IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

So..How are you ISF owners doing in the Snow??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 05:36 PM
kevenhang
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So..How are you ISF owners doing in the Snow??

i have an AWD and already have problems in snow, you guys drive your cars in the snow yet??
Old 12-18-08, 07:12 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

A bunch of people put on winter wheels and tires and are driving them in the snow. A bunch have complimented on how well it handles I'm down here in Texas so I can't speak from personal experience but overall, I would say people are enjoying driving their F's in the snow. Fig just posted a video of him driving in the snow
Old 12-18-08, 09:00 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I have a winter rim/tire blizzack package and i haven't had any issues yet. I would consider myself a pretty good driver and have no problem with controlling the back end wiggles. It's a typical rear wheel drive car in the snow. I drive with snow mode on just to be safe if there is snow accumulated.

I have driven in two storms through 3-5 inches each time this year already without any issues. We are supposed to be getting a record breaking winter storm advisory tonight through tomorrow in Chicago, and I'll probably still take it to work. Yes its as squirley as you make it, but in the end it's also very tame and controlled if you drive it accordingly.

But drifting in the snow is so much fun. Vids to come hopefully!!
Old 12-18-08, 10:55 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DRE's post is bang on.

Here's a couple of other threads with this discussion:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-up-works.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-on-the-f.html
Old 12-19-08, 01:40 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cars with snow tires have about 50% better traction in snow. So, a 2wd with snow tires accelerates as well as awd with all-season tires but that same 2wd will turn and stop 50% faster. However, awd with snow tires is king!
Old 12-19-08, 05:35 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

So as stated in my previous post, I made it to work this morning after treking 35-40 miles through anywhere from 2-10 inches of snow. When I got to work I looked at the front of my car and I must have been basically snow plowing the whole way. The vents in the sides of the bumpers were completely filled with snow and the middle was packed too. I laughed pretty hard.

If it's an consolation, I was passing people in 4WD SUV's the whole way. All you need is to feel comfortable with the car and know its limits and snow driving is bearable.

Be safe fellers
Old 12-19-08, 06:31 AM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be testing mine out probably this evening when it hits us here in the RI/MA area. Before I mounted snow tires I always dreaded snow. I'm actually looking forward to testing the car's ability with snow tires.
Old 12-19-08, 07:03 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DRE1615
So as stated in my previous post, I made it to work this morning after treking 35-40 miles through anywhere from 2-10 inches of snow. When I got to work I looked at the front of my car and I must have been basically snow plowing the whole way. The vents in the sides of the bumpers were completely filled with snow and the middle was packed too. I laughed pretty hard.

If it's an consolation, I was passing people in 4WD SUV's the whole way. All you need is to feel comfortable with the car and know its limits and snow driving is bearable.

Be safe fellers
GREAT advice and as I'll be an IS-F driver in WI it's good to hear in all these posts such positive feedback on winter driving!!
Old 12-19-08, 07:12 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car handles great! I have Blizzaks though.
Old 12-19-08, 07:47 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ngl1145
I'll be testing mine out probably this evening when it hits us here in the RI/MA area. Before I mounted snow tires I always dreaded snow. I'm actually looking forward to testing the car's ability with snow tires.
Get ready its a big one! It's still snowing here. We have had to got almost a foto in some places. Changing lanes on the highway this morning was like "snow"-planing over a huge mound of snow
Old 12-19-08, 08:42 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DRE1615
Get ready its a big one! It's still snowing here. We have had to got almost a foto in some places. Changing lanes on the highway this morning was like "snow"-planing over a huge mound of snow
11" here, just starting to lighten but winds still 30mph+... for my future IS-F, Blizzaks FTW!!!!
Old 12-19-08, 11:57 AM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so I just tested the IS-F in the snow. I'm running the Blizzaks LM-25. I found that my car behaved better and was able to accelerate better from a stop in "NON" snow mode. I realize that snow mode limits the acceleration, but I also wonder if it also changes the behavior of the traction control. This was my first rear wheel drive car that didn't have problems going up the hill in my development. Snow tires are a definite improvement. I did turn back around when I saw a pontiac with it's front end smashed in because it hit a telephone pole. I didn't feel like recking a $60,000 car.

For those of you who tested your F's out, did you find it better with snow mode on or off.
Old 12-19-08, 01:32 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ngl1145
Ok, so I just tested the IS-F in the snow. I'm running the Blizzaks LM-25. I found that my car behaved better and was able to accelerate better from a stop in "NON" snow mode. I realize that snow mode limits the acceleration, but I also wonder if it also changes the behavior of the traction control. This was my first rear wheel drive car that didn't have problems going up the hill in my development. Snow tires are a definite improvement. I did turn back around when I saw a pontiac with it's front end smashed in because it hit a telephone pole. I didn't feel like recking a $60,000 car.

For those of you who tested your F's out, did you find it better with snow mode on or off.
I always run mine in snow mode now. I find there's too much torque at the bottom and it's more difficult not to spin the wheels just by feathering the throttle. Snow mode makes it easier to accelerate from a dead stop.
Old 12-19-08, 01:35 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I always run mine in snow mode now. I find there's too much torque at the bottom and it's more difficult not to spin the wheels just by feathering the throttle. Snow mode makes it easier to accelerate from a dead stop.
I guess I'll have to give it another attempt tomorrow.
Old 12-19-08, 03:18 PM
wrxtoisf
Driver School Candidate

[put mine in the garage bought a cheap pathfinder for snow and places where im not comfortable leaving the f, i always get banged up in parking lots! now i dont have to worry.

Quick Reply: So..How are you ISF owners doing in the Snow??