IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-09, 07:44 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Never had an aftermarket filter in the IS-F and never will.
Gotcha, just wanted to clarify, thanks
Old 04-11-09, 09:28 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe it's pulling timing? Maybe your air filter is dirtier now than before (did you change to a new air filter?). Maybe your oil level is slightly different than before - but then again, oil level will have a more generalized effect and not certain "sections". I'm thinking it's probably timing control of the engine. If you look at the new dyno, at the higher RPMS, it looks like you don't have the usual "shape". Kind of like Juanca's baseline up there. Too bad we have no way of knowing if the motor is pulling timing in any way.

Last edited by ToothDoc; 04-11-09 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 05:57 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Maybe it's pulling timing? Maybe your air filter is dirtier now than before (did you change to a new air filter?). Maybe your oil level is slightly different than before - but then again, oil level will have a more generalized effect and not certain "sections". I'm thinking it's probably timing control of the engine. If you look at the new dyno, at the higher RPMS, it looks like you don't have the usual "shape". Kind of like Juanca's baseline up there. Too bad we have no way of knowing if the motor is pulling timing in any way.
It's really hard to tell if it's pulling timing or not without doing some data logging and if it is pulling timing I have to wonder what was causing that to happen as the only real change to the car was the addition of the intake pipe. If the air filter was dirty it wouldn't have performed as well as it did and made the more top end power. Speaking of oil, it was actually switched to Mobil 1 synthetic two weeks ago from the dinosaur oil that I had been running. Currently 19k miles on the car. I've never seen a car lose power by switching to synthetic. So I'm....

I'd consider doing a new baseline run if I were funded. Otherwise I'm not going to worry myself over a few hp and move onto the exhaust side of things next.
Old 04-12-09, 03:17 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cayman,

Excuse me if this has already been discussed. But I have always figured that for optimum results you need to make mods on both sides of the combustion chamber. To put on a higher flow intake with out changing the exhaust may not yield the best results. So I think you should hang onto the intake until after you install the exhaust.
Old 04-12-09, 04:19 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Cayman,

Excuse me if this has already been discussed. But I have always figured that for optimum results you need to make mods on both sides of the combustion chamber. To put on a higher flow intake with out changing the exhaust may not yield the best results. So I think you should hang onto the intake until after you install the exhaust.
That just may be the case here. I wanted to see if an otherwise stock IS-F would gain anything with just the intake pipe and I was unsuccessful. Once I have the exhaust on I will try again with another JoeZ intake tube. I've only seen people with an exhaust trying out the intake and they all had positive results so hopefully (as you said) it's just a matter of freeing up some exhaust to get the benefit out of the JoeZ intake tube.
Old 04-15-09, 04:43 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default Update

So I'm going back and hitting the dyno later this morning for a new "baseline" which will be overlaid on my intake pipe results from last week. My original baseline that was done back in the fall will be thrown out. As other threads have been started already, Joe has some very good customer service and really backs his products. So much so that he has offered to pitch in for the new baseline which should rule out any questions with regards to my lackluster intake results last week.

Also FWIW I'm still on the same tank of gas as last week as well as everything else.
Old 04-15-09, 05:30 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

So I'm going back and hitting the dyno later this morning for a new "baseline" which will be overlaid on my intake pipe results from last week. My original baseline that was done back in the fall will be thrown out. As other threads have been started already, Joe has some very good customer service and really backs his products. So much so that he has offered to pitch in for the new baseline which should rule out any questions with regards to my lackluster intake results last week.

Also FWIW I'm still on the same tank of gas as last week as well as everything else.
Great keep us tuned.
Old 04-15-09, 11:03 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default Final JOEZ intake results overlaid on new baseline.

Well I'm glad I went and had a new baseline done today.The results are more in line with what others have posted. In a nutshell the JOEZ intake pipe makes more power from 4000rpm and up whereas the stock intake has more low end grunt.

My only question is why would my car be making less power than it did back in October? I've switched to synthetic Mobil one, only have a few thousand more miles on since my previous baseline and so the results have me baffled. The only thing I can think of is just perhaps the fuel I was running back in October made a difference. When I go back for my upcoming exhaust dyno runs I'll be sure to use the same fuel that I've run for these latest pulls.

Here are the results in detail:

Last edited by caymandive; 11-09-10 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-15-09, 11:52 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if the ISF's ECU can do a quick learning curve rest?
Old 04-15-09, 12:33 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Your base seems to be a couple hp less than HoustonT. Either way good.
Old 04-15-09, 01:55 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

+6whp and +3wtq gains
Old 04-15-09, 02:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Summer vs. winter gasoline mix. One has more oxygen than the other.
Old 04-15-09, 03:34 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Summer vs. winter gasoline mix. One has more oxygen than the other.
When does summer mix begin and end? My original baseline was done Nov 1 vs my basline today of April 15. I've heard that April is a transition month.
Old 04-15-09, 03:41 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does florida have a different mix?
Old 04-15-09, 03:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,847 Likes on 2,332 Posts

When does summer mix begin and end? My original baseline was done Nov 1 vs my basline today of April 15. I've heard that April is a transition month.
Transition to winter is usually October. I've always noticed I lost mileage suddenly in October every year. Not sure about April being transition back, but it would make sense.

Originally Posted by btwanky
does florida have a different mix?
There are 200 different mixes in the continental US alone. Yes, Florida surely has its own mix, or two, or even three depending on exactly where you buy your fuel.

Quick Reply: Independent DYNO Proven results by "Caymandive" - no BS here!!