IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Tein Comfort Sports

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-09, 03:31 PM
JBLU24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Comfort Sports

I've been doing some research and found that Tein has released their Comfort Sport coilovers for the IS-F!
anyone on here have any experience with the CS line?
Old 02-14-09, 05:19 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't know they were released yet, good find! I found a link (posted below), the price says $1,700.00, which isn't bad. I would also like to hear if anyone has had experience with the CS coils

http://www.tein.com/price/lexus.html
Old 02-14-09, 10:54 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Tien CS coils, are OK.

They aren't stiff, and if you like the floaty type of feeling, these will be perfect for you.

On a side note, the EDFC option is very nice, you can adjust the damper settings from the car, which is the only reason I would recommend Tein, otherwise I would go JIC.

Sorry, Tein, has to step-up and include full upper-mounts.
Old 02-16-09, 04:38 PM
foup
Driver

I am looking for some info on the subject too. While I appreciate the car handling during spirited driving, I'd love to have the option to make it more comfortable during lazy commuting, especially at low speed over bumpy roads. I have little knowledge about the options out there but if anyone tries a product and likes it please let me (us) know. For instance, the TEIN US site (all this neon look is rather tacky...) mentions that the Comfort Sport has 16 settings. It would be nice to know how those settings compare to the stock suspension? For instance, it could be that their most comfortable setting might be harsher than the stock or, conversely, their most sporty one might not be as tight as the stock?

Also, I suppose this EDFC control unit is entirely electric (no pressurized liquid involved? It also looks like the installation job might be a $1K whole day deal?

Feedback appreciated.
Old 02-16-09, 04:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Tein's dampener are adjusted through the top of the coilover. You have ***** that you can turn. EDFC basically attaches an electric motor in place of the **** so you can control the dampening without having to manually go outside to adjust it.

Most place will install coilovers for ~$250. EDFC install shouldn't cost a lot..definitely not $1k worth.

Go with Tein if you want the EDFC feature, in fact it's one of the only few reasons to buy Tein. I'm not a fan of Tein though just because I think their coilovers are okay at best.
Old 02-16-09, 10:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I've had Tein CS for my 04 IS300 and 07 GS350. For the F, I think the dampening with the CS at the stiffest setting will be a lot softer than stock. If you drive your F hard, these are not the coilovers to go for. If you drive your F on a daily basis and think the stock set up is too stiff, these might be worth going for.
Old 02-16-09, 10:41 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tein cs on my sc430 and I think this coilover setup would be too soft for the F. I have mine adjusted to medium-hard and in stock form the F is way stiffer.
Old 02-18-09, 05:52 PM
AndyZ
Rookie

As long as they're properly set up they feel fine just becareful not to drop the car too much without rolling the fenders or the tires will rub.

Our MotorworldHype.com IS-F and I believe the Import Tuner IS-F are both running the TEIN's.

I've driven the car plenty of times since the coilovers were installed and while they can be on the floaty side its nothing that can't be fixed with adjustment.
Old 02-18-09, 07:06 PM
foup
Driver

I have been following the other thread regarding the JIC Magic set and it seems people are happy with it. I definitely do not want a floatty suspension at its stiffest settinng.
Old 02-19-09, 07:02 AM
JBLU24
Driver School Candidate

^^ true.
but I wont be tracking my F so dropping 2Gs+ for JICs is not for me...
looks like BC Racing will be taking my $$$$
Old 02-19-09, 10:24 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBLU24
^^ true.
What are they running for a set?
Old 02-19-09, 04:33 PM
foup
Driver

Originally Posted by JBLU24
^^ true.
Are you looking to lower your car, better comfort during commute and still low body roll during sporty driving? If BC Racing makes a set (adjustable) like JIC then I would be interested in your feedback once you try it. I am still undecided. But I definitely want more comfort (in the softest setting) and at least as stiff as stock (in the stiffest setting). Lowering is optional, 0.5" would do for me.
Old 02-20-09, 09:26 AM
JBLU24
Driver School Candidate

I want to lower it maybe an inch in the frt and a bit in the rear and control the rebound valving....
member Therealfig is testing out the BC Racing option currently....

Originally Posted by TherealFIG
I think that the F stock suspension is anything but track-like from the standpoint of the harsh damping. If anything it is over damped at high freq and underdamped at low frequency.

I just installed my custom set from BC racing over the weekend and the handling on teh car is night and day. A little more noise due to the pillow ball mounts, but I love the control that I have now. And the fact that I do not feel the bumps in the road in my teeth

before

After:

Fig
Old 02-20-09, 04:06 PM
foup
Driver

Originally Posted by AndyZ
As long as they're properly set up they feel fine just becareful not to drop the car too much without rolling the fenders or the tires will rub.

Our MotorworldHype.com IS-F and I believe the Import Tuner IS-F are both running the TEIN's.

I've driven the car plenty of times since the coilovers were installed and while they can be on the floaty side its nothing that can't be fixed with adjustment.
Hi Andy,
Can you confirm that, that the "floaty" side you witness might have been due to a soft setting? I definitely do not want more body roll than stock while cornering hard using the TEIN at its stiffest setting. It seems unclear, from this thread, how it would behave. Some people indeed reported using those but not on the ISF so I am not sure those comments are valid considering the spring/damper adjustments for the F model are certainly different from those on other Lexus. Thanks for your feedback. I am still undecided between TEIN and JIC here.