IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

DIY: IS-F front brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 01:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I'll be putting on Carbotech Bobcat pads front and rear this weekend. I got a full set of track pads too, but I'll save them for track days. I hope they dust less and don't groan at crawling speeds.
Old 05-22-09, 01:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I'll be putting on Carbotech Bobcat pads front and rear this weekend. I got a full set of track pads too, but I'll save them for track days. I hope they dust less and don't groan at crawling speeds.
I thought the groaning was normal in the slower speeds….
Old 08-01-09, 07:11 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Disclaimer!

If you guys end up getting these ceramic pads that I did for my install, do NOT use them for any type of track event or even attempt to stop from a high speed run. I met up with a guy in his HR 350Z and did 2 runs up to around 120mph and as soon as I hit the brakes I knew something was not right. They felt like they got hot, but with all the vibration I couldn't really tell if there was brake fade, but i can only conclude there was esp after now seeing hot spots on the rotors. The rotors are NOT warped, but i'm guessing the pulsation I felt was due the pad material operating outside of its designed temperature range, which I hear can leave hot spots on the disc surface where the pad will grab with every revolution of the disc. See picture below:

Anyone know where I can find some OEM pads for a descent price?

Last edited by caymandive; 08-01-09 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-01-09, 08:27 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

That is highly interesting

I have done some high speed runs but not hard stops and mine are fine....
Old 08-01-09, 08:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
If you guys end up getting these ceramic pads that I did for my install, do NOT use them for any type of track event or even attempt to stop from a high speed run. I met up with a guy in his HR 350Z and did 2 runs up to around 120mph and as soon as I hit the brakes I knew something was not right. They felt like they got hot, but with all the vibration I couldn't really tell if there was brake fade, but i can only conclude there was esp after now seeing hot spots on the rotors. The rotors are NOT warped, but i'm guessing the pulsation I felt was due the pad material operating outside of its designed temperature range, which I hear can leave hot spots on the disc surface where the pad will grab with every revolution of the disc. See picture below:

Anyone know where I can find some OEM pads for a descent price?
Look at Post #113 on the thread listed below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-on-isf-8.html

I will be going with the FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS for $220/set when the time comes. Folks on this forum and others have used them at the track with good results.

Thanks for the tip on the ceramics. I had a chance to get a set for free, and turned them down. I have had very good luck with Ferodos in the past, both on motorcycles and cars. I love the initial bit and general feel.

I just noticed you had post #117 on that same page. Get the Ferodos, you'll luv em, and the price is right

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 08-01-09 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-01-09, 08:34 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
Look at Post #113 on the thread listed below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-on-isf-8.html

I will be going with the FERODO DS2500 BRAKE PADS for $220/set when the time comes. Folks on this forum and others have used them at the track with good results.

Thanks for the tip on the ceramics. I had a chance to get a set for free, and turned them down. I have had very good luck with Ferodos in the past, both on motorcycles and cars. I love the initial bit and general feel.

I just noticed you had post #117 on that same page. Get the Ferodos, you'll luv em.

Lou
Thanks I just may go with the Ferodos if I can't get the OEM ones at a descent price. I knew these ceramic pads were too good to be true.
Old 08-02-09, 10:23 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default The hot spots vanished!

I managed to pick up some OEM pads today for $350 + tax which wasn't bad considering the damn retail price on them is close to $550. I get home, immediately install the OEM Brembo pads and go out for a spin for the embedding process. I do a few 80 to 20mph stops and a few 60-10mph stops and when I got home and looked, amazingly enough the hot spots vanished! The hot spots are gone and the brake feel is the way it should be with no high speed vibration, etc. Back to lovely brake dust and cleaning the wheels once a week!

Old 08-02-09, 02:27 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW.. Im glad that worked out good for you. once a week? I clean wheels at least twice a week. lol
Old 08-03-09, 04:56 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I just noticed something, but the picture in post #33 with the raceshopper ceramic pads it's evident that the pad wasn't even making full contact with the rotors. Appears most of the contact was centralized and not even grabbing around the outer and inner edges of the rotor as compared to the OEM pads in post #37 picture.

