, and hand them a bill for the exact same price it would have been for us to supply the oil and filter. As they look at me with that "deer in the headlights" look I ask them if they have ever taken their own bacon and eggs to Denny's and asked them to cook them....? We make almost nothing on these types of services, It is purely out of principle.
Old 12-30-09, 10:18 AM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Toftt

i "took one for the team" and i bought both oil filters so i could check them out...

here's some snaps:

there's def a difference in the color so i'm guessing the material will be slightly different as well

as you can read on the box, they're made in different locations as a previous poster mentioned as well

the kit on the right comes with some plastic adaptor piece and an extra o-ring

list price for the YZZA4 is $5.41
list price for the 51010 is $11.57
Old 12-30-09, 10:42 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Yep. Just like the old Supra days. The "made in Japan" filters were considered "better" than the made in USA or made in Thailand filters, but no one had any solid proof this was true in any way.

I seriously doubt there is any filtering difference, and my UOA supports the Thai made filter delivering clean oil to the engine. I'll take the YZZ4, thank you.

Oh, the "you bought a $60k car, why are you cheaping out on it" is no different than paying $40 a liter for the magical V-160 oil for the Getrag in the Supra. V-160 oil is just Dexron II. Dexron III is a suitable substitute according to every lubrication engineer I've talked to. The only Dex III you can't run in the Getrag is Red Line D-4 ATF since it has too much seal swell in it for the DU bushing in the gearbox. I fixed mine after I had an issue with it, and now I run Mobil 1 ATF - it's worked great for years and doesn't cost $40 a liter. Sometimes you have to spend money. Many times you don't. Knowing when and where is the difference between poverty and wealth.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-30-09 at 10:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Arfboy (10-31-21), Ginsterkev (05-23-23)

Quick Reply: Which Oil Filter?