IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

diy oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 07:36 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default diy oil change

Does anyone here have photos and instructions for and oil change on the Is-F?

thanks in advance
Daniel
Old 02-20-09, 08:35 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Take off old filter, empty oil....replace with clean oil....put on new filter
Old 02-20-09, 08:42 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changing the oil is the easy part....changing the oil filter is not.
You need a special tool to remove the filter housing to get at the filter, and judging by other SST's I've priced at the dealer, it's got a heavy p/tag.

I went as far as buying a filter from the Lexus parts guy but then discovered that it was a cartridge type that fits into an odd housing needing a tool.
I've not had a chance to pursue this yet, but I will. I love doing my own o/changes.

I too would like to know if and how members do theirs (at home).
I've not heard of anyone doing it so far.....................

Perhaps if JoeZ reads this he might give us a hint as to what's needed and how we can handle this.....

Colin.
Old 02-20-09, 08:47 AM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ISFer,

Like you, I bought a couple of filters from my Lexus dealer only to find that they were cartridges only, not spin-on filters.

I have not yet bought the tool to change the filter housing. I remember from the early 60's changing Chevrolet V-8 filters with housings and always spilling oil when removing the canister containing the cartridge.

Earlier I had gone to Kar Kare for an oil change on my ISF and they did not have the filter elements so took it to the dealer.
Old 02-20-09, 08:54 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FPR1939
ISFer,

Like you, I bought a couple of filters from my Lexus dealer only to find that they were cartridges only, not spin-on filters.

I have not yet bought the tool to change the filter housing. I remember from the early 60's changing Chevrolet V-8 filters with housings and always spilling oil when removing the canister containing the cartridge.

Earlier I had gone to Kar Kare for an oil change on my ISF and they did not have the filter elements so took it to the dealer.
Yeah, I had a close look underneath back when I bought my filter and saw the housing which unfortunately is horizontal... but hey, I'm sure if we can get that housing apart without much difficulty (or expense) we'll get thru it ok.
LOL, What's changing the oil without making at least a little mess -- right

I pm'd JoeZ for his views and expect he'll come in here when he has time.

Yes the cartridge type filters on the smallblock Chevys of the 50's and 60's -- Wow, what a flashback. (I'm starting to feel old(er) again....

Colin
Old 02-20-09, 09:50 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

awesome info joez. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by lx470man; 02-20-09 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-20-09, 09:51 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Hey Colin.. Thanks for the heads up!!!

I haven't had the pleasure of doing an oil change on the IS-F yet...

Here is a quick example of a DIY IS350 oil change, which I think will be similar except for the fluid quantity and the oil filter of course...

Lexus IS350 DIY Oil Change

This IS350 visual should give you all a better idea..

The cartridge cover itself is designed with tabs that allow the oil to flow down and out as long as you have lined it up in a vertical position, once the cap has been loosened passed the O-ring.

The SST is expensive and I actually haven't had the time to pick one up my self...

So I picked up one of these and it does the trick on my 350 with out much effort, if used correctly with patience..

* IS-F Oil Filter Part Number = 04152-51010

* IS-F Oil Capacity with Filter = 10 Qts

Hope this helps!!

Joe Z
Old 02-20-09, 10:04 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Here is a quick example of a DIY IS350 oil change, which I think will be similar except for the fluid quantity and the oil filter of course...

The cartridge cover itself is designed with tabs that allow the oil to flow down and out as long as you have lined it up in a vertical position, once the cap has been loosened passed the O-ring.

The SST is expensive and I actually haven't had the time to pick one up my self...

So I picked up one of these and it does the trick on my 350 with out much effort, if used correctly with patience..

Hope this helps!!

Joe Z
is there any special process to add the oil? i know it has a scavenger pump right does it have a tank or something or just an oil pan like all cars? the z06 has to be changed different because of the dry sump and thats why it holds lots of oil i figured the is-f may have something similar? thanks joe! and thanks for air filter help!
Old 02-20-09, 10:06 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Take off old filter, empty oil....replace with clean oil....put on new filter
hahaha your so mean! lol!
Old 02-20-09, 10:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DFLORES
is there any special process to add the oil? i know it has a scavenger pump right does it have a tank or something or just an oil pan like all cars? the z06 has to be changed different because of the dry sump and thats why it holds lots of oil i figured the is-f may have something similar? thanks joe! and thanks for air filter help!
Not to my knowledge....

Just pour the oil into the Oil Cap / Filler neck on the Top of the engine bay.

Joe Z
Old 02-20-09, 11:30 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Everything you wanted to know about Lexus oil filter wrenches is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-changers.html

Lou
Old 02-20-09, 12:49 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

how much did you guys get quoted for the Oil filter kit,Oil drain plug gasket,Oil drain plug gasket ?

i got quoted $9 bucks for the filter kit,.80cents for a plug gasket, and $42 bucks for the sst.
Old 02-20-09, 01:37 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z

Hope this helps!!

Joe Z
Muchos Gracias, Joe...I talked to my Lex. parts guy here in Canada and he says the part I need is about $40 (Canadian) ($32 USD) and that he can order one in for me.
If I can find the yellow handled pliers type part you have pictured, I'll get one of those instead.

As we know, Lex. SST is not cheap but bearable in this case and what the heck- it's another tool for my evergrowing toolbox.....

Tnx for the link to the IS350 O/Change I'll have a look since it's much the same as the 'F'.
Also pardon the thread hijack...Could a mod separate these oil change questions into a separate thread please..

Cheers
Colin

Last edited by ISFer; 02-20-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 01:52 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISFer
Muchos Gracias, Joe...I talked to my Lex. parts guy here in Canada and he says the part I need is about $40 (Canadian) ($32 USD) and that he can order one in for me.
If I can find the yellow handled pliers type part you have pictured, I'll get one of those instead.

As we know, Lex. SST is not cheap but bearable in this case and what the heck- it's another tool for my evergrowing toolbox.....

Tnx for the link to the IS350 O/Change I'll have a look since it's much the same as the 'F'.
Also pardon the thread hijack...Could a mod separate these oil change questions into a separate thread please..

Cheers
Colin
No problem Colin!!!

I think your questions are very thread appropiate..

Looks like Lou has posted a link with some SST alternatives that are same in design but only cost a fraction of the price..

Joe Z
Old 02-20-09, 01:56 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lx470man
how much did you guys get quoted for the Oil filter kit,Oil drain plug gasket,Oil drain plug gasket ?

i got quoted $9 bucks for the filter kit,.80cents for a plug gasket, and $42 bucks for the sst.
Sounds about right....Here in Canada, the filter includes the gasket and is $14 CAD, the SST wrench is $54 CAD.
I've ordered one. Don't want to mess with anything else.

C.

Quick Reply: diy oil change