Anyone else on board here with those raceshopper pads have similar issues? From looking at this, my personal conclusion is the ceramic pads are a POS and I discourage anyone from using them.
Old 08-03-09, 10:16 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Pefect timing!!!

I was about to order these dust-less pads this week.. I guess I need another solution now..

Maybe Hawk or Ferodo ceramics..

I like the OEM pad performance, just hate the brake dust EVERYWHERE...

90% of my driving will be daily commuting in LA TRAFFIC.. LoL

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 08-03-09 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-03-09, 10:35 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Pefect timing!!!

I was about to order these dust-less pads this week.. I guess I need another solution no..

Maybe Hawk or Ferodo ceramics..

I like the OEM pad performance, just hate the brake dust EVERYWHERE...

90% of my driving will be daily commuting in LA TRAFFIC.. LoL

Joe Z
I don't have any experience with either of those two mentioned but at least they are a name brand. LOL. Here is a link to where I found several pads available for the IS-F minus the carbotech bobcat 1521's that I believe Lobux is using daily.
Old 08-24-09, 03:40 PM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried the Hawk Ceramic pads? If so what is your evaluation?

I have still not given up on trying to reduce the brake dust by going to ceramic. But Caymans experience is certainly food for thought.
Old 11-23-09, 09:06 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just noticed something, but the picture in post #33 with the raceshopper ceramic pads it's evident that the pad wasn't even making full contact with the rotors. Appears most of the contact was centralized and not even grabbing around the outer and inner edges of the rotor as compared to the OEM pads in post #37 picture.

Anyone else on board here with those raceshopper pads have similar issues? From looking at this, my personal conclusion is the ceramic pads are a POS and I discourage anyone from using them.
I forwarded this thread to Carbotech to get their opinion of what happened with the Raceshopper ceramic pads. Carbotech agreed that ceramic pads weren't such a good idea because of the low temperature limits of ceramic pads. Carbotech says they use a minimum amount of ceramic material combined with carbon and kevlar in their formulations. As I don't track my car and I suspect I won't be doing any panic stops from 120 mph, I am completely happy with the way the 1521s stop and provide minimal, non-corrosive dusting keeping the wheels on my F quite clean.
Old 11-23-09, 09:25 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
I forwarded this thread to Carbotech to get their opinion of what happened with the Raceshopper ceramic pads. Carbotech agreed that ceramic pads weren't such a good idea because of the low temperature limits of ceramic pads. Carbotech says they use a minimum amount of ceramic material combined with carbon and kevlar in their formulations. As I don't track my car and I suspect I won't be doing any panic stops from 120 mph, I am completely happy with the way the 1521s stop and provide minimal, non-corrosive dusting keeping the wheels on my F quite clean.
Cool. Let me know what you hear back with from Carbotech.
Old 11-23-09, 09:33 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool. Let me know what you hear back with from Carbotech.
The following is a direct cut and paste from Carbotech's (Mike Jr.) email back to me:

"It took some reading to get to the bottom of things on that thread, but I managed to do it. OK. I don't know what brand ceramic pads that this guy bought from raceshopper, but they weren't Carbotech's.
Ceramic pads are NO GOOD for stopping power and do not have a very good heat range. That is why the amount of ceramic in the Bobcat pads is only a small part of the compound in the makeup of the pad. A Ceramic, Carbon, Kevlar base is what runs throughout the product line in Carbotech brakes. The 1521/Bobcat street pad has a 900deg F+ rating, and could have taken the heat from that guys two stops from 120 MPH down, he would have been getting close to the temp threshold, but unless it was in August in 90 deg F+, he should not have overheated them. Now, did you notice where the hot spots occurred? right after each of the cross drilled holes in the center of the rotor. The hot spots were simply buildup, which he "magically" cured with the OEM pads. The change in compounds simply cleaned off the rotor because it is a high iron content pad (which most are). Going with a ceramic pad, will give you a quiet, and almost zero visible dust pad, but the stopping power is terrible, and the heat rating is very low.
The guy who wants to try the Ferodo's, if they make them for the IS-F, will still have dust issue's and they are not a rotor friendly compound."

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: DIY: IS-F front brake pads